Metal Storm logo
Your Favorite Opeth Album?

Original post

Posted by Dane Train, 20.06.2007 - 23:51
A band that has been able to bring diehard Progressive Metal and Death Metal fans together, Opeth has had a stunning career. With one fantastic album after another, this tour de force has created a massive following. Like many great Prog bands, Opeth's discography does not seem to have a clear cut favorite of fans. So lets toss it out there, what is your favorite album. Also, please tell us why.

I'll go first. Blackwater Park is my pick. Is it their best work? Not sure, but it is the one I fell in love with first. A seamless blending of Swedish Death Metal and 70's Progressive Rock helped to create some very memorable Progressive Metal songs. I also think this is the first album where Mikael Åkerfeldt really began to shine as a vocalist and took the band in a new direction. This album also contains my favorite Opeth song, "The Drapery Falls" as well as other top songs like "Bleak" and "Harvest". Every song is well crafted and can stand on its own.

Poll

Your favorite from Sweden's prime Progressive Death Metal band.

Blackwater Park
Still Life
Ghost Reveries
Morningrise
Damnation
My Arms, Your Hearse
Deliverance
Orchid

Total votes: 433
16.08.2007 - 19:38
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Imraghil on 16.08.2007 at 19:28

Written by Bad English on 07.07.2007 at 15:47

Written by Imraghil on 07.07.2007 at 15:37

I don't like Opeth that much, but ghost reveries is the best album.

Than dont wote because how can you wote if you dunno other album's

it's about the best album right? I think ghost reveries is the best album.

No its not best album previusly are better, but how you can say its best if you know only it?
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
16.08.2007 - 20:19
Imraghil
Written by Bad English on 16.08.2007 at 19:38

Written by Imraghil on 16.08.2007 at 19:28

Written by Bad English on 07.07.2007 at 15:47

Written by Imraghil on 07.07.2007 at 15:37

I don't like Opeth that much, but ghost reveries is the best album.

Than dont wote because how can you wote if you dunno other album's

it's about the best album right? I think ghost reveries is the best album.

No its not best album previusly are better, but how you can say its best if you know only it?

I heared al the albums and ghost reveries is more my taste than the previus ones.
19.08.2007 - 15:27
Katatronik
Angel of Lust
I love still life, even more than the successful Blackwater Park, but not for its amazing progressive touch, but because of its magical aura all album long, especially in The Moor, Godhead's Lament and White Cluster, their top songs of that album in my opinion.
----

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear,
and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown."
Howard Phillips Lovecraft
22.08.2007 - 12:54
Quendastil
This is a hard choice. I choose Blackwater Park, I feel it isn't the most complete album or the most entertaining, but it was the first thing heard of Opeth and I fall in love with it every time I listen to it.
----
He walks... slipping feet from steps at random... he falls
22.08.2007 - 15:24
Infurnace
I have two albums to choose from. My favorite albums are "Blackwater Park" and "Ghost Reveries", but my vote will go to "Ghost Reveries". That's because I listen to that album the most, and it has some beautiful acoustic songs on it, which I really like. All the songs on the record are great.
19.09.2007 - 09:51
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
Blackwater Park - the album that first got me into Opeth, anmd sti;ll their greatest release to date
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
07.11.2007 - 19:14
Philaenas
Account deleted
I still have to Blackwater Park. This album just contains the most fantastic songs in "Blackwater Park" and "Bleak". "Harvest" and "The Drapery Falls" are true masterpieces as well. Although, this choice was still very hard as Still Life and My Arms Your Hearse are miracles of musical genius as well.
27.11.2007 - 12:40
the prisoner
Blackwater Park was the first Opeth release i heard, well written and recorded and a great atmosphere, still my favourite from them!
27.11.2007 - 16:57
FOOCK Nam
No voting, 'cause I know only 2 stuff, Ghost Reveries and Still Life. Well, I only enjoy their ballads . Gotta listen more;)
28.11.2007 - 21:39
Kharn
Account deleted
It was Between still life and Blackwater park for me...but seeing as i had to make a choice i put down still life.

Maybe it's cause i heard that one last and aint bored of the songs yet.

Face of melinda and benighted are both excellent.
29.11.2007 - 03:48
duyhung
Account deleted
Written by FOOCK Nam on 27.11.2007 at 16:57

Well, I only enjoy their ballads . Gotta listen more;)

So i suppose you may also like their proggy album 'Damnation'. just give it a try and you'll see
29.11.2007 - 15:21
FOOCK Nam
Written by Guest on 29.11.2007 at 03:48

So i suppose you may also like their proggy album 'Damnation'. just give it a try and you'll see

Thanks for the recommendation. I dont know why I cant get into Opeth. Do you think or feel that their music is too heavy?
29.11.2007 - 19:16
Nilla
Account deleted
Feeling very average here since I would choose Blackwater park followed by either Still life or Morningrise. Blackwater park since it is such a good mixture of their calm and more heavier style and also has some of my favourite Opeth songs in it.
30.11.2007 - 02:58
duyhung
Account deleted
Written by FOOCK Nam on 29.11.2007 at 15:21

Written by Guest on 29.11.2007 at 03:48

Thanks for the recommendation. I dont know why I cant get into Opeth. Do you think or feel that their music is too heavy?

