Metal Storm logo
What makes you listen to black metal?

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 24.06.2006 - 23:58
Hey, I'm curious to know what makes you people listen to black metal? how did you started listening to it?
1st black metal song you listened? Is there any band that as finished that you wish them to come back?
What do you think about the future of black metal?

I love all in black metal, the ideas, the atmosphere, the vocals, drums etc... I started listening to black metal when a friend of mine gave me gorgoroth - pentagram to listen. I loved it and i went right over to a store here and bought the album, since then I have bought many Black metal albums from bands like immortal, nokturnal mortum, darkthrone, carpathian forest and many more. the 1st song i listened was "under the pagan megalith" (awsome track from pentagram).
I am really excited about the idea of immortal re-union, they are one of my favorite bands, I love all their albums (but specialy pure holocaust )
About the future, i think the good bands will always remain but new bands are needed and i don't see excelent new bands.
Here in Portugal we have bands like Lux Ferre, In Thy Flesh, Opus Draconis, Corpus Christii and more, in my opinion they are great but they don't have support to go on and this is happening all over the world.

Please post your opinions and stories

Cheers!
27.09.2007 - 15:38
Mad Laughter
Account deleted
When Varg gets out of jail I hope he starts Burzum back up again where it left off....I don't like the stuff he's producing now, even if he does just have access to a keyboard.

Warman, I usually use Filosofem as my sleep album, what about you?
27.09.2007 - 19:52
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 27.09.2007 at 15:38

When Varg gets out of jail I hope he starts Burzum back up again where it left off....I don't like the stuff he's producing now, even if he does just have access to a keyboard.

I doubt he will and many years passed by it wont be that Burzum and doubt ge will ebh so free, undercover cops probobly will follow him
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
27.09.2007 - 19:56
Mad Laughter
Account deleted
Undercover cops? In Norway? Bullshit.
27.09.2007 - 20:01
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 27.09.2007 at 19:56

Undercover cops? In Norway? Bullshit.

Why not, cops in civil clouts, them exist ewery where
Even cops in uniform can do it
----

apos;'
[image]
27.09.2007 - 20:02
Mad Laughter
Account deleted
In Norway?

No way dude, they don't give a shit.
28.09.2007 - 04:12
juliocb
I like the old Burzum albums for their agressiveness and lyrics and I like the new ones for doing hw, jaja, they help me concentrate XD
----
http://www.ballade.no/nmi.nsf/pic/carpatian_forest_01/$file/carpatian_forest_01.jpg
28.09.2007 - 13:39
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Guest on 27.09.2007 at 15:38

Hmm, I don't really have a "favourite". Filosofem is great though, last time I used the first album.
----
25.10.2007 - 20:06
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 25.10.2007 at 16:42

i listen only nargaroth. i like nargaroth's "burzum killed mayhem"single....that's true story's tale

Hahahha one of ugliest reasons what I hera in this tread
----

apos;'
[image]
26.10.2007 - 12:41
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 26.10.2007 at 07:40

why are you lauthing at me?Kariasakis

I dont lauthing on you but this is wierd reason why ppl like Nargaoth because IMO its nostalgy about past, about begining of BM
----

apos;'
[image]
26.10.2007 - 14:03
Tod_Engel
I suppose it's the dark atmosphere black metal has. It's not like that every BM band has that kind of feeling.
01.11.2007 - 19:24
moshnot
Account deleted
im guessing this has already been said, but i just love the brutality of early black metal
burzum and mayhem being favourites of mine
however, i've only heard mayhem songs from De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas, and wondered if anyone new somewhere i could get any earlier stuff
or is that all rare?
02.11.2007 - 01:49
rageing atheist
Account deleted
I don't find much brutality from black metal, to me it's more like listening to ambient, I tend to just sink into the atmosphere.
02.11.2007 - 10:26
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Tod_Engel on 26.10.2007 at 14:03

I suppose it's the dark atmosphere black metal has. It's not like that every BM band has that kind of feeling.

I agree there are some kind a tmsofere somehow tahy are amsters of criate it
----

apos;'
[image]
22.02.2008 - 20:39
NOИ
with one word: NEGATIVITY.
09.04.2008 - 15:25
Aei Ontos
Account deleted
Depending on who made it I like it for it's great music. Many bands simply suck, but there are some really valuable bands in the scene. I love that, really fast and brutal and than those beautiful screams and these awesome drummin' kicked in. In one word, beautiful!
09.04.2008 - 17:39
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by NOИ on 22.02.2008 at 20:39

Amen to that...
I also think that I like it because it's not "good" music... it's one of the darkest styles out of here...
The feeling is just amaizing. It's also relaxing.. I use some blak metal stuff before I fall sleep.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
09.04.2008 - 19:49
Lord TJ
Written by Guest on 09.04.2008 at 15:25

Depending on who made it I like it for it's great music. Many bands simply suck, but there are some really valuable bands in the scene. I love that, really fast and brutal and than those beautiful screams and these awesome drummin' kicked in. In one word, beautiful!

