Metal Storm logo
Kirk Hammett vs Dave Mustaine solos

Original post

Posted by K✞ulu, 22.05.2008 - 11:30
I am a big Metallica fan, but... I have started listening to Megadeth recently, and I have discovered that Megadeth solos are just very different from Metallica. I find them generally more melodic (if this is the right word) while Metallica have a lot of very fast and technical leads. However, if speaking specifically about Kirk vs Dave, I must admit that their playing styles rather similar. There are some differences of course, but they are not that significant. As far as my favorite solos by the two guitarists, they are:

Kirk: Unforgiven, Master of Puppets, Through The Never, Fade To Black
Dave: Five Magics, Holy Wars, Wake Up Dead (2nd)

My vote goes to Kirk just because I find his solos more beautiful, and he has more of those that I really like besides then ones I mentioned.

When I talk about my favorite solos, I am usually guided by how well they fit into a song and by melody (speed is not that important).

Talk about your favorite solos, so that there is no milk and water in your posts and so that we know what you are guided by when you pick one guitarist over the other. So I would like to know your opinion about who is better and why, and... vote! But please don't expand this thread to Metallica vs Megadeth battle; it's not what it was meant to be. Solos, just solos.

Poll

Whose solos do you find better?

Dave
Kirk

Total votes: 296
04.10.2008 - 20:32
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
I voted Dave. Spite I'm a Metallica fanboy I recognize Dave is way more skilled.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
05.10.2008 - 21:41
Metal_Militia
Quote:
Written by Branzig on 04.10.2008 at 19:06

//I dont care that Dave got kicked out of Metallica. See we are debating on who is a better GUITARIST, I really dont give a shit what James Lars and Cliff thought of Dave and why they kicked him out. They probably did because they thought he was an asshole and caused too much trouble. But it doesnt have anything to do with being a better guitarist. I wouldnt really trust James and Lars's decision making anyway. I mean they got Jason after Cliff died and he sucked//

I second that. Just because person 'A' gets kicked out of band 'B' because of reason 'X,' doesn't make person 'A' any more talented or less talented than person 'C.' This thread kinda turned into the Metallica vs. Megadeth war, not the Dave as a guitarist vs. Kirk as a guitarist war. I think the new rule for this thread should be that everyone pretends that Dave never played for Metallica and doesn't play for Megadeth, and that Kirk never played for any band period...

Except Exodus, because they ruled

//Thank You! Thats what i've been trying to say. Nice explanation//
----
"When night falls
she cloaks the world
in impenetrable darkness.
A chill rises
from the soil
and contaminates the air
suddenly...
life has new meaning"

09.10.2008 - 02:00
Guib
Thrash Talker
I prefer Metallica's first four albums more than any Megadeth's albums.. but i gotta say
.. Dave is my choice. I don't know why lol. i just prefer his solos.
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
21.10.2008 - 23:58
Murder
Dave without doubt!!! For me Dave the Dave's sound is more structured and heavier... I think he got more skills than Kirk...
22.10.2008 - 08:33
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Guib on 09.10.2008 at 02:00

I prefer Metallica's first four albums more than any Megadeth's albums.. but i gotta say
.. Dave is my choice. I don't know why lol. i just prefer his solos.

Written by Murder on 21.10.2008 at 23:58

Dave without doubt!!! For me Dave the Dave's sound is more structured and heavier... I think he got more skills than Kirk...

What about some solo examples?
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
27.10.2008 - 06:56
Dragonforce89
Account deleted
I think Dave is a whining crybaby i dont like him.
27.10.2008 - 09:44
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 27.10.2008 at 06:56

I think Dave is a whining crybaby i dont like him.

hmm ... maybe! didnt think this way yet lol
27.10.2008 - 10:57
TheVonBraun
Account deleted
Hahah wasnt mustaine the original metallica lead guitarist? then they got hammet from exodus to take over? funny how bay area thrash works...
27.10.2008 - 22:26
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Guest on 27.10.2008 at 10:57

Hahah wasnt mustaine the original metallica lead guitarist? then they got hammet from exodus to take over? funny how bay area thrash works...

