Metal Storm logo
Manowar

Original post

Posted by Clintagräm, 03.06.2006 - 00:23
As I sit here and listen to most likely the greatest band of all time I notice that there isn't a topic for them, so I decided to make one. Manowar are a band that you must love, and if you don't, you're gay. Haha, seriously though. They make some wicked music, though pompous, they deserve to be, I mean, they are the KINGS OF METAL. I do enjoy their upbeat attitude, killer riffing, and Eric Adams god like vocals. Very manly. I would call them Heavy Metal (or moreover, Traditional Metal) than anything, but they do have some Speed and Power Metal tendencies every now and then. Any fans?

And remember kids, while other bands play - Manowar kill.
15.11.2006 - 11:29
Vidrageon
Account deleted
Says the guy who likes Wu tang clan.

xP, I joke, I joke.
15.11.2006 - 14:43
danzig111
Account deleted
@Vidrageon: Do you like Manowar
15.11.2006 - 17:17
Vidrageon
Account deleted
Of course I like manowar, I just found it ironic that manowar's lyrics are basically "if you're not into metal, you are not my friend" and "wimps and posers leave the hall!" and this guy listens to the wu tang clan. Nothing personal.
18.11.2006 - 15:48
GreekGoodfella
Account deleted
How is it ironic, manowar in no way or form stress that you can't listen to other music I am into metal whether I listen to other forms of music or not
18.11.2006 - 16:18
Vidrageon
Account deleted
Yes they do, their whole "us against the world" shows a distinctinly "with us or against" attitude, they don't condone other forms of music at all. Sure it's childish and silly, but it still proves my point as ironic.

Every one of us has heard the call
Brothers of True Metal proud and standing tall
We know the power within us has brought us to this hall
there's magic in the metal there's magic is us all

Heavy metal or no metal at all whimps and posers leave the hall
Heavy metal or no metal at all whimps and posers go on get out
Leave the hall

Now the world must listen to our decree
We don't turn down for anyone we do just what we please
got to make it louder, all men play on ten
If you're not into metal, you are not my friend

Heavy metal or no metal at all whimps and posers I said
Leave the hall

Now the world must listen to our decree
We don't turn down for anyone we do just what we please
Got to make it louder, all men play on ten
If you're not into metal, you are not my friend

There's metal in the air tonite, can you hear it call
If you ain't got the balls, to take it you can
Leave the hall

Or this song, which I find a total shit manowar song, is still a manowar song

Wrote a letter to the M.T.V.
What's goin' on now
Don't ya care about me ?
Send the same letter to the radio, Ha!
But my party went dead
Like a shot in the head

We all like it - Rock And Roll
We all want it - on your show
Play it loud don't play it low
Blow Your Speakers with Rock And Roll

We got lots of stations
Around the nation
And the stuff they're playin'
It just ain't worth sayin'
People want music to get'em movin'
We don't want labels
We want music on the cable

We want it

We got lotsa stations
Around the nation

Hell, one more, just to prove my point:

In the beginning there was silence and darkness
All across the earth
Then came the wind and a hole in the sky
Thunder and lightning came crashing down
Hit the earth and split the ground
Fire burned high in the sky

From down below fire melted the stone
The ground shook and started to pound

The gods made heavy metal and they saw that is was good
They said to play it louder than Hell
We promised that we would
When losers say it's over with you know that it's a lie
The gods made heavy metal and it's never gonna die

We are the true believers
It's our turn to show the world
In the fire of heavy metal we were burned
It's more than our religion it's the only way to live
But the enemies of metal we can't forgive

Cause we believe in the power and the might
And the gods who made metal are with us tonight

We believe in the power and the might

We're here tonight for heavy metal are you ready in the hall
They have chosen us and we have heard the call
Gonna tear the roof off with our sound

Crack the walls and shake the ground
Fight tonight for metal one and all

Cause we believe in the power and the might

18.11.2006 - 16:51
danzig111
Account deleted
but i think when they say "the enemies of metal", they mean like False-Metallers and/or Posers.......Not necessarily people who are into different music.

