Metal Storm logo
Burzum

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 17.05.2006 - 09:54
This band needs no introduction.

To start things off, what do people think of Vargs' writings about paganism that are posted on his website ((www.burzum.org)?
22.05.2006 - 14:33
Sinsanity
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 22.05.2006 at 07:54

vakshay, yo said that you have search for ages for bands similar to burzum, well why don´t you try WIGRID or STERBEND... i you want to know more about them why don´t you enter www.no-colours-records.de, you will find some interesting notes about them!! i think that wigrid only have two cd´s and sterbend only one...

Wigrid is just too similar to Burzum...but it doesn't have the same force.

On the other hand, I think you people are anticipating too much what will Varg do when he gets out of jail. I guess he could consider himself lucky if he doesn't get killed. And if he's smart enough, he will go spend some time with his daughter in some quiet place, before putting out a new release. And somehow, we all know that if he'll release some Black Metal again, it will be the end of Burzum...All these years have left a lot of traces...
22.05.2006 - 21:20
Daru Jericho
@Gelu: Varg would never do a live show! He didn't even want to be known as being in Burzum when the band first started up.
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

22.05.2006 - 21:58
Humanoid
Account deleted
weird ... i have an old tape titled "Burzum - Unreleased Demos" [1994,Misanthropy via Amazon Music] having
01.Rite of Cleansure
02.Depressive visions of the Cursed Warrior
03.Carnage Undivine (LIVE) <===!? song lasts 3:25min ...so i guess he did live shows
22.05.2006 - 22:04
Daru Jericho
Well, I know he appeared live with other bands for a bit but 'Carnage Undivine' is not a Burzum track. At least not to my knowledge.

EDIT: "Burzum Unreleased Demos - (1994) (The last track (Carnage Undivine Live) is not made or played by Burzum (a "fake" track).)"

Souce: http://bibleproupdate1.com/Definitions/Burzum
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

22.05.2006 - 22:54
Damnated
Churchburner
So I knew it right then. I was amazed back a few years ago, that a major figure of norvegian BM never played live, still he managed to be one of the most well known bands of the genre. I liked him a while ago, didn't listen to him since then, cuz I really don't want to ruin my image of Burzum
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
23.05.2006 - 00:57
Mother-Anorexia
Account deleted
"he he he !
A friend got Hvis Lyset for 18 dollars."

Can i steal it?

"I really don't want to ruin my image of Burzum "

What is this image of Burzum that you dont want to ruin?
23.05.2006 - 05:51
DEEP SILENCE
Account deleted
sinsanity i agree with you wigrid is quite like burzum!! burzum will never be reached!!!
23.05.2006 - 19:45
ASiema113
I'm thinking of buying a Burzum cd so far i've heard a track on BMRadio and was wondering if anyone had a suggestion.

----

Written by Guest on 18.01.2008 at 09:05

People are always at their very best when they're dead.
24.05.2006 - 00:57
Mother-Anorexia
Account deleted
Id delete 2 of those posts if i were you.....
As for a recommendation, try any of his black metal releases:
Filosofem
Det Som Engang Var
Hvis Lyset Tar Oss
Burzum-Aske
24.05.2006 - 11:28
Gelu
Account deleted
better, try all the releases, black metal or non-black metal....
24.05.2006 - 12:25
Mother-Anorexia
Account deleted
Well, seeing his favourite bands seem to be "true norwegian black metal" i presumed he was after that. Then again, how can a TNBM'er not have heard Burzum?
24.05.2006 - 15:35
kackbratze
Now that I kinda got into black metal I am interested in Burzum. The early albums are really cool, lots of emotion in the music!
24.05.2006 - 20:23
ASiema113
@Mother-Anorexia: Yea about the posts damn school comps are slow as hell since that's overwith, I know the whole Varg story just that I haven't heard that much stuff seeing how iv'e gotten into BM pretty deeply over the past couple of months so haven't gotten i chance to get some cds as well as the factor that im broke and have no steady paying job. But thanks for the recommendations ill be out listening to some TNBM and TPDM.
----

Written by Guest on 18.01.2008 at 09:05

People are always at their very best when they're dead.
24.05.2006 - 23:32
Tron
I was positively surprised when I first bought 'Hvis Lyset Tar Oss'...one o' my friends said Burzum is extreme black and I expected the music to be just blast-beats and sick screaming with depressive synths all over. But no! Burzum struck my interest because of the diffrenet approach to "blackiness"....I can't explain it properly, but I'm sure you know! And I'd really like to find Varg's original albums as well...
----
After each game, the king and the jester go in the same box.
25.05.2006 - 00:46
Humanoid
Account deleted
>>Daru Jericho : well...i'm not surprised....i suppose burzum is a money-making machine for the media-gurus
25.05.2006 - 01:06
Ba'al Peor
Account deleted
"I was positively surprised when I first bought 'Hvis Lyset Tar Oss'...one o' my friends said Burzum is extreme black and I expected the music to be just blast-beats and sick screaming with depressive synths all over. But no! Burzum struck my interest because of the diffrenet approach to "blackiness"....I can't explain it properly, but I'm sure you know! And I'd really like to find Varg's original albums as well... "

