Metal Storm logo
Your Favorite Opeth Album?

Original post

Posted by Dane Train, 20.06.2007 - 23:51
A band that has been able to bring diehard Progressive Metal and Death Metal fans together, Opeth has had a stunning career. With one fantastic album after another, this tour de force has created a massive following. Like many great Prog bands, Opeth's discography does not seem to have a clear cut favorite of fans. So lets toss it out there, what is your favorite album. Also, please tell us why.

I'll go first. Blackwater Park is my pick. Is it their best work? Not sure, but it is the one I fell in love with first. A seamless blending of Swedish Death Metal and 70's Progressive Rock helped to create some very memorable Progressive Metal songs. I also think this is the first album where Mikael Åkerfeldt really began to shine as a vocalist and took the band in a new direction. This album also contains my favorite Opeth song, "The Drapery Falls" as well as other top songs like "Bleak" and "Harvest". Every song is well crafted and can stand on its own.

Poll

Your favorite from Sweden's prime Progressive Death Metal band.

Blackwater Park
Still Life
Ghost Reveries
Morningrise
Damnation
My Arms, Your Hearse
Deliverance
Orchid

Total votes: 433
25.03.2008 - 10:13
Daniel
Written by Wintermute on 23.03.2008 at 13:13

I voted for Deliverance. It was the first Opeth album I heard and it has effected me the most.

I can see it's not a popular choice though.

Each to his own, I guess.

Yeah... You would.

NOOB!

ILY RILEY
----
In The Cold Winds of Nowhere
23.05.2008 - 21:09
Ka Tet
Blackwater Park was my first Opeth album & while I liked it a lot it wasn't until I heard the song Deliverance that I started to go buy up everything I could. Something about that song really got me. The middle part with the steady drums and the almost haunting vocals that breaks into the subtle acoustic chorus. Every time I heard it, it stayed with me all day.

Then I bought Damnation and my choice was made for me. That album is on my top 10 of all time and even though it lacks the heaviness of any other Opeth album it will always be my favorite. The amazing ear catching riff in Closure caused me to immediately pick up my guitar and wheedle my way through it. I love the halting lyrics in In My Time Of Need.

I think I like every Opeth song I've heard (which is rare for me as bands usually have a few songs I don't really like, even my favorites). I can listen to them all day long, but if I had to pick only one that would be Damnation.
23.05.2008 - 22:42
Metal_Militia
//Still Life is my favorite Opeth album. I love every song, and i can just put it in my cd player and listen to it straight through in one sitting. Great album top to bottom. There is a great mix between vocal ranges in that album. Face Of melinda comes on and the intro is so soft and melodic with come great clean vocals. Then the next song is Serenity Painted Death , which is a kick ass dark melodic tune with lots of agression. Not to mention other sweet tunes like the moor, benighted, and godheads lament! I know i asked this question on another topic but no one responded...Are there any clean vocals on the album Orchid besides the very end of under the weeping moon? I own the album and have given it a couple listens, but the thoughts escaped me //
----
"When night falls
she cloaks the world
in impenetrable darkness.
A chill rises
from the soil
and contaminates the air
suddenly...
life has new meaning"

24.05.2008 - 14:04
TheBigRossowski
I started with My Arms, Your Hearse and that has always been the most influential one for me! Every track except for "Credence", that has to be the worst soft song they've written. Beyond that I could not say a favorite song besides the classic "Demon of the Fall". Even their "Circle of Tyrants" cover from Celtic Frost was badass!

After that, I'd make my order like this:

Blackwater Park
Still Life
Orchid
Deliverance
Morningrise
Ghost Reveries

..and its unfair to add Damnation to the mix, so I won't, but that's an enjoyable album!
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
25.05.2008 - 17:28
Freezer
I voted for Blackwater Park, a bit after come Still Life and Morningrise
----
We fly through this godless endeavor, we try to explain the black forever
25.05.2008 - 22:17
TheBigRossowski
Someone had a question about any clear vocals in Orchid in the other Opeth thread and once I replied about "Under a Weeping Moon" I had to listen to Orchid. What a great album! I think Opeth is pulling in a lot of fans these days, but none of them care at all about the old shit. That or they easily dismiss it. I met a girl once who said she liked Opeth, but only "that one soft album". Better than nothing I guess.