18.11.2006 - 16:56
Vidrageon
Account deleted
God, I'd hate to do this because I couldn't really care less, but let me take this quote:

Leave the hall

Or how about this:

We got lots of stations
Around the nation
We don't want labels

You can't argue against that, really...
People who listen to Wu Tang Clan and Manowar are either being hypocritical, or what I feel is ironic...nothing wrong with liking other music IMO, listen to what you want, as long as your heart is true, but it is still ironic as hell.
18.11.2006 - 18:06
danzig111
Account deleted
wow yeah, okay that's true, you proved me wrong.....me i like techno-industrial as well. but oh well haha
19.11.2006 - 08:11
GreekGoodfella
Account deleted
LOL ah well I never really took everything manowar says literally, and If I'm not mistaken I remember in HOE III that Joey Demaio mentions been into classical, I think it was wagner, if I'm not mistaken. So I don't think manowar
hate all other forms of music
19.11.2006 - 13:26
Hyvaarin
Written by Guest on 18.11.2006 at 16:56

God, I'd hate to do this because I couldn't really care less, but let me take this quote:

Leave the hall

That (the bold parts) means they're talking about false metal/posers/etc., not necessarily other genres of music. What they're basically saying is "we don't want dickheads corrupting and polluting true metal", not "metal is the only respectable music".
----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."
19.11.2006 - 13:44
Vidrageon
Account deleted
Written by Hyvaarin on 19.11.2006 at 13:26

Written by Guest on 18.11.2006 at 16:56

Leave the hall

That (the bold parts) means they're talking about false metal/posers/etc., not necessarily other genres of music. What they're basically saying is "we don't want dickheads corrupting and polluting true metal", not "metal is the only respectable music".

Talk about selective thinking

We got lots of stations
Around the nation
We don't want labels

Look, they're extremely metal-elitists. If they are irl I can't say, but their music doesn't only not condone other metal forms (which I doubt, the album with Metal Warriors was made in 1992, just when rap and grunge was becoming a huge mainstream success, and glam metal was dead) but does not condone any other music at all. I always take what they say with a grain of salt, and so should you guys, I'm just arguing for my point :p.

Written by Guest on 19.11.2006 at 08:11

LOL ah well I never really took everything manowar says literally, and If I'm not mistaken I remember in HOE III that Joey Demaio mentions been into classical, I think it was wagner, if I'm not mistaken. So I don't think manowar
hate all other forms of music

As I've said previously, classical music is very closely related to metal; it, along with jazz, blues and rock, are the closest relatives to metal today.
19.11.2006 - 14:23
Hyvaarin
It's only selective thinking in that I selected a lyrics you posted and pointed out its meaning. Anyway, this is a pretty trivial argument - let's just agree that Manowar kick ass .
----
19.11.2006 - 14:44
Vidrageon
Account deleted
It's only selective thinking because you presumed what they meant and ignored any other possible meaning, and failed to use deductive reasoning nor even looking at the other lyrics I pointed out. But yes, it is *completely* trivial, and I agree
09.12.2006 - 11:27
eximius
Manowar pwns but why aren't they comming to Romania ?
09.12.2006 - 15:47
danzig111
Account deleted
Is their new release ever gonna get good promotion?!
18.12.2006 - 22:48
danzig111
Account deleted
Ahhh I just heard msot of the songs on the new EP and wow it is sooo EPIC, sooooo MANLY. I love it

19.12.2006 - 09:55
Judas
The Amputator
I really want the new DVD, it looks so awesome, I would have killed to have gone to that concert. They play (or should I say, 'kill' ) all of their classics, and it's in Germany, where their fanbase is strongest. I want to know, if they have a fucking album entitled 'Hail to England', why the hell do they never ever go there anymore? It's not as though they'd be obliged to have Bullet for My Valentine opening for them or something...

With regards to wimps and posers and Manowar's stance, that is made bloody clear in almost every song, but I don't think they're anti-other music, just anti-selling out, and while there are rappers who aren't sellouts, in 1992, they would have been crucifying people like MC Hammer and co, for their 'bling-blingyness'. And grunge was just like a really really shit form of Metal anyway, so full marks to them for paying it out (if they indeed are alluding to grunge and not something else). They're good enough to pay out almost anyone they like, so let them get on with purifying!
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
19.12.2006 - 12:22
Eight
Shapeshifter
I love heavy metal alot but I can't imagine people loving Manowar, i, myselfe consider it ghayish.
----
Book: "I am a Shepherd. Folks like a man of God."

Mal: "No, they don't. Men of God make everyone feel guilty and judged."
19.12.2006 - 14:16
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Judas on 19.12.2006 at 09:55

I want to know, if they have a fucking album entitled 'Hail to England',

What sort of question is that?
OF COURSE they do, it is considered their classic album...
After Hail to England they never ever reached that pinnacle of songwriting again. That album is flawless. And by many (including myself) considered their last good album. Although Sign Of The Hammer has its moments.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.12.2006 - 01:34
danzig111
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 19.12.2006 at 14:16

After Hail to England they never ever reached that pinnacle of songwriting again. That album is flawless. And by many (including myself) considered their last good album. Although Sign Of The Hammer has its moments.

