Metal Storm logo
What makes you listen to black metal?

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 24.06.2006 - 23:58
Hey, I'm curious to know what makes you people listen to black metal? how did you started listening to it?
1st black metal song you listened? Is there any band that as finished that you wish them to come back?
What do you think about the future of black metal?

I love all in black metal, the ideas, the atmosphere, the vocals, drums etc... I started listening to black metal when a friend of mine gave me gorgoroth - pentagram to listen. I loved it and i went right over to a store here and bought the album, since then I have bought many Black metal albums from bands like immortal, nokturnal mortum, darkthrone, carpathian forest and many more. the 1st song i listened was "under the pagan megalith" (awsome track from pentagram).
I am really excited about the idea of immortal re-union, they are one of my favorite bands, I love all their albums (but specialy pure holocaust )
About the future, i think the good bands will always remain but new bands are needed and i don't see excelent new bands.
Here in Portugal we have bands like Lux Ferre, In Thy Flesh, Opus Draconis, Corpus Christii and more, in my opinion they are great but they don't have support to go on and this is happening all over the world.

Please post your opinions and stories

Cheers!
07.05.2008 - 04:02
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Frost. Frost makes me listen to black metal. literally.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
11.05.2008 - 11:23
Metalhead2
Skinhead1
I am kinda new to black metal but it is impossible to tell you why I listen to black metal...it is because it is great and the first album I have ever heard was Hvis Lyset Tar Oss and didn't like it at first listen but after I have heard Filosofem I started to like it too
12.05.2008 - 01:32
carlithrashinmad
Account deleted
What ideas are you talking about when you say "I love all in black metal, the ideas" ... because I have been losing interest on black metal, sometimes I dont like the lyrics, I would like to know your opinions.
12.05.2008 - 02:20
Necrogeddon
Born Too Late
well, firstly i heard black metal like gorgoroth and mayhem played on late night radio, and i just loved the controvery of the whole satanic burning churches etc. i love the vocals of black metal as well, and the amazing drumming. i like the poor production of some bands music as well, it just adds to the atmosphere when listening to.
----
'I wish you all had one neck and that I had my hands on it.'
12.05.2008 - 09:36
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Necrogeddon on 12.05.2008 at 02:20

well, firstly i heard black metal like gorgoroth and mayhem played on late night radio, and i just loved the controvery of the whole satanic burning churches etc. i love the vocals of black metal as well, and the amazing drumming. i like the poor production of some bands music as well, it just adds to the atmosphere when listening to.

Poor production are moust of underground BM bands who suck generaly because has no money for reals tudio and quail recording and I even dont lsitend such bands, there's to many of posers in BM scene, specely outside europa
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
12.05.2008 - 12:10
Hamird
Lieutenant
Written by Necrogeddon on 12.05.2008 at 02:20

same here, vocal and drummers are the most important parts of performing black metal.
first black metal band which i've listened was mayhem, and it was maniac on vocal. he was singing like a dog. i didn't enjoyed him, but when i listened to live in liepzig which had dead on vocal i really loved the voice..
but non of dead and maniac can reach to Attila's voice. he is just amazing. in fact no one in black metal history can reach Attila imo.
12.05.2008 - 12:53
KwonVerge
Odysseus
Elite
Satan makes me wanna listen to black metal.

Well, i love the eerie and threatening atmosphere of black metal, there's something freezing coming out. But every black metal sub-genre evokes to me different emotions, my favorite black metal sub-genre has to be the depressive/suicidal/ambient/etc one with bands like shining, xasthur, anti, make a change...kill yourself, leviathan, burzum of filosofem era etc or even doom/black in the vains of forgotten tomb, early katatonia, deinonychus etc, i adore the sense of decay, pain, desperation, disgust and rage that come forth while listening to them. Then, i like bands like drudkh for the sense of nostalgia they evoke. But also funeral mist, ondkapt, watain, mayhem, deathspell omega for their raw, yet in its own way affected sound, i like the negativity vibes that come forth. Well, too many reasons that vary, but i guess you get my point thus far.
----
Dec. 30, 1334.

