Metal Storm logo
Burzum

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 17.05.2006 - 09:54
This band needs no introduction.

To start things off, what do people think of Vargs' writings about paganism that are posted on his website ((www.burzum.org)?
19.06.2006 - 07:48
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Yes. I tend to enjoy Burzum from time to time. Whether it be his hypnotic Black Metal or very emotive synth work, I fully enjoy every piece. Like Zombie, I also hold 'Det Som Engang Var' to be Burzum's best. You know, I used to be kind of stuck up about purchasing merchandise from a band who's member killed someone, or had the views he has, but you know what? You only live once, and I enjoy his work, I love it. The man and band are totally seperate, Vikernes has said it, and anyone who can't find the mindset to split the two probably shouldn't be listening to Music at all. Just my opinion, if I ever came across anything in a store, I would pick it up in a heartbeat.
----
The force will be with you, always.
19.06.2006 - 14:26
marinBG
Varg is a freak to me... and I don't think I get his music... and my girlfriend is a freak for linking him and he is a freak for killing Euronimus...

His ideology seems a bit funny to me...

P.S.: @hardcore Borzum fans: i hope you're not offended or anything, but you gadda admit the guy is not healty in the head may be that's why you like him
----
...cause I don't give a fuck if you hate me!
19.06.2006 - 14:39
Ba'al Peor
Account deleted
Ok...... please seperate an individual from his music for a moment and you will realise WHY most people like his music - it is good, whether it is to your tastes or not. I wouldnt care is Varg was a dyslexic vegetable, i still enjoy his music regardless of his motives, ethics or beliefs.
20.06.2006 - 03:02
Daru Jericho
Written by marinBG on 19.06.2006 at 14:26

Varg is a freak to me... and I don't think I get his music... and my girlfriend is a freak for linking him and he is a freak for killing Euronimus...

His ideology seems a bit funny to me...

P.S.: @hardcore Borzum fans: i hope you're not offended or anything, but you gadda admit the guy is not healty in the head may be that's why you like him

I consider Burzum to be one of my favourite bands but I can disassociate artists and their music. I think Burzum's music is great but I strongly dislike Varg. I think he has some interesting points but some highly outrageous ones as well. Still, he can think what he likes ~ as long as it does not alter the music that is all that matters.
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

20.06.2006 - 04:05
marinBG
Well, when the music is good for you, it is good for you and that's it... you guys are right... and I hope you understand the freak thing was mainly a joke
The thing with me is that I don't really like his music either, but that's me and is completly irrelevant to other people liking it, right?
----
...cause I don't give a fuck if you hate me!
20.06.2006 - 09:39
Ba'al Peor
Account deleted
Completely irrelevant.
20.06.2006 - 11:03
Nima
Account deleted
I love the music of Burzum. Athmospheric, dark, moody... it drives my mind into a certain state. I love both his BM works and his Ambient works.

But as said earlier it is important to separate the man and the band as very few if none of the lyrics reflects his nowadays philosophy.

Regarding his philosophy, I find alot of his points to be rather interesting, such as his views on paganism and individualism, however I don't care strongly for his extremistic sides or his racism/discrimination.
20.06.2006 - 23:14
Trifixion
Account deleted
Eh probably a stupid question but, when did Burzum change to ambient (what was the last BM album?) since I've only heard the first few albums.
20.06.2006 - 23:31
Nima
Account deleted
burzums last metal album was Filosofem. Dauði Baldrs and Hliðskjálf are the ambient albums. the rest is metal.
20.06.2006 - 23:38
John Barleycorn
Minimalist
Well, IMO his ambient stuff sucks but his earlier black metal works are rather interesting. Cannot ignore their influence. But if you want ambient, listen to Brian Eno (or Karl Sanders )
21.06.2006 - 02:11
Daru Jericho
Written by Guest on 20.06.2006 at 23:31

burzums last metal album was Filosofem. Dauði Baldrs and Hliðskjálf are the ambient albums. the rest is metal.

Not forgetting of course that there were a few dark ambient tracks on some of the black metal albums.
----

21.06.2006 - 07:04
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Daru Jericho on 21.06.2006 at 02:11

Written by Guest on 20.06.2006 at 23:31

Not forgetting of course that there were a few dark ambient tracks on some of the black metal albums.

Yes of course. His best ambient works were the ones contained in his Black Metal albums. For example "Channelling The Power Of Souls Into A New God"; "The Crying Orc"; "Den Onde Kysten"; and "Tomhet" to just name a few. I did enjoy 'Hliðskjálf' though, can't remember much from 'Dauði Baldrs' though.
----
The force will be with you, always.
21.06.2006 - 09:07
Ba'al Peor
Account deleted
"Well, IMO his ambient stuff sucks but his earlier black metal works are rather interesting. Cannot ignore their influence. But if you want ambient, listen to Brian Eno (or Karl Sanders )"

Yes, Karl Sanders' solo album is awesome, although somewhat different from Burzum's ambient albums.
21.06.2006 - 23:44
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Clintagräm on 19.06.2006 at 07:48

The man and band are totally seperate, Vikernes has said it, and anyone who can't find the mindset to split the two probably shouldn't be listening to Music at all.