In my opinion, that is FARRR from true! But anyways, yes they did release an album with that title. They are American and have an album glorifying England......At first I thought it was for praising their Anglo-Saxon ancestors......But then that might not be so because they are from New York and ancestors are most likely descent from Italy. So i don't know
20.12.2006 - 01:41
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 20.12.2006 at 01:34

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 19.12.2006 at 14:16

In my opinion, that is FARRR from true! But anyways, yes they did release an album with that title. They are American and have an album glorifying England......At first I thought it was for praising their Anglo-Saxon ancestors......But then that might not be so because they are from New York and ancestors are most likely descent from Italy. So i don't know

Somehow there there always seems to be a split between the OLD people and the YOUNG people. OLD people (like ma haha) always believe that Hail To England was their best album and that after that they only repeated themselves over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.
Come on, you gotta agree that after Hail To England Manowar only reinvented themseles, nothing new came out of their pens and guitars and bass and drums and vocals ever again. Some might prefer newer manowar (but for the love of the almighty God I can't imagine why) to the older one, but at least the older was the more original one.

Oh, and about Manowar being manly... hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha, come on they are the gayest band with the most repressed homosexualtiy ever... on the face of the earth. If a band like Manowar is manly, come on.. than Elton John, George Michael et. al. are all straight.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.12.2006 - 04:44
morbid_freak
Account deleted
ven't listened to much of them, In fact out of what i listened to i only liked one song. The rest were kinda weird. That really the only way i can describe it,
20.12.2006 - 05:31
danzig111
Account deleted
@Marcel Ozman: i think the old albums are good, but the new ones are amazing, the production, the epicness, it is just more professional and not to mention much louder.

and Manowar do appear gay at times ......but their music is for Macho Men!
20.12.2006 - 05:39
Judas
The Amputator
@Ozman: I wasn't actually asking whether or not they had an album called that, I meant that since one of their so-called classic albums (and rightly so, it's awesome!) is dedicated to that country, why the hell do they never play there anymore?

I don't think they actually take themselves seriously. I mean, come on, there's no way they really could, right?
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
21.12.2006 - 09:18
Eternal Flames
Written by Judas on 20.12.2006 at 05:39

@Ozman: I wasn't actually asking whether or not they had an album called that, I meant that since one of their so-called classic albums (and rightly so, it's awesome!) is dedicated to that country, why the hell do they never play there anymore?

I don't think they actually take themselves seriously. I mean, come on, there's no way they really could, right?

I surely hope they don't take themselves too seriously. I think they're a great band, but I could never really take them and their lyrics too seriously. As for their whole idea of them being just for heavy metal, I really hope that's just a lyrical theme and nothing more.

I'd have to say that their early work was their best without a doubt, particularly the first four or so albums, but I still do enjoy their later albums too. A friend recently sent me the song "The Sons Of Odin", of the new EP. It's a very good song in my opinion. Good production, good songwriting. Definitely will have to buy this EP.
21.12.2006 - 10:08
Hyvaarin
My favourite off the new EP has got to be 'Gods of War'. So man-beingly EPIC it's not funny. Especially when Eric sings "let...thy valkyries...FLYYYYYYYYYYYYYY" and Scott comes in with that awesomely powerful drum fill. God Manowar are awesome.
----
21.12.2006 - 15:59
Anathemani@c
Written by Eight on 19.12.2006 at 12:22

I love heavy metal alot but I can't imagine people loving Manowar, i, myselfe consider it ghayish.

Dude, there is nothing going wrong with Manowar. We must admitt they're a great band, they're aparted from fabulous musicians, who know very good how to play their instrumentes, Erics Adams has a fabulous voice, but they are "POSERS". They are always fighting dor the world, they are the only ones, they are the only ones to play real metal and stuff like this... However they are really good. But I hate it when they sing these things...
----
Trapped in time
A miracle of hope and change
A swirling mass, no mercy now
If the truth hurts prepare for pain
......Do you think we 're forever???
21.12.2006 - 16:08
Anathemani@c

Dude, there is nothing going wrong with Manowar. We must admitt they're a great band, they're aparted from fabulous musicians, who know very good how to play their instrumentes, Erics Adams has a fabulous voice, but they are "POSERS". They are always fighting dor the world, they are the only ones, they are the only ones to play real metal and stuff like this... However they are really good. But I hate it when they sing these things...
----
Trapped in time
A miracle of hope and change
A swirling mass, no mercy now
If the truth hurts prepare for pain
......Do you think we 're forever???
21.12.2006 - 19:44
danzig111
Account deleted
Written by Anathemani@c on 21.12.2006 at 16:08

Well that's what makes Manowar fun

and how can they be Posers when the Metal they play is true and they sing against posers
24.12.2006 - 08:44
Hyvaarin
This thread needs more Manowar!

----