Nope, not at all , i feel very pleasant listening to 'Blackwater Park' album every night before sleep
30.11.2007 - 07:26
ChasingEuphoria
Account deleted
i picked blackwater park because thats what got me into them and i think its their best album
though every other album is amazing too
30.11.2007 - 14:30
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
I just can't decide. I would probably vote on "still life" if my life depended on it. But "my arms, your hearse" is up there too and orchid and oh... See why I cant vote? lol

Really "still life" and "my arms, your hearse" are my favourites, of that im sure.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
01.12.2007 - 15:58
Timsen
Account deleted
Blackwater Park for sure.
To my mind it's much more atmospherical then their other albums.
A dark masterpiece!
10.12.2007 - 19:29
RockeRoy
every album is great but Morningrise even though Mikal akerfileld can't stand listening to it him self anymore:) and deliverence
----
You found god? If nobody claims him in thirty days, he's yours

Walk with me in hell
19.01.2008 - 10:07
Seigneur Poison
Account deleted
I was get into Opeth thanks to Black Water Park.
Its not only my Opeth´s favorite album, is one of all my favorites albums i ever hear.
It have an exellent atmosphere, a really good combination of heavy and melodic elements.
19.01.2008 - 12:34
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Morningrise...
That Album is perfect in every single way...
The bass lines are the best that I've heard in a very loooong time. The vocals are so sad.. you can feel the madness and sadness in Mikael's vocals.

Nectar is my favorite song of Opeth... When Mikael screams the lines like "I swear I will always love you" or the last scream before one of the best solos in Opeth's discography
"Drifting moons thrust me with their rays
And I fall inside"

You can feel how miserable the person is...
For me is the most beautiful album. And it has one of the best ballad, To Bid you Farewell... depressing as hell.

One more thing...
Have you guys noticed that almost all the people that vote to Blackwater Park.. is mostly because is the album that got them into Opeth?

I love Blackwater Park.. so don't take me wrong... but it's lacks the sad and insane atmosphere.
For me the list of my favorite Opeth albums is like this:

1- Morningrise
2- My Arms Your Hearse [This album is very close to Morningrise... Because the vocal work is almost as good as Morningrise... and the drums are better... but no the bass lines xD anyway "April Ethereal" is also one of my favorite songs...close to nectar.]
3- Blackwater Park
4- Still Life [Very hard to put Still Life in the 4th place.. sometimes it changes with Blackwater Park]
5- Damnation
6- Deliverance
7- Orchid
8- Ghost Reveries [This album is soooo damm overrated IMO... and boring as f*ck]
----
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
25.02.2008 - 23:42
Sepulchre
Lord Hypnos
Ghost Reveries for sure. its the first album I heard from Opeth and it caused me to get into the rest of it, and Opeth is now one of my favorite bands. Even after listening to all the other albums thought, Ghost Reveries is still my favorite by far.
25.02.2008 - 23:45
Sepulchre
Lord Hypnos
Written by X-Ray Rod on 19.01.2008 at 12:34

1- Morningrise
2- My Arms Your Hearse [This album is very close to Morningrise... Because the vocal work is almost as good as Morningrise... and the drums are better... but no the bass lines xD anyway "April Ethereal" is also one of my favorite songs...close to nectar.]
3- Blackwater Park
4- Still Life [Very hard to put Still Life in the 4th place.. sometimes it changes with Blackwater Park]
5- Damnation
6- Deliverance
7- Orchid
8- Ghost Reveries [This album is soooo damm overrated IMO... and boring as f*ck]

If you ask me, Blackwater Park is Opeth's most overrated ablum, not Ghost Reveries.
26.02.2008 - 00:26
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
My Top 4: 1. Morningrise, 2. Still Life, 3. My Arms Your Hearse, 4. Deliverance
Two perfect albums, a great album, and my personal preference.
I don't think Ghost Reveries is overrated at all, it deserves praise but it is the newest so of course it must be bashed.
I liked the addition of Per for a change and once Watershed comes out maybe that will misdirect the animosity.
26.02.2008 - 01:18
ß
Problem?
I voted Black Water Park even though its overrated. It was hard to choose because all their cd's are good in their own way
----
My music blog - Updated regularly.
To live is to think - Cicero
26.02.2008 - 04:28
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Orchid is my least less favourite
26.02.2008 - 06:32
NOИ
I remember one song called Demon Of The Fall, it was my favourite from Opeth, that's why I choose the album My Arms, Your Hearse.
09.03.2008 - 00:10
Evil Chip
My favourites are Blackwater Park and Ghost Reveries. So I pick Ghost Reveries it has one of their best songs: Ghost Of Perdition and Isolation Years. Blackwater Park is a masterpiece too.
15.03.2008 - 04:36
Dreamwar_86
To Arms!
Morningrise for sure it has the best acoustic moments, and the lyrics are really good too ,great bass lines and kind of doom sometimes
----
Stay Metal !!!
15.03.2008 - 15:06
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
I can't believe that Ghost Reveries has more votes than Morningrise...

I just can't see the good thing... I like three things of that album:
- The Grand Conjuration
- Isolation Years
- The exellent cover.
----
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
23.03.2008 - 13:13
Wintermute
I voted for Deliverance. It was the first Opeth album I heard and it has effected me the most.

I can see it's not a popular choice though.

Each to his own, I guess.
----
Life is a waste of time.... time is a waste of life.