Metal Storm logo
Burzum

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 17.05.2006 - 09:54
This band needs no introduction.

To start things off, what do people think of Vargs' writings about paganism that are posted on his website ((www.burzum.org)?
12.07.2006 - 12:48
Basso
Account deleted
His lyrics are very well written. Listen to Filosofem and read the booklet.. now that is amazing \m/
13.07.2006 - 11:54
VaronoZz
Vampbaron
The man is fuckin great... But i hate the fact he supported the ideology of Neonazism...
----
give praise for the blood it bled,
grant a rose for the dead...
15.07.2006 - 12:04
Throne of Rats
Written by VaronoZz on 13.07.2006 at 11:54

The man is fuckin great... But i hate the fact he supported the ideology of Neonazism...

agreed
----
Burning Crosses, Invoke the Powers, Rape the Crown, Hell Awaits!!
15.07.2006 - 20:13
Southern Wind
Account deleted
I don't really know where the fuck the find neo-nazi ideas on Burzum... we can agree the man is an asshole and he could had made some stupid comments here and there, but in his lyrics there's not a gleam of ns ideology.
15.07.2006 - 21:30
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Guest on 15.07.2006 at 20:13

I don't really know where the fuck the find neo-nazi ideas on Burzum... we can agree the man is an asshole and he could had made some stupid comments here and there, but in his lyrics there's not a gleam of ns ideology.

Same here, Varg himself is a racist, amongst others, but there is nothing about that in the music. This is why I really like Burzum, it's not just way of spredding his view, but it's netirely a MUSICAL project.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
16.07.2006 - 12:15
Throne of Rats
Written by Damnated on 15.07.2006 at 21:30

Same here, Varg himself is a racist, amongst others, but there is nothing about that in the music. This is why I really like Burzum, it's not just way of spredding his view, but it's netirely a MUSICAL project.

Varg did only support Neo-Nazism for a short while, it is know of him to change his religions/belifes quite often before setteling on paganisim. Now he says that anyone that calls him a Nazi he just simply laughs because it is not true.

But tell you what is funny: In October 2003, Vikernes failed to return to his low-security prison in Tønsberg, Norway, after having been granted a short leave. Vikernes was apprehended by police after hijacking a car. He was found with an unloaded AG-3 assault rifle, 700 rounds of ammunition, a number of smaller weapons, a handheld GPS system, communications systems, a PC, military uniforms, a bullet proof vest, and camouflage clothes

Looks like someone was going bush..

----
16.07.2006 - 12:59
Ba'al Peor
Account deleted
Pfft, old news.
16.07.2006 - 13:21
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
seeing as a lot of people dislike burzum because of his political views (which totally affect the music), answer this:

if you're going to get upset about varg having right wing views, do your own political views affect all of your choices of music? would you avoid listening to crust punk on the basis that it was all extremely left-wing? vargs political views don't even come up in his music so if you're going to avoid listening to burzum because of vargs views, shouldn't you theoretically avoid listening to any music incase the creator has political views that you disagree with?

and don't respond with the typical "racism" answer. when has varg ever advocated violence towards other races?

you're not taking the moral high ground by choosing not to listen to burzum over something thats completly irrelevent to his music.
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
16.07.2006 - 13:28
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Throne of Rats on 16.07.2006 at 12:15

Varg did only support Neo-Nazism for a short while, it is know of him to change his religions/belifes quite often before setteling on paganisim. Now he says that anyone that calls him a Nazi he just simply laughs because it is not true.

But who cares about his beliefs? He could be a fanatic budhist, I still woudn't give a damn, as long as I like what he makes, and so far I love what Burzum put out. Maybe he will make hymns about the dalay lama, but as long as it's good, I'm still a fan.
----

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
16.07.2006 - 17:51
Basso
Account deleted
^ AMEN!! (In other words I totally agree)
16.07.2006 - 19:10
Grindcore
The problem is that many peaple are saying that his music is so popular among youngsters because his bloody past, that young men are looking for something sensational.I disagree with them but a lot of people find the band overatted.
16.07.2006 - 19:40
Basso
Account deleted
Thoose that find Burzum overrated dont know what to look for in the music. As simple as that
16.07.2006 - 22:15
Damnated
Churchburner
I agree, that the majority of the great norvegian bands are very famous, and ppl tend to listen to them cuz of this, and they don't know, how good they are. Take Burzum, for instance: 50% of his 'fans' like him for his music, cuz he put out ground breaking albums. The other half heard of Burzum (it even sounds so evil) and they 'like' them, and I doubt that they ever listened a record. But ppl are different, and there will be allways posers, and ppl who just want to fit in.
----