What was this yet secret information used for here and what are you trying to say?
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

27.10.2008 - 22:34
Hellish Star
Dave Mustaine: much more emotions, much more intense, more impressive...
----
www.myspace.com/hellishstar

Metal To Infiity Webzine: http://users.telenet.be/metaltoinfinity/MTIindex.htm
03.11.2008 - 21:04
Demonmayonnaise
To be honest I like em both pretty much the same, but Alex Skolnick rips them in half...
15.11.2008 - 09:02
Barbaydos
Account deleted
Dave mustaine definately i reckong his riffs are better than kirks and so are his solos
27.11.2008 - 06:50
wormdrink414
Elite
Dave plays circles around Kirk. No contest.
28.11.2008 - 18:11
Stigmatized
I'm surprised at the number of votes Kirk Hammett has, when it's obvious that Dave is the better player by far. Kirk has talent and is a good player, I just think Dave is on a different level.
29.11.2008 - 22:41
Kirk is hit or miss on solos. when his solos flow with the rhythm and emotion of the song he is quite brilliant. however, kirk has a tendency to do show off solos that almost conflict with the rest of the song. really listen to justice and you can hear the difference. we can't really count any of the solos he played on kill em all since he already had the solos laid out for him by dave in which he could improve upon them greatly, which he did.

dave's solos are far more expressive and don't have that look what i can do essence to them.
17.12.2008 - 22:29
bierdukhelmsplit
Account deleted
To be completely honest, I think Hammett has better soloing skill. It hurts to say it, because I nearly worship Dave Mustaine as a human being. Dave Mustaine doesn't play a lot of the solos that are in Megadeth's songs. Most of them were played by Friedman or Drover depending on the era in question. Hammett has played most of the solos from the beginning, so the fact that the early albums were so amazing is testament to that skill.
However in overall guitar playing/riffology, Dave takes the cake.
17.12.2008 - 22:33
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Guest on 17.12.2008 at 22:29

To be completely honest, I think Hammett has better soloing skill. It hurts to say it, because I nearly worship Dave Mustaine as a human being. Dave Mustaine doesn't play a lot of the solos that are in Megadeth's songs. Most of them were played by Friedman or Drover depending on the era in question. Hammett has played most of the solos from the beginning, so the fact that the early albums were so amazing is testament to that skill.

So after all who gets your vote?
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

17.12.2008 - 22:42
bierdukhelmsplit
Account deleted
Written by K✞ulu on 17.12.2008 at 22:33

Well, since it's a competition of solos, Kirk Hammett. But that's because it was between Dave and Kirk. Glen Drover blows Hammett out of the water in skill. About two-thirds of the solos in Hangar 18 were Drover. And now I will go pray to Dave Mustaine to forgive me.
17.12.2008 - 22:45
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Guest on 17.12.2008 at 22:42

Written by K✞ulu on 17.12.2008 at 22:33

Well, since it's a competition of solos, Kirk Hammett. And now I will go pray to Dave Mustaine to forgive me.

No, actually your original post is very objective and unbiased, so and it's not because I myself prefer Kirk.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

20.12.2008 - 03:20
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite

About two-thirds of the solos in Hangar 18 were Drover. A

You woould certainly mean Friedman here. But guess what? Guess who actually wrote them all? Yep,... Mustaine.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.12.2008 - 07:53
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 20.12.2008 at 03:20

You woould certainly mean Friedman here. But guess what? Guess who actually wrote them all? Yep,... Mustaine.

"This tune was actually much longer, but got seriously edited. I remember walking into the studio and wading through the miles of 2 inch tape all over the floor. Clink said, 'Check out the lyrics of this song. It's about aliens and Martians, so play something that sounds like you are coming from outer space.' That was good advice, and from then on, I really paid a lot more attention to the lyrics in a song than I had before." (Friedman, 2002)

This quote indicates that Marty was supposed to play a solo for this song, so it was not written by Mustaine. And plus, it's very, very, very clear where there is a Mustaine playing a solo and where there is Friedman. They have two different styles. Mustaine has never played anything like Friedman.

