Metal Storm logo
More metal guys than girls?

Original post

Posted by Valentin B, 04.08.2007 - 20:28
it just came to me right now, why are there more male metal fans than female?

the only logical explanation i can give is that girls are softer and prefer lighter music in general...
05.12.2009 - 16:58
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Saitenhexerin on 05.12.2009 at 13:45
God, that's so true. I have the same problem!
And that's why it is different for "us", who are really into it, to be taken serious.

It happened to me, when testing guitars, that people asked me what I want "with that ugly metal thing" and they told that these things "were not for girls". I mean, are they crazy?! Well, showing them that I can play, most of them apologize, but that 's simply incredible retarded in my opinion!

And there are the normal "girly girls" who look at you in disgust. lol
I kinda enjoy that, makes me feel special^^
Let's face it, we're a dying breed...but an exclusive one

To every female metalhead out there: Stay tuned and be proud of yourself!

...defendresses (? ) of the faith.... ^^

Yep...it's hard enough for females in metal to be taken seriously, but the amount of female "hangers on/posers" in metal makes it even harder for genuine female metalheads to be taken seriously. It is retarded, but lots of guys can't seem to fathom that girls can be as passionate about the music as them. I also get looked at as weird when I go into guitar stores, and I've been treated like a dimwit as well, as if just because I'm female, I won't know anything about guitars. Last time I got a guitar, I blasted out some Testament and Maiden riffs, and it's like then I was shown a cautious respect. I think women have a lot more to prove, because a lot of males just don't take females in metal seriously. I do think this is slowly changing, but there is still some sexism there, no doubt about it!

I wouldn't say we're a "dying breed", simply because there's never been a lot of genuine female metalheads, and the ones there are have to fight to be taken seriously. I don't think I'm special, but I am proud of the fact I've never compromised who I am for anyone. I've been passionate about metal for as long as I've been into it, and I don't think the fact I'm female should dilute that fact one bit.

Hehe...I'll always be a ''defendress of the faith!". Priest being my fave band and all...
05.12.2009 - 17:10
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Angelic Storm on 05.12.2009 at 16:58

I think women have a lot more to prove, because a lot of males just don't take females in metal seriously.

It's hard when male metal musicians/composers out-number females 1,000,000 to 1. Now that you mentioned it, I don't know of ANY great female composers in metal music. Even in duos like Lacrimosa, the female in the band takes a back seat to Tilo Wolff's awesome compositions. :/ I would sure like to see a stronger female presence in metal outside of singing and writing lyrics. Maybe you guys can help change that. ;P
05.12.2009 - 17:14
Ragana
Rawrcat
Written by Bad English on 05.12.2009 at 14:02

Written by Ragana on 05.12.2009 at 01:12

Written by VPeter on 05.12.2009 at 00:09

No, Girls just dislike the retarded behavior and lack of hygiene of the average metalhead

I'm not sure that an average metalhead really is as bad, but what can I say, I don't know all of them but I'm definitely not saying that there aren't such pigs... aye. It's just mostly I'm around very polite, nice and kind guys who happen to be metalheads.

Well some of guys can be like lil pigs, but metalheads live ''on street'' so ewery hour shour is not posible, but mainly men pigs are alcoholics, drug addicts and ''urlas'' but generaly wom,en care more about such thinks how men ,

Metalheads LIVE ON STREETS?! K7, what the hell are you talking about?
Why people don't like metalheads... well, yes, that's true. Stereotypes and a few bad examples make them think that metalheads aren't good people, their looks mostly frighten them. The looks of "urla", for example, doesn't scare them. XD But urlas are much worse than metalheads, I personally dislike being close to any of them.
05.12.2009 - 18:14
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 05.12.2009 at 17:10
It's hard when male metal musicians/composers out-number females 1,000,000 to 1. Now that you mentioned it, I don't know of ANY great female composers in metal music. Even in duos like Lacrimosa, the female in the band takes a back seat to Tilo Wolff's awesome compositions. :/ I would sure like to see a stronger female presence in metal outside of singing and writing lyrics. Maybe you guys can help change that. ;P

As sad as it is for me to say it, you are right... haha

I can't think of even one female composer in metal. I think it says a lot that all of my musical heroes and idols while growing up, were men. I didn't have any female role models in metal to look up to. And even today...yep, there's a small amount of women who play and sing in bands, but none that really compose music. At least not any in decent bands that I know of.