I had the same problem too, mainly because at that time Mayhem was one of my fav. bands. But then I realized that it is the music that counts, and I never gave a fuck about Christian, Communist, Nazi or whatever lyrics either, so I got over it. And I hav never felt a single regret for that.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
22.06.2006 - 00:59
Ba'al Peor
Account deleted
"I had the same problem too, mainly because at that time Mayhem was one of my fav. bands. But then I realized that it is the music that counts, and I never gave a fuck about Christian, Communist, Nazi or whatever lyrics either, so I got over it. And I hav never felt a single regret for that. "

22.06.2006 - 08:45
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
One of the most influencial BM bands ever ... and i havnt checked out anything of theres (only a couple of tracks that have been on the radio)... yes i know i deserve a beating but im honest, also i had only heard that Varg killed Euronimus and only desided to read up on that last night from www.burzum.org ... so yes more more beatings this way!

Though im going to get onto checking them out right away.
----

Hellcunt Smurf
22.06.2006 - 15:58
Angel Deformity
Azathoth
Was listenin to burzum today actually... god i love the filsofem album so much. Big influence for me to start a BM band, gona cover war on our demo.
22.06.2006 - 23:35
mAD_lINe
Account deleted
I don'know how you feel, but let's think for a moment. Christinity with it's priests and their stupid and meaningless crusades were just as "freaky" as the paganity in our modern times. What's wrong with that? Varg killed Euronymus, because Euronymus was a coward. And in fact it was self-defence. Do you even know the story why Varg killed him? Alright I tell those who don't know yet.

One day in '93 (I think), Euronymus met Varg, he greeted Varg with a kick in his stomach .The day before, Euronymus started to learn martial arts, so thought he's a god already and can beat anyone ( he was a "freak" too it seems). Euronymus thought this will be devestating enough, but he was wrong:lol:. Varg startled for a moment, then they started to fight, but Euron ran to the kitchen to get a knife. Even with a knife Euronymus was weeker so he ran away. Obviously Varg thought him a coward, and didn't deserve to let him live. So Varg pulled out his own knife (always carried one with himself:devil:) and ran after Eouronymus. Varg Executed him with more, than forty (I think) stabs. Varg still rotts in the jail for a deed he would be awarded for if he would be Viking. That's what religion makes with people. But I can't blame him for what he has done. Anyways, if Varg don't kill euronymus, than he would be dead now. Most of you thought he's a simple murderer. Then I say Bush is a serial killer.

just a note: Varg is still in good relation with Mayhem. And despite of his unique vision of the world, he is much more well read and cultivated, then most of us here. And that's what I can respect(what else could he do in the jail for 13 years now? only reading)
23.06.2006 - 01:03
Ba'al Peor
Account deleted
"One day in '93 (I think), Euronymus met Varg, he greeted Varg with a kick in his stomach .The day before, Euronymus started to learn martial arts, so thought he's a god already and can beat anyone ( he was a "freak" too it seems). Euronymus thought this will be devestating enough, but he was wrong:lol:. Varg startled for a moment, then they started to fight, but Euron ran to the kitchen to get a knife. Even with a knife Euronymus was weeker so he ran away. Obviously Varg thought him a coward, and didn't deserve to let him live. So Varg pulled out his own knife (always carried one with himself:devil:) and ran after Eouronymus. Varg Executed him with more, than forty (I think) stabs. Varg still rotts in the jail for a deed he would be awarded for if he would be Viking. That's what religion makes with people. But I can't blame him for what he has done. Anyways, if Varg don't kill euronymus, than he would be dead now. Most of you thought he's a simple murderer. Then I say Bush is a serial killer."

We dont need crap like this. Most of us know the story and this isnt it.
24.06.2006 - 01:49
Sinsanity
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 22.06.2006 at 23:35

I don'know how you feel, but let's think for a moment. Christinity with it's priests and their stupid and meaningless crusades were just as "freaky" as the paganity in our modern times. What's wrong with that? Varg killed Euronymus, because Euronymus was a coward. And in fact it was self-defence. Do you even know the story why Varg killed him? Alright I tell those who don't know yet.

One day in '93 (I think), Euronymus met Varg, he greeted Varg with a kick in his stomach .The day before, Euronymus started to learn martial arts, so thought he's a god already and can beat anyone ( he was a "freak" too it seems). Euronymus thought this will be devestating enough, but he was wrong:lol:. Varg startled for a moment, then they started to fight, but Euron ran to the kitchen to get a knife. Even with a knife Euronymus was weeker so he ran away. Obviously Varg thought him a coward, and didn't deserve to let him live. So Varg pulled out his own knife (always carried one with himself:devil:) and ran after Eouronymus. Varg Executed him with more, than forty (I think) stabs. Varg still rotts in the jail for a deed he would be awarded for if he would be Viking. That's what religion makes with people. But I can't blame him for what he has done. Anyways, if Varg don't kill euronymus, than he would be dead now. Most of you thought he's a simple murderer. Then I say Bush is a serial killer.

just a note: Varg is still in good relation with Mayhem. And despite of his unique vision of the world, he is much more well read and cultivated, then most of us here. And that's what I can respect(what else could he do in the jail for 13 years now? only reading)

This whole story has been told so many times, that everyone's sick of hearing it again, especially in the terms you put it.

