Metal Storm logo
What makes you listen to black metal?

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 24.06.2006 - 23:58
Hey, I'm curious to know what makes you people listen to black metal? how did you started listening to it?
1st black metal song you listened? Is there any band that as finished that you wish them to come back?
What do you think about the future of black metal?

I love all in black metal, the ideas, the atmosphere, the vocals, drums etc... I started listening to black metal when a friend of mine gave me gorgoroth - pentagram to listen. I loved it and i went right over to a store here and bought the album, since then I have bought many Black metal albums from bands like immortal, nokturnal mortum, darkthrone, carpathian forest and many more. the 1st song i listened was "under the pagan megalith" (awsome track from pentagram).
I am really excited about the idea of immortal re-union, they are one of my favorite bands, I love all their albums (but specialy pure holocaust )
About the future, i think the good bands will always remain but new bands are needed and i don't see excelent new bands.
Here in Portugal we have bands like Lux Ferre, In Thy Flesh, Opus Draconis, Corpus Christii and more, in my opinion they are great but they don't have support to go on and this is happening all over the world.

Please post your opinions and stories

Cheers!
24.05.2008 - 19:36
Metalhead2
Skinhead1
Written by TheBigRossowski on 24.05.2008 at 19:32

Written by Metalhead2 on 24.05.2008 at 16:42

Written by metalhead3 on 20.05.2008 at 21:22

i hate black metal,that is shit

Written by metalhead3 on 20.05.2008 at 21:59

i simple hate it,that sound iritate me

ROFL i cant stop laugh xD

Is there something here between this Metalhead2 and 3 (both from Croatia)?

It takes a lot to listen to black metal, especially that "pure" sound possessed by such bands as Katharsis. Sometimes you just have the mind for it though.

Everything in black metal is enjoyable for me, lyrically, musically, the atmosphere. It just is unique! The voice is my favorite in metal as well (besides Akerfeldt's death metal voice). There seems to be more thought going into black metal and it's on a level I can relate to.

we are from the same city, and he one of my best ( if not the best) friend. I know that you will say " 3 yEaRz d1fferenC3" but it doesnt matter. just like you already have a wife.

And Lyrically I do not enjoy black metal, I hate it lyrically cuz:
1.I am Christian(althought bands like Beherit are often played on my comp)
2.They scream so you dont understand them anyway
3.The best black metal made kids who were less than 20 so their level of lyrics is not that high
24.05.2008 - 19:43
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Metalhead2 on 24.05.2008 at 19:36

we are from the same city, and he one of my best ( if not the best) friend. I know that you will say " 3 yEaRz d1fferenC3" but it doesnt matter. just like you already have a wife.

3.The best black metal made kids who were less than 20 so their level of lyrics is not that high

But you do like Black Metal?
----
24.05.2008 - 19:45
Metalhead2
Skinhead1
Written by Warman on 24.05.2008 at 19:43

Written by Metalhead2 on 24.05.2008 at 19:36

But you do like Black Metal?

BLACK METAL IST KRIEG

ofc black owns all other genres(however im still not well into death and doom so i cant compare those 3, but from those that i have ever liked, black owns them all)
24.05.2008 - 19:47
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Black metal dont own all genre sist DOOM who owns there only 3 BM supgenres but doom has .... planty
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
24.05.2008 - 19:59
DIO Is God
Account deleted
Best part for, about black metal, is the musicianship. I love the orchestral movements and stuff that bands like Dimmu Borgir put into their music.
24.05.2008 - 22:32
Varegan
Hamranakara
Written by Guest on 24.05.2008 at 19:59

I love the orchestral movements and stuff that bands like Dimmu Borgir put into their music.

you love the same things that true black metal fans hate!!!
----
Written by muthafucka on 08.07.2010 at 06:46

"METAL STORM" (LIGHTING STRIKES)
24.05.2008 - 22:47
DIO Is God
Account deleted
Written by Varegan on 24.05.2008 at 22:32

I love the orchestral movements and stuff that bands like Dimmu Borgir put into their music.

Does it look like I give a fuck? I don't prefer just one type of metal. I listen to all. Does that make me not a "true" metal fan, even though I've listened to it my whole fucking life? So I like the symphonic stuff, it doesn't fucking matter. All of you "true" black metal fans make fun of Dimmu for getting success, and hate 'em for it, when all they did was clean up their sound a slight bit, made it sound a little better, and they sold a few albums. Big fucking deal. I find it awesome. It takes more talents to do what their doing, then to just stand there, play your instruments extremely fast, and growl, like the rest do. Like I said before, excuse me for not being a "true" black metal fan.
24.05.2008 - 23:11
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
Written by Guest on 24.05.2008 at 22:47

Written by Varegan on 24.05.2008 at 22:32

Does it look like I give a fuck? I don't prefer just one type of metal. I listen to all. Does that make me not a "true" metal fan, even though I've listened to it my whole fucking life? So I like the symphonic stuff, it doesn't fucking matter. All of you "true" black metal fans make fun of Dimmu for getting success, and hate 'em for it, when all they did was clean up their sound a slight bit, made it sound a little better, and they sold a few albums. Big fucking deal. I find it awesome. It takes more talents to do what their doing, then to just stand there, play your instruments extremely fast, and growl, like the rest do. Like I said before, excuse me for not being a "true" black metal fan.