Me change it? I dunno about that! I do come up with riffs and lyrics, but I don't think I'm very good. I doubt I'll become a female equivelant of Steve Harris/Glenn Tipton, etc...
05.12.2009 - 18:30
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Angelic Storm on 05.12.2009 at 18:14

Me change it? I dunno about that! I do come up with riffs and lyrics, but I don't think I'm very good. I doubt I'll become a female equivelant of Steve Harris/Glenn Tipton, etc...

Well, you sure won't with an attitude like that. ;P
05.12.2009 - 18:37
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 05.12.2009 at 18:30
Well, you sure won't with an attitude like that. ;P

Hehee!

I think some of my riffs are quite good, but I dont have much confidence in my songwriting abilities...

I'd love to be in a band though, and if I was, I would want to contribute to the songwriting process. Even if it was only riffs and melodies as opposed to full songs. I did write a couple of full songs in my teens but....they were pretty bad!
05.12.2009 - 18:44
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Angelic Storm on 05.12.2009 at 18:37

I think some of my riffs are quite good, but I dont have much confidence in my songwriting abilities...

The more you listen to and study music, I'm sure you'll get better.
05.12.2009 - 23:27
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 05.12.2009 at 18:44

I've been listening to rock/metal since I was 11.

I've never studied music, at least not in a school sense anyways. I'm completely self taught on guitar. I sometimes think if I'd had lessons, and could read music, knew theory and all that, I'd be a better musician now. For learning songs, I've always played by ear, that's just the way I've always done it. I use tabs sometimes, but I find most of the ones online to be inaccurate, so I stick with playing by ear mostly! hehe
05.12.2009 - 23:41
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Angelic Storm on 05.12.2009 at 23:27

Written by Fat & Sassy! on 05.12.2009 at 18:44

I've been listening to rock/metal since I was 11.

I've never studied music, at least not in a school sense anyways. I'm completely self taught on guitar. I sometimes think if I'd had lessons, and could read music, knew theory and all that, I'd be a better musician now. For learning songs, I've always played by ear, that's just the way I've always done it. I use tabs sometimes, but I find most of the ones online to be inaccurate, so I stick with playing by ear mostly! hehe

I meant study music in both senses of the meaning. Sure, taking courses or teaching yourself about music theory and whatnot will improve your musicianship, but if youz think about it... Given the fact that you have been intensely interested in music for so long (I'm assuming you're 18+ yrs. old), you've been passively learning about such things as music theory and composition more than most by just listening to music so much. You might surprise yourself of how much you know if you just think about it!
09.12.2009 - 02:34
My first post here. woo!

you know, i gave this one some real thought. i think everybody here has come up with some really valid points.

women start off in this world with predetermind gender roles to fill; hence the dolls, pink clothing, the enforcement of proper manners, etc. they tend to follow those patterns as they age, out of habit and typical media ideals, and they think nothing of it unprovoked. they don't typically associate feminity with metal, and since they have been brought up thinking they have to be hyper-feminine, they don't give the lifestyle much thought. the metal lifestyle isn't something women will typically be exposed to without the men in their lives. i say typically because there are obvious exceptions. my metal exposure comes from my mother, who is clearly not male.

even women who listen to metal don't usually commit to the lifestyle very deeply, if at all. so that subtracts metal fans from the metal scene. (or, rather, differentiates metal fans from metalheads).