I completely agree with you man. So many Black Metal bands sound like shit, terrible instrument recording quality, and the vocals sound like a dying dinosour or just popeye.

The thing I like about Black Metal is that when im feeling depressed it makes me feel this carefree feeling, other times it pumps me up and gives me an evil feeling. Kinda like when you find a prize in the bottom of a cereal box...yea...
----
Visit the "Black Metal Page" on facebook, my page delivers everything black metal - Memes - Music - Humor - Interviews - Discussion.

https://www.facebook.com/TheBMPage
09.04.2008 - 20:12
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
I don't want to turn into a sappy romantic Pagan (hey that's not bad!) but I enjoy Black Metal because it seems natural. I know it's processed music made using electronic equipment and modern technology, but I enjoy Black Metal for the cliché "atmosphere" it gives off. I think each genre has it's own place concerning human nature, but I feel Black Metal to be closest to our primal nature as humans. It is the essence of our past in a form you can listen to.

Obviously a lot of bands aren't very good, and their image and attitude make the genre appear less appealing, but there are some very fine acts out there. A few albums that pop into my mind are some ones that people should know. Albums like Ulver's Bergtatt; Behemoth's Sventevith; Borknagar's The Olden Domain, and the list goes on. This music really brings me back to a universal awareness that I believe all things share. I guess you could compare it to the intense euphoria you feel when re-experiencing the past of childhood, or walking through the forest, or some other "spiritual" connection you have with the past of not only yourself, but of our race.

I hope that came out right.
----
The force will be with you, always.
10.04.2008 - 15:41
Ragana
Rawrcat
Written by NOИ on 22.02.2008 at 20:39

And brutality.
Black metal is powerful and in the same time - beautiful. I started to listening it, when I was thirteen or fourteen - the first band was Moonspell, as you all know it - there's some kind of black metal too. Then came Dimmu Borgir and other melodic black metal bands, including Graveworm and Anorexia Nervosa. Half a year later a friend of mine show me how sounds Immortal and then.. yeah, then I continued with Dark Funeral, Marduk, Burzum, Carpathian Forest, etc. I must say, that black metal is my favourite metal genre.
10.04.2008 - 19:30
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
I've been listening to a lot of it lately...I listen to it sheerly for it's intensity and that it pisses people around me off when I put it on in contrast to the popular crap that people listen to...I really enjoy the blast beats too...yeah and like what Ragana said...I find a lot of beauty in the combination of elements that black metal has...

@Deadraiser: You need to further explain why you enjoy the negativity of black metal...
11.04.2008 - 08:58
ItalktotheWind
Wood Troll
Well, as far as what I really consider black metal, Dunkelheit by burzum was the first song I heard. I just loved it. Something about the atmosphere of such melancholy and this "old" feeling to the music, like it was recorded before there was recording equipment. It sounds archaic and ancient, while being melodic and brutal.
----
"A witty saying proves nothing."
-Voltaire
11.04.2008 - 12:04
Sunioj
Written by Clintagräm on 09.04.2008 at 20:12

.....and the list goes on. This music really brings me back to a universal awareness that I believe all things share. I guess you could compare it to the intense euphoria you feel when re-experiencing the past of childhood, or walking through the forest, or some other "spiritual" connection you have with the past of not only yourself, but of our race....

I get the same feeling when I listen to Kataxu's Hunger of Elements, or anything that essentially sounds majestic, like it was made to project the listener in a position where all existential questions fall into place. I definitely see what you mean...
11.04.2008 - 15:19
Øyvind
Grave Digger
Probably the fact that they find a way to mix together melody and brutality, because there are black metal songs in languages other than English (Dimmu, Catamenia,...), and sometimes just for a laugh because of the dreadful production (all hail Beastcraft, the masters of buzzing and drumming on buckets ).
----
11.04.2008 - 20:43
Berfones
I love black metal because it is not a genre of music, it is a way of life (I know it's kitchy...), the darkness, the heaviness, the atmosphere, the temperament, the piercing vocals, the mind reapping lyrics, everything!!!
My first song was Darkwoods My Betrothed's "The Crow And The Warrior", I listened to it by mistake as a friend of mine gave me several Nightwish songs and this one was titled as a Nightwish song, I think everyone into black metal came to it through a friend or by mistake as it is so out of the main stream.
As for the future of it, I fear it looks grim, BM today has lost a lot of the power it had in the early 90's and if things will not change there will be nothing left...
----
Thine truly,ancient evil overlord
14.04.2008 - 21:53
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Berfones on 11.04.2008 at 20:43