Dude calm down, he's just stating a fact. That's fine if you like Dimmu, but it's true that black metal at it's purest form isn't the sound of Dimmu. I know, you don't care, but it's just a fucking fact, that's all, you're allowed to like what you want, we won't shove a hockey stick up your ass for it.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
24.05.2008 - 23:25
Valentin B
Iconoclast
lol, whenever i see this thread i picture some guy named "frostbitten_wolf92" replying 'the atmosphere of grimness... from the cold of the frozen northernmost fjord in which no life survives, only death and grimness dwell...'

well, the 'blackest' thing i listen to is Ensiferum, used to listen to Meads of Asphodel and Catamenia a little, but i kind of gave up on them. once gave Immortal a listen, but sounded too raw for me lol. probably the reason i'm not keen on black metal.
25.05.2008 - 00:02
Metalhead2
Skinhead1
Written by Bad English on 24.05.2008 at 19:47

Black metal dont own all genre sist DOOM who owns there only 3 BM supgenres but doom has .... planty

im not for the long time in metal so can you tell me all subgenres of black and doom or pm me thanks
25.05.2008 - 15:30
Damnated
Churchburner

BLACK METULZ HAS TEH MOST SUB GENREZ EVARR!! seriously.

i remember Lucas and i discussing this some time ago in a topic. we counted 10+
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
08.06.2008 - 16:04
OneWithMisery

What "owns" and what doesn't is really about personal taste, not about how many sub-genres one genre has.
----
Let me tell you something, pendejo. You pull any of your crazy shit with us, you flash a piece out on the lanes, I'll take it away from you, stick it up your ass and pull the fucking trigger 'till it goes CLICK!
18.09.2008 - 18:46
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Frost makes me listen to black metal. no seriously, he MAKES me listen to black metal or he beats me.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
18.09.2008 - 19:13
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by LeChron James on 07.05.2008 at 04:02

Frost. Frost makes me listen to black metal. literally.

Written by LeChron James on 18.09.2008 at 18:46

Frost makes me listen to black metal. no seriously, he MAKES me listen to black metal or he beats me.

okay, we get it, frost makes you listen to black metal. really funny.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
18.09.2008 - 20:18
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Written by Damnated on 18.09.2008 at 19:13

Written by LeChron James on 07.05.2008 at 04:02

Frost. Frost makes me listen to black metal. literally.

Written by LeChron James on 18.09.2008 at 18:46

okay, we get it, frost makes you listen to black metal. really funny.

cant be held accountable for anything i dont remember saying, be it due to intoxication or otherwise.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
18.09.2008 - 20:58
Janne
Hugin
literature lesson... i usually listen to black metal when I'm on edge
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
21.11.2008 - 01:16
Metalbound7
I used to hate Black Metal. But im a Die Hard Metalhead and i love Melodic Black Metal bands (Viking Metal, Folk Black, Symphonic Black, etc.) like Septic Flesh or Dimmu Borgir so i try to listen to Pure Black Metal and i like it but just some bands and some songs of them. For example i like Enslaved but Gorgoroth is a band i just can't stand. Anyway i love the fact that they are true with their feelings, and that they speak of things they really believe. at difference than Death that usally speak just of nonsence violence, and have stupid lyrics even when i like Death Metal music more than Black Metal.

I believe in God. But this is one of the mein reasons of why i like BM and their Satanic themes. If i believe in God, I believe in Satan. Both are part of ourselves, Both live inside of ourselves. And you have to understand your Evil instead than just ignore it like almost everyone do; in order to control it. Black Metal is like a Catharsis of your Evilness.
24.11.2008 - 06:29
Sandarameth
Account deleted
I don't know..listening black metal i am relaxing..listening to Immortal i can feel wind blowing through me..listening to darkthrone..mmm..i can see norwegian forests covered with snow..black metal is my live..i can't live without it
24.11.2008 - 09:43
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 24.11.2008 at 06:29

I don't know..listening black metal i am relaxing..listening to Immortal i can feel wind blowing through me..listening to darkthrone..mmm..i can see norwegian forests covered with snow..black metal is my live..i can't live without it