17.07.2006 - 08:38
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Yeah since liking Burzum is the "in-thing" these days among kids. I find it very comical how everyone preaches about posers and trying to "fit in" by liking Burzum and Black Metal. I could probably ask all 1000 kids at my school if they have ever even heard of Burzum, and probably five would say yes, let alone have any of them heard them. Maybe it's just me, but there is no "circle" whatsoever around here where it's cool to like Burzum, let alone Black Metal. I think the only place where this exists is on message boards like this. Just my few cents.
----
The force will be with you, always.
17.07.2006 - 12:38
Throne of Rats
Written by Damnated on 16.07.2006 at 13:28

Written by Throne of Rats on 16.07.2006 at 12:15

But who cares about his beliefs? He could be a fanatic budhist, I still woudn't give a damn, as long as I like what he makes, and so far I love what Burzum put out. Maybe he will make hymns about the dalay lama, but as long as it's good, I'm still a fan.

Yes I also agree, I was jus pointing the correct information about him. I also agree with you, lots of people have heard his music but the other people that have heard of him think hes pure evil. I must admit that when I first heard of him I thought he was crazy then I got into his music and love it.
----
17.07.2006 - 14:43
Ba'al Peor
Account deleted
ALWAYS seperate musician and band, its as simple as that.
17.07.2006 - 14:47
King Antichrist
Account deleted
I have nothing but respect for this man and his views, but I can't listen to his music. I find it abrasive on the ears. Sure it may have been good for it's time and all that jazz, but I just can't stand the guitar tone, the drums, the vocals, the monotony of the songs etc. Good man, the music is not for me though.
17.07.2006 - 15:37
Daru Jericho
Hm...maybe a separate thread should be opened up for Varg Virkenes rather than Burzum because this whole music vs artist discussion is plugging this thread up.
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

17.07.2006 - 16:11
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Guest on 17.07.2006 at 14:47

I have nothing but respect for this man and his views, but I can't listen to his music. I find it abrasive on the ears. Sure it may have been good for it's time and all that jazz, but I just can't stand the guitar tone, the drums, the vocals, the monotony of the songs etc. Good man, the music is not for me though.

Wow, are you for real? I mean Burzum is one of the most best bands when it comes to repetivity and his monotous riffs are one of the best.
----

17.07.2006 - 16:23
King Antichrist
Account deleted
But it's boring. Anything as monotonous or tedious as the music produced by Burzum is boring. It's hard to listen to, and music should never be like that.
Fair enough he was a smart man, and I respect him, but the music is just awful.
Don't give me the shit about "OMG U DON'T UNDERSTAND IT" or "YOU JUST CAN'T APPRECIATE IT" either, because I've played through Filosofem and Aske, and both are just exercises in monotony.
It's boring music to begin with, and it's hard to listen to due to poor production quallity, an awful guitar tone, and a terrible vocalist.
But don't get me wrong, Varg is a legend.
17.07.2006 - 16:37
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Guest on 17.07.2006 at 16:23

But it's boring. Anything as monotonous or tedious as the music produced by Burzum is boring. It's hard to listen to, and music should never be like that.
Fair enough he was a smart man, and I respect him, but the music is just awful.
Don't give me the shit about "OMG U DON'T UNDERSTAND IT" or "YOU JUST CAN'T APPRECIATE IT" either, because I've played through Filosofem and Aske, and both are just exercises in monotony.
It's boring music to begin with, and it's hard to listen to due to poor production quallity, an awful guitar tone, and a terrible vocalist.
But don't get me wrong, Varg is a legend.

When I ment that Burzum is monoton, I was saying: BM in general has a ton of monoton elements, it's a mark of the genre. And the production of Burzum albums is very good, looking at other bands from the same genre.