even more sad, a large percentage of women into metal are not into extreme metal- by that i mean black, death, and grind. we're few and far between. and that comes mostly down to exposure, i think. you won't hear sargeist or drudkh on the radio, and you won't hear malevolent creation on mtv. most people fall upon extreme metal after listening to more mainstream things first, and if women don't give the more popular bands a shot, how would they ever fall upon real metal? hell, i think a lot of women would really enjoy a lot of folk and symphonic metal, but it isn't exactly mainstream enough for them to pick upon their own, is it?

i don't think it has much to do with aggression or anything like that- metal as a whole isn't rage inducing. young girls just typically aren't brought up in an environment where exposure to extreme metal is likely or acceptable.

i dunno. i think all in all it comes down to your early influence and social influence. i'm seeing people from different regions have noticed different social patterns, thus making it rather difficult to come to a medium as to the male/female ratio.
09.12.2009 - 08:59
Kei
Written by Angelic Storm on 05.12.2009 at 18:14

Written by Fat & Sassy! on 05.12.2009 at 17:10

As sad as it is for me to say it, you are right... haha

I can't think of even one female composer in metal. I think it says a lot that all of my musical heroes and idols while growing up, were men. I didn't have any female role models in metal to look up to. And even today...yep, there's a small amount of women who play and sing in bands, but none that really compose music. At least not any in decent bands that I know of.

There was a very interesting interview with Lori Linstruth on Ragnarok Radio, it was a 3 part series they did on "Women In Metal." She was probably one of the most honest and refreshing musicians I've heard in a while. She basically said it was a pretty touchy subject, and that all her own role models were male. She felt that most female musicians in metal weren't very good, and that because of what she called the "threshold of entry" she didn't consider vocalists on the same level as guitar players.

Whether or not one agrees with her over-all assessment, it has to be said that if women who listen to metal are few and far between, the ones who are actually musicians in the genre are even more so. Do you think that possibly contributes to the lack of feminine interest in Metal?

If you think about it, there aren't a ton of female composers in general. In some genres there are singers/songwriters who are women, but across the board there aren't many, not for film scores, or for being hired out to write pop or rock "hits" etc.
----
Author of Femme Metale on Metal Chicks.
Follow me on Metal Chicks: http://metalchicks.ca/Keinans_Blog/
Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=lf#!/?ref=logo
Twitter: @KeinanLynx
09.12.2009 - 14:18
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 05.12.2009 at 23:41
I meant study music in both senses of the meaning. Sure, taking courses or teaching yourself about music theory and whatnot will improve your musicianship, but if youz think about it... Given the fact that you have been intensely interested in music for so long (I'm assuming you're 18+ yrs. old), you've been passively learning about such things as music theory and composition more than most by just listening to music so much. You might surprise yourself of how much you know if you just think about it!

I agree, I probably do know more about composition and stuff than I realise. You can't intensively listen to and play music for as long as I have, and not picked something up! I also play a lot by ear, which I've been told is a talent in itself, as a lot of players cannot do that. I don't think I'm a bad player, but I think there's definitely areas of improvement. I think if I've had lessons and stuff, I'd have at least had a head start with playing and composing music, but I am proud of what I've learnt on my own.

Written by Kei on 09.12.2009 at 08:59
There was a very interesting interview with Lori Linstruth on Ragnarok Radio, it was a 3 part series they did on "Women In Metal." She was probably one of the most honest and refreshing musicians I've heard in a while. She basically said it was a pretty touchy subject, and that all her own role models were male. She felt that most female musicians in metal weren't very good, and that because of what she called the "threshold of entry" she didn't consider vocalists on the same level as guitar players.

Whether or not one agrees with her over-all assessment, it has to be said that if women who listen to metal are few and far between, the ones who are actually musicians in the genre are even more so. Do you think that possibly contributes to the lack of feminine interest in Metal?

If you think about it, there aren't a ton of female composers in general. In some genres there are singers/songwriters who are women, but across the board there aren't many, not for film scores, or for being hired out to write pop or rock "hits" etc.