Good point I hade same fealings bvut only when Ijm listening eraly 90's albums not nowdays and originaly albums not downloads
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
18.10.2009 - 05:41
stephenssaiyan
Account deleted
I listen to it for its atmospheric, beautiful, scathing, epic awesomeness.
18.10.2009 - 06:31
Hellkommando
Written by Guest on 18.10.2009 at 05:41

You also seem to like spamming on threads in an epically awesome way. Now back on topic, black metal was the first sub-genre of metal, I have gotten into more ambient stuff and funeral doom stuff as well. For me I love the atmosphere of BM, the content and just whats behind it.
----

Formerly Desolate Gale
18.10.2009 - 06:38
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
Written by Guest on 18.10.2009 at 05:41

This statement conjures the sounds of Darkspace in my mind... especially scathing atmosphere.
18.10.2009 - 07:06
Hexenmeister
Black metal was the last major sub-genre of metal that I got into, but nowadays it's the one I find most interesting.

I love the organic quality of black metal. I'm especially interested in BM bands that combine folk traditions into their music like Windir, Negura Bunget, and Drudkh.
18.10.2009 - 13:29
Kimiwind
Speed Metal God
Lisning To Black Metal for me its like drinking Water !! i mean i drink black metal =P ..well i lisen to black metal over than 10 years now .. i heard that people started with iron maiden ,pantera ,metallica ect ..but that wasent the case for me !! i started with immortal specialy there song ( unholy forces of evil ) well and then right way lisned to zyklon and windir and Sacramentum , Old wainds , beherit , and so on ...
Talking about the new waves of black metal in my opinion its all going in the wrong direction !! there is no original bands anymore unfortunly ..still there are few but i guess cant bring back the old glorious times !! every band nowadays want to bring attention more than produce the music itself and the lyrics ( my baaad ) its all about an empty circle no sense at all ...is not like the way i lisned to windir's lyrics ..its all missed up now ..
Just to notice im black metal fan but i always prefer it when its mixed with ( symphonic ,orchestral , doom , melodic folk and atmospheric influnces ) and still raw black metal pleased to lisen ^^ ...
----
Wintermoon Calls you, Follow It And You Will Be Proud Forever.
30.04.2010 - 10:23
Michael13
I got into metal in 7th grade, (I graduated in 2008) then i got into black and death metal in 8th grade. The band that has the heaviest influence on me is Burzum. Black metal is awesome but yet i have those on, off moments with it, so weeks im loving it and its all i listen then some other weeks i get finish a cd, i guess its just certain moods. Burzum, Mayhem, Immortal, and Darkthrone are my favorite bands.

I love the history and its controversies, the hole Church burnings, murders, etc, the lyrical theme of viking paganism, satanism, anti Christian, and also the hole winter, cold atmosphere of it as well
30.04.2010 - 12:55
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I enjoy black metal because that's what my brain has a thirst for and is one of the few genres that challenges my preconceptions. I've never been interested in the lyrics, rarely (and certainly not anymore) have I cared about the culture outside of the aesthetic qualities of the album artwork and the fashion styling of shirts and definitely don't give a flying arse about the history. I consider all this a good thing as unlike the vast members of Last.fm I dont have the ability to be personally offended when someone ridicules or parodies my favourite bands.

Music is all about imagery, I like what a lot of black metal outfits do to attain a decent level of atmosphere and visual mystique though funnily enough winter and grimmess rarely make an appearance in my mind' eye.
30.04.2010 - 13:52
I_Die_Often
I am anti religion for the most part, so I can appreciate the lyrics.
But I do like clean production.
----
Old enough to be your Daddy... speaking of which... you look familiar... do I know your mother???
30.04.2010 - 19:14
SerratedSyringe
I just like the overall sound, especially the raspy vocals. The lyrics are always interesting because they can be looked at more objectively then just gore. I also really like the tremolo picking, fast tempos and blast beats.
----
Just another cog in this infernal machine....
04.05.2010 - 04:51
Got Mayhem?
Bah, I find it hard to believe that people can take the lyrics of any genre or music so seriously. I listen to music because I like the sound of it, period. I'll listen to Deathspell Omega and then go listen to Antestor or something. The message may be interesting, but at the end of the day it's all just words to me. I play guitar, not professionally but I do play, and I will always make one thing clear: I play music for me. I don't play for someone elses entertainment, I always play for my own. If I stop enjoying what I'm doing I won't continue at the expense of myself for the gain of others. To me that is what 'selling out' means. So ignore the lyrics if you have to and just blast merrily along.
----
04.05.2010 - 06:50
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
Black Metal closely mimics the intensity and beauty of my thoughts and emotions, It cuts the outside world off and let's me drift off to whatever place I'd rather be.
----
Coldgrits