I don't blame you for not liking Burzum, but still, his vocals aren't awful at all, but full of emotions. A few vocalists have such an emotive vocals, like Meyhna'ch
----

17.07.2006 - 16:51
King Antichrist
Account deleted
I suppose there are worse vocalists.
I wouldn't call black metal a generally monotonous genre.
There are boring bands in every genre. Bandslike Dimmu Borgir, Dark Funeral, Emperor, Carpathian Forest, Mayhem or Satyricon aren't monotonous at all. They display progression with each album they release, exploring new ways to create pure black fucking metal (as Blasphemer of Mayhem coins it).
17.07.2006 - 17:04
Basso
Account deleted
I have a very hard time thinking of Dark Funeral as displaying "progression" since they are one of the most boring bands to be labeled black metal ever. Lame ass vocals , repetive riffs and repetive drums. haha my describsion of DF almost sounded your view on Burzum. (Must say that Attera Totus Sanctus was quite good live though).
17.07.2006 - 17:06
Ruines
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 17.07.2006 at 16:51

There are boring bands in every genre. Bandslike Dimmu Borgir, Dark Funeral, Emperor, Carpathian Forest, Mayhem or Satyricon aren't monotonous at all. They display progression with each album they release, exploring new ways to create pure black fucking metal (as Blasphemer of Mayhem coins it).

Those bands you named do not represent really well the essence of what bm is about. Except for early mayhem and Satyricon maybe.
17.07.2006 - 17:18
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Guest on 17.07.2006 at 16:51

Dude, go listen to other BM bands, not only to these. Dark Funeral is one of the most boring bands ever, and Emperor and Dimmu Borgir use sympho elements, that's why it isn't monotous. The essence of the black metal music does not rely in bands like these. Yes, Burzum is boring if you like pop Demon Burger kind of black metal.
----

17.07.2006 - 23:31
UnholyMenace
Psycho
I have never had any problems with Vargs ideas - It doesnt stop me from listening and really enjoying Burzum as a (one-man)band. I guess Burzum is aswell one of those band people like or not - some think it is boring and monotous, some think it is one of the best bm bands ever. Im sure ill fit to the last category. I think that Burzum has really influenced black metal today. There are loads of great black metal bands that say that they have been mostly influenced by Burzum. I like both - Burzum bm and ambient releases and I find them more interesting than DF, DB or Satyricon.
18.07.2006 - 10:16
Ba'al Peor
Account deleted
"Hm...maybe a separate thread should be opened up for Varg Virkenes rather than Burzum because this whole music vs artist discussion is plugging this thread up. "

Its still discussing Burzum is it not?

"But it's boring. Anything as monotonous or tedious as the music produced by Burzum is boring. It's hard to listen to, and music should never be like that."

Opinions are fine, but please try and refrain from saying "your" tastes in music are correct/more correct than others.

"But don't get me wrong, Varg is a legend."

What is it about him that makes you hold him in such high esteem?

"There are boring bands in every genre. Bandslike Dimmu Borgir, Dark Funeral, Emperor, Carpathian Forest, Mayhem or Satyricon aren't monotonous at all. They display progression with each album they release, exploring new ways to create pure black fucking metal (as Blasphemer of Mayhem coins it). "

I would say that only old Mayhem and old Satyricon are pure black metal there. Dimmu=meloblack, almost death/black(recent). Dark Funeral= Norsecore black metal. Emperor? In the Nightside Ecclipse definately but the symph/synth effects they experimented with strays from the norm which "pure" black metal is all about; normality and not straying from the norm. Carpathian Forest's addition of black n' roll elements would cause many people to argue their "pure"ness. New Satyricon is almost.... not black metal anymore.

"I have never had any problems with Vargs ideas - It doesnt stop me from listening and really enjoying Burzum as a (one-man)band. I guess Burzum is aswell one of those band people like or not - some think it is boring and monotous, some think it is one of the best bm bands ever. Im sure ill fit to the last category. I think that Burzum has really influenced black metal today. There are loads of great black metal bands that say that they have been mostly influenced by Burzum. I like both - Burzum bm and ambient releases and I find them more interesting than DF, DB or Satyricon. "

Now thats a reply.... not flaming others' tastes
18.07.2006 - 14:39
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Guest on 18.07.2006 at 10:16

"But don't get me wrong, Varg is a legend."

He's in prison + he burned churches + he killed Euronymous + his name was Kristian = legend
----

18.07.2006 - 15:04
Ba'al Peor
Account deleted
"He's in prison + he burned churches + he killed Euronymous + his name was Kristian = legend "

Not what i see as a legend.....
18.07.2006 - 15:39
Ruines
Account deleted

Most influential individual in the bm scene EVER. Re-read your history.

Dark Funeral= Norsecore black metal.

Norsecore ?

Cmon DF is black metal. It's just that it's some BAD and uninteresting black metal.