Yep, that pretty much echoes how I felt growing up as a female metal fan. All of my idols/role models in music were men. Though to be honest, it's not something I ever really analysed, or even took any notice of at the time. I just loved the music, the fact that there were no females in any of the bands I liked, was something I never even thought about. As I've gotten older though, I have come to realise the fact that I am part of a big minority in metal, and that it is very much a male dominated world. I'm not sure I'd completely agree with her that vocalists are not on the same level as guitar players, though I do see her point, and agree with it to an extent.

Yeah...I feel a bit like a minority within a minority. haha I think the lack of female musicians in the genre is perhaps a contributing factor in the lack of female interest in metal music. I mean, it was never something I really thought about while growing up, I just liked the music. But, I can see some women being intimidated by the lack of females in metal. At a recent Exodus gig, I did notice that I was hugely outnumbered by guys, and I did feel a little intimidated, and I've been a metal fan since I was 12.

Yep, you're right. Even music in genreral, doesn't have a lot of female songwriters. In metal, that is just amplified, and there's even less female composers/musicians than there is in other genres of music. It is a sad fact, but I think the more females who are passionate about the music there is, and the more female role models in metal there are, the more young girls who grow up will be encouraged that if other girls can do it, so can they.

@stellar lunacy.: I have proper manners! I think everyone should have them, and common courtesy...

I got into metal largely on my own, so I guess I subvert the usual ways that most people got into metal. (Including males, probably! ) I first heard metal through mainstream radio/tv, and it was always just something I was naturally drawn to as soon as I heard it. Girls are typically brought up in ways that would steer them away from, rather than towards metal. I've always been a bit of a tomboy, and still am. But I've always had a really girly side to me, and I don't think that's something I need to hide, just because I'm into metal.

Girls definitely would not be encouraged to listen to extreme metal. I think this is why the more extreme the metal genre, the less female fans, and especially musicians, you will see in it. For me, getting into extreme metal was just a natural progression. Although I never abandoned the styles I liked before, I just seen at as more variety for me.

I think guys are just naturally encouraged to do things like play guitar, while women are not. The males in my family were encouraged to play guitar, but I never was. It was only really my passion for metal, and wanting to play it that made me fight to get a guitar. I do think this is probably a reason why far fewer women get involved with metal, and even fewer to become musicians in that genre. It's just something that isn't encouraged. I definitely wasn't. And in some instances, is actually discouraged.

I do think early social/family influence has a part to play in why far less women are in metal, than men. I was naturally drawn to dark and aggressive music, and I don't really know why. Or even if there was a reason for it. Whether my tomboyishness, or unhappiness during my childhood had any direct influence on me being drawn to metal, I don't know. Though I don't think it did. Contrary to what some believe, I think you can be a genuine metalhead, and still keep your femininity. I certainly don't think my love for metal music has diluted my femininity at all, in fact, I see it as a strong assertion of my femininity, as much as anything.

Oh, and welcome to the boards!
09.12.2009 - 22:11
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Kei on 09.12.2009 at 08:59

Honestly, as much as I like the couple projects I've heard that she's been a part of, I think she is as much of a part of the mediocrity of female musicians that she describes. I guess she's trying to set an example for it? Oh, and I watched a video where she said that she *hated* jazz guitar... I think that might be one of her problems.
12.12.2009 - 16:12
danova
Well some of guys can be like lil pigs, but metalheads live ''on street'' so ewery hour shour is not posible, but mainly men pigs are alcoholics, drug addicts and ''urlas'' but generaly wom,en care more about such thinks how men
22.12.2009 - 22:49
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Is this a thread about Fat & Sassy! and Angelic Storm ? hehe
23.12.2009 - 22:59
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Guest on 22.12.2009 at 22:49

What do ya mean? Because we have so many posts?
23.12.2009 - 23:12
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 23.12.2009 at 22:59

What do ya mean? Because we have so many posts?