As I told you earlier check this website.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

20.12.2008 - 08:17
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by K✞ulu on 20.12.2008 at 07:53

"This tune was actually much longer, but got seriously edited. I remember walking into the studio and wading through the miles of 2 inch tape all over the floor. Clink said, 'Check out the lyrics of this song. It's about aliens and Martians, so play something that sounds like you are coming from outer space.' That was good advice, and from then on, I really paid a lot more attention to the lyrics in a song than I had before." (Friedman, 2002)

This quote indicates that Marty was supposed to play a solo for this song, so it was not written by Mustaine. And plus, it's very, very, very clear where there is a Mustaine playing a solo and where there is Friedman. They have two different styles. Mustaine has never played anything like Friedman.

Well, it may Indicate, but it isn't definite. I would be more willing to bet that they Co-Wrote the solos. I mean, there are fucking eight of them lol. But as far as the general song structure, that was probably dave.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
20.12.2008 - 13:27
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Arian Totalis on 20.12.2008 at 08:17

Written by K✞ulu on 20.12.2008 at 07:53

Well, it may Indicate, but it isn't definite. I would be more willing to bet that they Co-Wrote the solos. I mean, there are fucking eight of them lol. But as far as the general song structure, that was probably dave.

As far as songs themselves, it's definitely Dave; he digs writing songs, he really is a good songwriter, but solos... no... believe me...
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

20.12.2008 - 17:03
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Sorry but with eight solos, there's no way it was exclusivly Marty...
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

20.12.2008 - 18:42
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Arian Totalis on 20.12.2008 at 17:03

what do you mean with eight solos? what solos?
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

21.12.2008 - 16:18
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by K✞ulu on 20.12.2008 at 18:42

Written by Arian Totalis on 20.12.2008 at 17:03

what do you mean with eight solos? what solos?

I have the official tabliture/sheet music book, and there are eight different solos througout the song. Even in the origional CD booklet, 8 solos are listed. There are eight solos.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

21.12.2008 - 16:26
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Arian Totalis on 21.12.2008 at 16:18

Even in the origional CD booklet, 8 solos are listed. There are eight solos.

Actually in the original 1990 CD booklet not a single solo is listed at all in any song. As for writing credits... Holy Wars...The Punishment Due, Hangar 18, Take No Prisoners, Five Magcis, Poison Was The Cure, Rust In Peace...Polaris were solely written by Mustaine and Lucreatia, Tornado Of Souls, Dawn Patrol by Mustaine/Ellefson.
So, Ktulu, it seems like Friedman did not write a single note for Rust In Peace. I think what happened is that Mustaine wrote all the solos as well and then Friedman gave his own interpretation to the one he was supposed to play.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.12.2008 - 16:31
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 21.12.2008 at 16:26

Actually in the original 1990 CD booklet not a single solo is listed at all in any song. As for writing credits... Holy Wars...The Punishment Due, Hangar 18, Take No Prisoners, Five Magcis, Poison Was The Cure, Rust In Peace...Polaris were solely written by Mustaine and Lucreatia, Tornado Of Souls, Dawn Patrol by Mustaine/Ellefson.
So, Ktulu, it seems like Friedman did not write a single note for Rust In Peace. I think what happened is that Mustaine wrote all the solos as well and then Friedman gave his own interpretation to the one he was supposed to play.

Hmm, I thought that it was the origional booklet, but maybe it was the re-release. All I know is that I remember sitting there with one of my friends when I was first introduced to this band (through this album) and counting out the solos listed, going "1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8....8?! holy shit!"
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

21.12.2008 - 16:39
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Arian Totalis on 21.12.2008 at 16:31

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 21.12.2008 at 16:26

Hmm, I thought that it was the origional booklet, but maybe it was the re-release. All I know is that I remember sitting there with one of my friends when I was first introduced to this band (through this album) and counting out the solos listed, going "1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8....8?! holy shit!"

Yeah, it is probably the re-release because I just looked in the booklet of the So Far, So Good... So What! Cd re-release and there all the solos are mentioned as well, whereas they aren't mentioned on the text sheet of the original vinyl album.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

22.12.2008 - 08:55
Eeric
Account deleted
Solos are mentioned on every re-release album, and Dave plays a shitloads of them, before friedman came to band.