...And the whiskey and wine entered our veins when blood was too weak to carry on.
12.05.2008 - 13:10
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by KwonVerge on 12.05.2008 at 12:53

Satan makes me wanna listen to black metal.

Well, i love the eerie and threatening atmosphere of black metal, there's something freezing coming out. But every black metal sub-genre evokes to me different emotions, my favorite black metal sub-genre has to be the depressive/suicidal/ambient/etc one with bands like shining, xasthur, anti, make a change...kill yourself, leviathan, burzum of filosofem era etc or even doom/black in the vains of forgotten tomb, early katatonia, deinonychus etc, i adore the sense of decay, pain, desperation, disgust and rage that come forth while listening to them. Then, i like bands like drudkh for the sense of nostalgia they evoke. But also funeral mist, ondkapt, watain, mayhem, deathspell omega for their raw, yet in its own way affected sound, i like the negativity vibes that come forth. Well, too many reasons that vary, but i guess you get my point thus far.

Whos' beck

eerie you mean early BM?
----

apos;'
[image]
12.05.2008 - 13:13
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
eerie: so mysterious, strange, or unexpected as to send a chill up the spine <a coyote's eerie howl> <the similarities were eerie>.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
12.05.2008 - 13:13
KwonVerge
Odysseus
Elite
The killer of trolls is back

Eerie.. meaning that it has a feeling not of this world.
----
Dec. 30, 1334.

...And the whiskey and wine entered our veins when blood was too weak to carry on.
12.05.2008 - 13:14
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Lucas on 12.05.2008 at 13:13

eerie: so mysterious, strange, or unexpected as to send a chill up the spine <a coyote's eerie howl> <the similarities were eerie>.

I see firts time when I hear eerie and it sounds lil' duitch

I aggree every BM band from Europe are eerie but those who reacodet thinks in real studio Im bored of pure quality one demo BM bands in myspace where quality are worts how in broken tape player
----

apos;'
[image]
12.05.2008 - 13:16
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by KwonVerge on 12.05.2008 at 13:13

The killer of trolls is back

Eerie.. meaning that it has a feeling not of this world.

xaxaxxa wellcome beck :p
Greek BM are awsome man one of origam genresd(from lyric contest) hellenic myths, pagamis, spartans, leonidas and HELLENIC themes into lyrics, one of best BM countries in Mediteraiia
----

apos;'
[image]
12.05.2008 - 13:18
KwonVerge
Odysseus
Elite
Well, the hellenic black metal scene is pretty interesting, although it will either have the sound of rotting christ, necromantia etc, the bands that settled the sound of this very scene, or a more norwegian attitude, take Nocternity and Naer Mataron for example.
----
Dec. 30, 1334.

12.05.2008 - 13:25
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by KwonVerge on 12.05.2008 at 13:18

Well, the hellenic black metal scene is pretty interesting, although it will either have the sound of rotting christ, necromantia etc, the bands that settled the sound of this very scene, or a more norwegian attitude, take Nocternity and Naer Mataron for example.

not all bands there was one band whit name Aris God of Brutal War and we all know what was Aris :p
It was 3 months ago when in MA I running true greek bands so I almosut forggot a lot of bands but almoust all was awsome

Tomb Of...
Acrimonious
Agatus
Angstridden
Athos
Bannerwar

Those are just fiew what I discovere in MA and also lsutened, even I lsitened almoust all bands from MA from Greeve what I liked, and Greek BM are uniqe
----

apos;'
[image]
12.05.2008 - 18:13
Damnated
Churchburner
Acrimonious are the only greek band i care for, and although they're miles away from being original, their stuff is quite enjoyable. looking forward to a full-length.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
12.05.2008 - 20:09
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Damnated on 12.05.2008 at 18:13

Acrimonious are the only greek band i care for, and although they're miles away from being original, their stuff is quite enjoyable. looking forward to a full-length.