no cause you answer each other a lot, you quote her and she yours.
25.12.2009 - 12:05
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Guest on 23.12.2009 at 23:12

But I've answered and quoted a lot of other people in this thread besides him.
25.12.2009 - 17:40
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Angelic Storm on 25.12.2009 at 12:05

Written by Guest on 23.12.2009 at 23:12

But I've answered and quoted a lot of other people in this thread besides him.

dont get me wrong Im not talkin about a relation!
25.12.2009 - 20:42
Muhannad Saleh
www.jorzine.com
Well to me yeah not many girls in filed but those who are do something big like dubai desrt rock the 1st and biggest metal fest in middle east was created by 2 females metalheads also jorzine co-founder which is one of the most important site in middle east is a female and also many of the record label media pomotors are females so females metalheads got the best of 2 things they think outside the box yet they are well organized and know how to get things done which to be honset not the most 2 things you can find in male metalheads .
26.12.2009 - 01:05
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Muhannad Saleh on 25.12.2009 at 20:42

Well to me yeah not many girls in filed but those who are do something big like dubai desrt rock the 1st and biggest metal fest in middle east was ...

are you sure? so for you Turkey doesnt exist I think!
26.12.2009 - 05:30
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Staff
Written by Guest on 26.12.2009 at 01:05

Well to me yeah not many girls in filed but those who are do something big like dubai desrt rock the 1st and biggest metal fest in middle east was ...

neither do punctuation marks, clearly
27.12.2009 - 18:49
Muhannad Saleh
www.jorzine.com
Written by Guest on 26.12.2009 at 01:05

Turkey is not really a middle eastern country is it? am still not sure, but last time i checked its from europe?
and sorry about punctuation marks, i will do my best to use them next time.
01.01.2010 - 01:33
JD
Account deleted

hahaha this is a good one
04.01.2010 - 19:13
Panterica
I still find the lake of girls who's into metal pretty wierd, I mean, all this sexism against metal-girls is so absurd. Why girls can't shredd or blow your mind with an insane double-bass kicks? Is there scientific facts I don't know about?
----
Li'ed - Prog-Metal from Jerusalem
https://open.spotify.com/artist/7aZWDrAAvDSLMaSmDSE8zA
https://www.facebook.com/LiedBandMusic
http://lied-band.bandcamp.com/
04.01.2010 - 20:02
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Angelic Storm on 09.12.2009 at 14:18

I think guys are just naturally encouraged to do things like play guitar.

i think that is largely to get the girls. if one's inclinations are to metal, well, the lack of women in the scene might make that nigh impossible - perhaps pushing the now-frustrated musician to further extreme styles.

but that is a generalization...
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
04.01.2010 - 22:20
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by BitterCOld on 04.01.2010 at 20:02

i think that is largely to get the girls.

Reminds me of this quote from This Is Spinal Tap:

"As long as there's, you know, sex and drugs, I can do without the rock and roll."

So true with some people... Kinda sad though when you have musicians out there who wanna make it big and have pure intentions of making great music.
04.01.2010 - 22:24
Holy Man
STEEL DEFENDER
Not sure why it's true but it is... sad too... because we metal men are destined to either spend eternity with a fat nasty metal girl, settle for a non-metal chick, or be alone forever... fate is cruel...
----
LIGHT THE FUSE ON THAT VAGINAMITE!!!
05.01.2010 - 02:45
flickaa
Written by Holy Man on 04.01.2010 at 22:24

Not sure why it's true but it is... sad too... because we metal men are destined to either spend eternity with a fat nasty metal girl, settle for a non-metal chick, or be alone forever... fate is cruel...

hahahhaha that was sooo priceless.. well the thing is.... that alot metalheads settle for fat nasty metal girls... so us thin ones dont date you people because you people are always busy with the fat ones sooo there u go!!!!!!!
05.01.2010 - 03:21
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Holy Man on 04.01.2010 at 22:24

How is dating a non-metal fan settling? o.O That sounds pretty shallow to me.