I love black metal because it is not a genre of music, it is a way of life (I know it's kitchy...), the darkness, the heaviness, the atmosphere, the temperament, the piercing vocals, the mind reapping lyrics, everything!!!
My first song was Darkwoods My Betrothed's "The Crow And The Warrior", I listened to it by mistake as a friend of mine gave me several Nightwish songs and this one was titled as a Nightwish song, I think everyone into black metal came to it through a friend or by mistake as it is so out of the main stream.
As for the future of it, I fear it looks grim, BM today has lost a lot of the power it had in the early 90's and if things will not change there will be nothing left...

OMG you're only one who edd start whit DMB its awsome Finish BM band, and tahy had best lyircs form all BM bands , maybe Empyrium are better and Immortal, too but thay are awsome
----

apos;'
[image]
15.04.2008 - 16:30
Berfones
Written by Bad English on 14.04.2008 at 21:53

Written by Berfones on 11.04.2008 at 20:43

OMG you're only one who edd start whit DMB its awsome Finish BM band, and tahy had best lyircs form all BM bands , maybe Empyrium are better and Immortal, too but thay are awsome

I know, they rock!!! and they keep on getting better...
----
Thine truly,ancient evil overlord
15.04.2008 - 17:27
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Hmm.....well, I suppose one dominant element is the Unique style in which the music is played and the ways in which the artists portray themselves. Black metal, while mostly simplistic, still carries a very good and unique sound, especially if you can train your ears to apreciate it. Not only that, but there are alot of bands that cover darker, and yet more poetic aspects of life, as well as death. Also there is alot of focus on a natural atmosphere and setting in the music, which too, makes me apreciate it all the more. Then there's all the Brutality and agression, as can clearly be heard throughout it's obvious thrash/punk influence. I dunno, I like it because I like it, and I like everything about it (unless it's cliche' and ignorant lyrics...then it's just sort of annoying, but hey, the music is still often good.)
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
16.04.2008 - 16:14
Nox Lux
codebreaker
Because of the burgeoning and fetid pool of black sludge within my soul that encourages me to explore the satanic backwards messages of die-hard satanists such as Disturbed....they're black metal, aren't they?
I guess these days it would have to be more about the representation of sovereign heathen culture, and the overall evolution of the genre which is quite dynamic, dramatic, soap-opera-ish and interesting to follow. The sound is raw and dirty, but also fragile and humble sounding [depending on the band]. True black metal always retains that genuine nobility that I've come to expect - through the poetic lyrics that paint pictures of old scenery, cold weather and obscure commiserations for some forgotten god or demon, and also in the at-times humane tones in the screeching. You'll all be thinking that this is a particular part of BM and not the whole of it. This is true.
In short, I think more bands need to switch to a direction similar to those that focus on a more pagan and soulful approach. As well as more organic instrument use for creating atmosphere - I think we're all tired of overly energetic, farcical and digital electro-organs/synth-orchestras.
Not saying it has to or has not to include satanism, or that the subject should change across the board towards paganism. I just love the style that these bands also have in their sound as well as their mentality. It is less pandering, I feel, to the pressure that these bands feel when they decide to play BM. It's an old version of topic and sound in BM, but one that does not necessarily carry as much of the pressure within the scene as some of these melodic satanic bands. I also recognise the prevalent use of keyboards, but you know the type - the really synthed up, "too-much-going-on-I-can't-even-remember-or-decipher-the-tune-they-just-added-that-in-for-gimmick-and-filler" style that is so overused.

So that's what I like about Black Metal, what I prefer in Black Metal, and why I listen to it.
----
][{ ]|/ ][_ "][" -- ][3) ][_ /=|[ [( ][{ -- ][][][ |E[ "][" ]|= ][_

"Thoughts fall in season with the right stand, rake the land
This Autumn's early leafshed a recompense for Summer's wane."
~ Nox Lux
17.04.2008 - 04:14
Haightredy
I usually listen to Black Metal when I'm either angry, or depressed. First song I heard: Inno A Satana by Emperor of course.
22.04.2008 - 00:39
HeavyGabry
I started listening to Black Metal when I was 14 years old... the first bands I listened to were Cradle Of Filth and Dimmu Borgir... little by little I've discovered Immortal, Mayhem, Emperor and so on... the reason why I listen to Black Metal is that I don't know any other music that gives me such feelings... it's an incredible catharsis... moreover I partly recognize myself in certain ideals of this music so it is another reason that makes me love it...
----
Homo est faber fortunae suae