Varg is indeed cultivated, but that doesn't stop him being a strange fanatic, and contradicting himself more than a few times. It would be more extraordinary, if he could do a lot of things in prison, and still be only reading. But if that's all he can do...it's not like it's a personal choice, is it ?

However, that wouldn't stop him getting killed when he gets out of jail. Knowing so well the story, you should know what were the consequences...
24.06.2006 - 02:44
mAD_lINe
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 24.06.2006 at 01:49

Written by Guest on 22.06.2006 at 23:35

This whole story has been told so many times, that everyone's sick of hearing it again, especially in the terms you put it.

Varg is indeed cultivated, but that doesn't stop him being a strange fanatic, and contradicting himself more than a few times. It would be more extraordinary, if he could do a lot of things in prison, and still be only reading. But if that's all he can do...it's not like it's a personal choice, is it ?

However, that wouldn't stop him getting killed when he gets out of jail. Knowing so well the story, you should know what were the consequences...

Ok ok, köszi. Kösz h mindenki ilyen kurva kedves itt bassza meg.És bocsi h nem vagyok tökéletes és irkálok hülyeségeket. Mit gondolsz én honnan tudhatnám h mindenki kivülröl fújja a történetet he? Amúgy meg úgy gondoltam h erre a forumra olyanok is tévedhetnek akik még nem hallották és így ök is megismerhetik ezt a nagy sztorit. Másrészt meg biztos kurva jó lehordani mást csak mert, még nem ért el arra a szintre ahol ti tartotok, nincs igazam? Próbálom bontogatni a szárnyaim, gondolom te sem úgy születtél h egyböl felismerted a metal rejtélyeit. Na mindegy csak próbálhatnál egy kicsit elnézöbb lenni a fiatalabbakkal. Amúgy meg szarok bele. És szerintem ha már itt tartunk, akinek ekkora tudása van, mint Varg annak igazán több joga van élni ebben a férges világban, jobban, mint például a gyáva senkiházi Euronymusnak. Ez az most már elmondhatom mekkora arc vagyok miután myagyarul írtam ide. Úgyis meg fogom bánni
Sorry For this little converstion guys, but I posted this message especially to Ms. Sinsanity. Sorry again
24.06.2006 - 12:50
Ba'al Peor
Account deleted
Please stick to english. If you need to send a personal message - send it through a PM.
24.06.2006 - 15:45
Sinsanity
Account deleted
He's upset, but hopefully, we'll work that out.
01.07.2006 - 16:51
Vakshay
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 22.05.2006 at 07:54

vakshay, yo said that you have search for ages for bands similar to burzum, well why don´t you try WIGRID or STERBEND... i you want to know more about them why don´t you enter www.no-colours-records.de, you will find some interesting notes about them!! i think that wigrid only have two cd´s and sterbend only one...

Ah Sterbend is a new one. I shall look into them, thanks. I have been searching for Wigrids-Hoffnungstod for a reasonable price, Im keen to hear it.
01.07.2006 - 21:29
Empty Spaces
Unburied At Dusk
Well... to be completely honest, I haven't heard all that much from Burzum. I've heard the songs "Dunkelheit", "Lost Wisdom", "War", and a few others. I really like what I've heard. Can anyone recomend anything? I'm too lazy to read previous posts...
01.07.2006 - 21:52
Trifixion
Account deleted
Written by Empty Spaces on 01.07.2006 at 21:29

Well... to be completely honest, I haven't heard all that much from Burzum. I've heard the songs "Dunkelheit", "Lost Wisdom", "War", and a few others. I really like what I've heard. Can anyone recomend anything? I'm too lazy to read previous posts...

You can probably go with just about anything and like it but I think his best work (from what I've heard) is Det Som Engang Var and I think alot of people would agree, you should check it out. His self-titled as well hah as I said just about anything.
02.07.2006 - 03:57
Daru Jericho
Written by Empty Spaces on 01.07.2006 at 21:29

Check out the Det Som Engang Var album.
----

02.07.2006 - 23:00
Empty Spaces
Unburied At Dusk
Alright, I´ll be sure to get that one. My brother probably has it cause he´s a big Burzum fan...
04.07.2006 - 22:03
ItalktotheWind
Wood Troll
I absolutely love Burzum. My favorite albums being Filosofem and Hvis Lyset Tar Os. Burzum is really a project for some, not all. I think it would ruin the meaning of burzum if everyone liked it. The atmosphere that he creates is very compelling, and hypnotic. All of his albums have one level or another that is good, the only album that gets a little tiring is Daudi Baldrs, which is still not that bad. Burzum is just pure emotion on tape, and Vargs vocals are insane.
----
"A witty saying proves nothing."
-Voltaire
12.07.2006 - 11:40
dark awakening
Burzum is an icon, not simply a musician. Though i don't like his music I think that his lyrics are poems.
----
Baptized in a lake of acid tears...