Thay are underground even there my friend
----

apos;'
[image]
12.05.2008 - 20:19
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Bad English on 12.05.2008 at 20:09

yes, and i hope they stay that way.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
12.05.2008 - 20:25
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Damnated on 12.05.2008 at 20:19

Written by Bad English on 12.05.2008 at 20:09

yes, and i hope they stay that way.

me to but till we can get soem music to listen yes
----

apos;'
[image]
12.05.2008 - 23:54
Fucked Upstairs!
Account deleted
i listen to (raw/atmospheric/experimental/depressive) black metal because it takes me to a higher level of perception and reflects my thoughts, feelings and ideology into musical form. i think the first black metal bands i listend to was hellhammer if i'm not mistaken, followed by forgotten woods right after. for some odd reason, i never was into any of the norwegian big bands, i never bothered to check them out.
12.05.2008 - 23:59
Cocacolacowboy
Account deleted
i like the really raw,primitive side of black metal,where the bands verge on hardcore.i also like the avant garde experimental aspects when done right.

however i cant say i'm a big fan of the super slick, overproduced stuff with the cheesy opera bits. its also lame when those bands feel the whole *evil* image is more important than the music.
13.05.2008 - 00:33
Gordon Freeman
I appreciate Black Metal for the whole "Wall of Sound" approach. But I rarely listen to "True" black metal. I'm more into the kinds of bands that have evolved out of BM, Arcturus, Borknagar and Enslaved to name a few.

But I will listen to the real stuff every now and again.

I especially enjoy Judas Iscariot, old-Ulver and the early works of some of the more popular black metal bands such as Dark Medieval Times era Satyricon.
----
God Dammit Doug! Take off your hat, Night Moves is playing. Don't be a prick man!

http://www.last.fm/user/Axl_The_Viking
18.05.2008 - 06:33
Haightredy
I usually listen to Black Metal in depression, or anger. I mostly like the more melodic Black Metal bands like Emperor, or the really heay bands where you can't even tell whats going on.
20.05.2008 - 11:15
Aei Ontos
Account deleted
I started long ago with slechtvalk, but that sucks almost to much to name it. Now I'd rather listen to bands such as Crimson Moonlight, Antestor and Frost like Ashes. And that is mostly for their brutality and honesty, yes, I think these bands are very honest about the way they think and what they feel and are not trying to be BM depressed and so, but are clearly happy when they are happy.
20.05.2008 - 13:34
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 20.05.2008 at 11:15

I started long ago with slechtvalk, but that sucks almost to much to name it. Now I'd rather listen to bands such as Crimson Moonlight, Antestor and Frost like Ashes. And that is mostly for their brutality and honesty, yes, I think these bands are very honest about the way they think and what they feel and are not trying to be BM depressed and so, but are clearly happy when they are happy.

Good bands bands what are famos ebut always eb in bshadow of overated Norvegian bands,
----

apos;'
[image]
20.05.2008 - 21:22
metalhead3
i hate black metal,that is shit
20.05.2008 - 21:50
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by metalhead3 on 20.05.2008 at 21:22

why you hate it?
----

apos;'
[image]
20.05.2008 - 21:59
metalhead3
i simple hate it,that sound iritate me
20.05.2008 - 22:06
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by metalhead3 on 20.05.2008 at 21:59

when you eb in age 17 you strat love it
----

apos;'
[image]
24.05.2008 - 16:42
Metalhead2
Skinhead1

ROFL i cant stop laugh xD
24.05.2008 - 19:32
TheBigRossowski
Written by Metalhead2 on 24.05.2008 at 16:42

ROFL i cant stop laugh xD

Is there something here between this Metalhead2 and 3 (both from Croatia)?

It takes a lot to listen to black metal, especially that "pure" sound possessed by such bands as Katharsis. Sometimes you just have the mind for it though.

Everything in black metal is enjoyable for me, lyrically, musically, the atmosphere. It just is unique! The voice is my favorite in metal as well (besides Akerfeldt's death metal voice). There seems to be more thought going into black metal and it's on a level I can relate to.
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?