I also had to edit my statement because I wrote KARMA is one of their worst soft songs, but I meant Credence. Karma is a great song!
----
25.05.2008 - 22:40
Ka Tet
Written by TheBigRossowski on 25.05.2008 at 22:17

Someone had a question about any clear vocals in Orchid in the other Opeth thread and once I replied about "Under a Weeping Moon" I had to listen to Orchid. What a great album! I think Opeth is pulling in a lot of fans these days, but none of them care at all about the old shit. That or they easily dismiss it. I met a girl once who said she liked Opeth, but only "that one soft album". Better than nothing I guess.

I also had to edit my statement because I wrote KARMA is one of their worst soft songs, but I meant Credence. Karma is a great song!

I've turned a lot of people on to Opeth by getting them to listen to Damnation. These are people who are turned off by death metal vocals, but then I get them to listen to more Opeth and they start to appreciate them more. Opeth is like the gateway drug to death metal.
26.05.2008 - 05:56
HugeTheConqeror
Ghost Reveries is by far my favorite. So many outside influences are apparent listening to this album, from Jazz, to Pink Floyd-style prog. What really stands out to me on this one though is the heavy influence that Deep Purple has had on the songwriting. The organ at the beginning of "The Baying of the Hounds" is pure John Lords.
----
Pardon me while I wreak my vengeance.
26.05.2008 - 06:01
Metal_Militia

//Just to clarify something, im a big opeth fan! I own all their albums and have given them all listens, Just not Orchid in a while so that prompted the question. I started listening to them about 3 years ago and love their old stuff too//
----
"When night falls
she cloaks the world
A chill rises
from the soil
and contaminates the air
suddenly...
life has new meaning"

26.05.2008 - 11:39
TheBigRossowski
Written by Metal_Militia on 26.05.2008 at 06:01

//Just to clarify something, im a big opeth fan! I own all their albums and have given them all listens, Just not Orchid in a while so that prompted the question. I started listening to them about 3 years ago and love their old stuff too//

NO! I wasn't talking about you. Not saying anything about that, I just meant it was a good post that got me to listen to a classic album again! Well, the last time I listened to Orchid wasn't THAT long ago (late April I think), but I needed another listen.

I was referring to people back home. When I was in High School Damnation had just come out. It was a small school (75 people in my grade) and most of them were "country" people. No one liked Opeth when I tried to talk about it. I was ONE of the first metalheads there which is weird, but it was a new High School. Anyways, years later when I went to Texas to visit, I saw this old friend and she asked me if I had listened to "Ghost Reveries". It was cool, but at the same time, I thought "just what the fuck were you thinking about 2 years ago!"
----
26.05.2008 - 17:03
Metal_Militia
Written by TheBigRossowski on 26.05.2008 at 11:39

Written by Metal_Militia on 26.05.2008 at 06:01

NO! I wasn't talking about you. Not saying anything about that, I just meant it was a good post that got me to listen to a classic album again! Well, the last time I listened to Orchid wasn't THAT long ago (late April I think), but I needed another listen.

I was referring to people back home. When I was in High School Damnation had just come out. It was a small school (75 people in my grade) and most of them were "country" people. No one liked Opeth when I tried to talk about it. I was ONE of the first metalheads there which is weird, but it was a new High School. Anyways, years later when I went to Texas to visit, I saw this old friend and she asked me if I had listened to "Ghost Reveries". It was cool, but at the same time, I thought "just what the fuck were you thinking about 2 years ago!"

//Oh ok man man lol. My bad. Well yeah that situation kinda sucks, I hate that when you are the first to really grab a hold of something and are there when it begins, then next thing you know, other people are listening to the same things thinking it cool. Then you think to yourself, yeah, well i was telling everyone about this 2 or 3 years ago, what the hell? Same problems...pathetic //
----
"When night falls
she cloaks the world
A chill rises
from the soil
and contaminates the air
suddenly...
life has new meaning"

26.05.2008 - 22:22
Varegan
Hamranakara
I vote for Blackwater Park, but currently Im listening to watershed
----
Written by muthafucka on 08.07.2010 at 06:46

"METAL STORM" (LIGHTING STRIKES)
27.05.2008 - 01:42
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
I think the newer albums suck!! (except for "Damnation" of course)......