Possibly the atmosphere of it made it different?
25.05.2006 - 07:45
Southern Wind
Account deleted
I certainly understand you... Burzum added a new dimenssion, that based in deep instead of just strong music. Varg created something totally unique at the time.
25.05.2006 - 11:40
Ba'al Peor
Account deleted
Filosofem vs Det Som Engang Var??
Whats everyone's opinions about these 2 albums in comparison to each other?
25.05.2006 - 14:50
Gelu
Account deleted
Det som engang var:

Pure memories of heathen soul, fantasy and time swalows eachather from beggining till the end hope in rebirth of magical paganism

Filosofem

From dark sckeptic to nihilistic Phylosophy about the possibility of truly living "det som engang var" ( u know the translation),wondering through the forests deprived of their hope in rebirth of magical paganism.

That's the short version...:-)
25.05.2006 - 15:25
Ba'al Peor
Account deleted
Ok.... that was good.... now which do you prefer?
26.05.2006 - 14:13
Gelu
Account deleted
it's hard to tell...I do not prefere some Burzum albums over other Burzum albums, but over other bands' albums. I cant really say which is better from these 2. They are both part of Burzum...it's like u want me to say what hand I would chop off, my left or my right, I need them both!:-)
26.05.2006 - 16:00
Ba'al Peor
Account deleted
Not an example i would have used.... but point was made Im leaning towards Filsofem, mainly because it was the first Burzum album i heard and also the one which confidentally blends ambient aspects into the music very well.
28.05.2006 - 03:44
Surtur
Burzum albums are outstanding, but sincerely I prefer "Burzum" espeacially the songs "War" & "My journey to the stars"
----
" And every angel needs a tear to laugh "
28.05.2006 - 08:02
Hembrom
Diabolic Priest
Written by Guest on 25.05.2006 at 14:50

Det som engang var:

Pure memories of heathen soul, fantasy and time swalows eachather from beggining till the end hope in rebirth of magical paganism

Filosofem

From dark sckeptic to nihilistic Phylosophy about the possibility of truly living "det som engang var" ( u know the translation),wondering through the forests deprived of their hope in rebirth of magical paganism.

My top two Burzum's album
28.05.2006 - 08:02
Danielazo
Account deleted
mmm now that everyone's talking about Filosofem... I do think it's a very good album, it would probably the best by Burzum if not by the worthless instrumental, first advise of the pseudo-electronic instrumental shit that would came later.
28.05.2006 - 11:03
Ba'al Peor
Account deleted
The album would be perfect if it wasnt for Rundgang Um Die Transzendentale Säule Der Singularität. I usually skip that song when listening to the album, it bores me greatly.
28.05.2006 - 14:05
Basso
Account deleted
I would say Filosofem or Burzum (but damn I cant stand the song War ... worst song of all time)
28.05.2006 - 20:31
AncientOrigins
I seem to be one of the few people who enjoys "Hlidskjalf" quite a lot. I've been getting into some ambient/folk stuff lately and Varg did a great job while being in a prison cell.
----
http://myspace.com/shoresofsheol - My Black Metal band
29.05.2006 - 15:51
Gelu
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 26.05.2006 at 16:00

Not an example i would have used.... but point was made Im leaning towards Filsofem, mainly because it was the first Burzum album i heard and also the one which confidentally blends ambient aspects into the music very well.

It's a great album.

( the woman on the cover plays an instrument VERY similar with romanian "bucium". did u know that?
I have no idea why Varg choose that picture, but
I think is a work of an norwegian painter in the late XIX th century, a romantic artist. Do you remember some statements on that? 'cause i don't)
29.05.2006 - 19:16
Zombie, M.D.
Burzum is my absolute favorite band of all time. I remember when I first heard Burzum I thought black metal HAD to be endless blasting and the like....I thought all black metal sounded like Mayhem or Marduk and ended there. The album "Det Som en Gang Var" took be by surprise, this wasnt black metal how I knew it up to that point. It was midpaced and very emotional, dark without being "evil", with some of the most pained vocals I have heard. His other works are nothing short of amazing, but I dont think any of them hold a candle to DSEGV.
----
"I really screwed up this time." - Jeffery Dahmer