But for me, I've always loved "Orchid" and "Blackwater Park". I cannot vote just yet as I'm always torn between those two.
18.06.2008 - 19:39
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
This is certainly a decision that takes some thinking, Opeth being a band that could keep on releasing consistent and fresh albums. I would have to go with My Arms, Your Hearse though, i think the songs on that album are Opeth's highest point, memorable acoustic passages, good heavy chord progressions, just the overall feel of the record.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
22.06.2008 - 01:54
Passenger
Lost To Apathy
This may sound premature yet, but I've been following Opeth since Blackwater Park, and I really think they've topped themselves with Watershed, and have just released their best album. Watershed is just unbelievable.
----
You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it in the streets. You do it at home. The rest is bullshit and you know it ~ Mean Streets
22.06.2008 - 17:47
Elio
Red Nightmare
orchid...the most impressive debut album ever (considering the debut albums that i know ) love all the songs from it especially the twilight is my robe...the other two on the podium are still life and blackwater park...
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
23.06.2008 - 12:30
Memento Mori
Mr. Nobody
I voted for Blackwater Park
25.06.2008 - 00:32
The Thrasher
Account deleted
in my opinion blackwater park but watershed is close
25.06.2008 - 01:21
Dark Blood
The Avenger
Written by Guest on 25.06.2008 at 00:32

in my opinion blackwater park but watershed is close

Agree 100%. To be honest I don't think Blackwater will even be beaten.. at least not in a near future.
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
30.06.2008 - 09:40
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
My Arms, Your Hearse.

Blackwater Park will have to work more to beat that Blackwater Park was never my favourite, but I guess it is generally their favourite album. I still think Orchid and Still Life are better than Blackwater, needless to say MAYH is as well.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
01.07.2008 - 12:30
Candlemass
Defaeco
My Arms, Your Hearse
By far.
01.07.2008 - 17:20
-Soulreaper-
Had to go with Blackwater Park because it was the first Opeth album I listened to and it just blew me away. Although, there isnt one of there albums that I dont like. Each is wonderfully ingenious in its own way.
06.07.2008 - 14:07
muggerud
I voted for Deliverance cause it's the first opeth album I heard and "Masters apprentices" was like an epiphany to me. But I love all the Opeth albums old and new. But my favorite song is "Black rose immortal":banger:
10.07.2008 - 19:42
Oskmrgo83
Oskmrgo83
I voted for "Ghost Reveries". I think it's a gerat, strange, complete album for metal legacy.
----
Now it's time to... rock!!!!!
17.07.2008 - 07:10
BKaz
Account deleted
It's always a battle between Still Life and Blackwater Park for me, but really when it comes down to it I like Still Life more. I like the more depressing and darker mood on Still Life more than the atmosphere on Blackwater Park (even though the atmosphere on Blackwater Park is practically just as outstanding), and I also enjoy the concept theme on Still Life as well as the lyrics.. But seriously, sometimes I am more in the mood to listen to bleak and drapery falls etc... and I feel like Blackwater Park owns still life. So it is really hard to come to a solid decision. Both of these albums though are literally my 1st and 2nd favorite albums ever... so it says alot =]
20.07.2008 - 08:31
sq_xeper
My arms your hearse, although the first 5 records are flawless but that one its perfect
----
The only way to learn is be aware and hold on tight...
22.07.2008 - 12:33
breX
Account deleted
i vote for blackwater park because its the album that made me love the band.
04.08.2008 - 22:29
I voted for Blackwater Park. One of my fav albums ever, it's absolutely brilliant. After that I'd probably pick Still Life, Morningrise, and My Arms. I also like the new album Watershed
08.08.2008 - 18:04
havoheJ
Account deleted
I like "Blackwater Park" the most of Opeth´s releases but "Still Life" would be my second choose. The problem is that the most of them album are so various that it´s every time such a plaque to choose between them. I like the song track number four "The Drapery Falls".

Greetings havoheJ
15.09.2008 - 18:15
Bard_skald
Too difficult to choose one, but I consider Still Life the best Opeth's album so far followed by Blackwater Park and Morningrise...the order can change though. For instance, now i'm enjoying Watershed very much