Metal Storm logo
Current fav song (not metal/rock)

Original post

Posted by Damnated, 14.07.2006 - 01:52
Mine is Gnarls Barkley - Crazy, Norah Jones - Don't Know Why
19.01.2007 - 07:00
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
It's currently Naught by Nature's song "Everything's Gonna Be Alright" from their self titled sophomore album. It samples "No Woman No Cry" a Bob Marley song covered by Boney M. Apart from that quickly catching my ear, it's also a great slab of Old School Hip Hop with their MC Treach laying down rhymes exceptionally well as he always does.
----
The force will be with you, always.
26.01.2007 - 05:05
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
I have three: completely non metal, and non rock either, I listen to techno sometimes as well, and I like Darkwave a lot. Many of you will probably hate me for this, but whatever.

- PaniK?, by the Darkwave/Electro Gothic band Diary Of Dreams. One of teh most prono songs I've ever heard. Not for the lyrics, but for the rythm, the voice tone... I can only think of sex when listening to that song.

- Ciao (Ciao Mix) by Empirion. These guys are known by their games music. Like, electronic, psychedelic, or something like that. I have only found one album, called B.E.T.A.

- The Other Side, by Paul Van Dyck Featuring Wayne Jackson. I like it, sorry. Has nice lyrics, and it's a pretty relaxing techno song.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
04.02.2007 - 01:00
APOHAKC
The Bard
Non metal/rock hah, well probably Covenant's ( Not Nagash and co!) Let the ships to port, realy cool song.
I also listen much non metal music at work cause of my collegs and some of them are really good, but it means nothing to you since they are Serbian autors.
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
06.02.2007 - 21:52
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Depeche Mode - Enjoy The Silence
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
07.02.2007 - 03:44
Immortal Plague
Bloodshedder
Behemoth - Hell Dwells In Ice

I know Behemoth is a metal band, but if you listen to the song its not metal at all, its all like sorta a Atmospheric type of orchistra i cant really describe it, just a very beautiful song to listen to, and its not metal, but dont by a metal band.
08.02.2007 - 05:27
TheRealThing
Account deleted
The entire Peeping Tom record, Patton really made a sick album, and I'm not even too sure how to classify it genre wise.

N.W.A, Fiona Apple and Hank Williams III come up alot lately as well.
08.02.2007 - 10:09
Eight
Shapeshifter
Written by hanna of steel on 08.01.2007 at 23:48

Help me - I have got 'Cry Me A River' by Justin Timberlake stuck in my head and it won't go away.

Listen for a long long time to it eventually you will get tired and annoyd with it. Thats the only way your situation can be helped i guess

Mano Chau - Machinegun - thats the song whats in my head currently
----
Book: "I am a Shepherd. Folks like a man of God."

Mal: "No, they don't. Men of God make everyone feel guilty and judged."
09.02.2007 - 02:04
Nyssa
Account deleted
Mmm the song that´s in my head right now is Marh of Mephisto. Gosh it takes me away!
Hey by the way I´m new around here so see ya!
09.02.2007 - 04:59
Strid
Account deleted
Right now....two songs.

"No Quiere Novio" by Ñejo (yes, reggaeton..don't stone me)
"Tracking Treasure Down" by Gabriel & Dresden (trance)

Yeah, there's a huge gap between reggaeton and trance...but whatever
14.02.2007 - 14:45
Deus Ex Machina
2 songs i can't stop listening to this week,and both are by Incubus.
"Southern Girl" and "Warning"
I can't get them out of my head and i don't even want to.
I just love the beginning of "Warning"

"Bat your eyes girl
Be otherwordly
Count your blessings
Seduce a stranger
What's so wrong with
Being happy
Kudos to those who
See through sickness"

"Southern Girl" also has the most amazing lyrics as all of Incubus songs do and the music itself is great.
14.02.2007 - 15:21
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer
Written by Guest on 09.02.2007 at 04:59

Right now....two songs.

So Reggeaton has found its way to Jamaica already? My sister brainwashed me with that song. haha It is so sad that there are many Puerto Rican musicians here that are talented and yet Puerto Rican Reggeaton artists are the ones to be letting themselves be heard to the World.

Do you like that song for the lyrics?
----
Christless
15.02.2007 - 15:59
Sunioj
Paul Oakenfold - Hypnotized
I usually hate trance but this is great.
15.02.2007 - 16:50
?Bodomchild?
Carlos Santana - Black Magic Woman (what a song)

Ska-P - La Mosca Cojonera (its a ska band from Spain, and the music and the lyrincs are so good its a song against the pope)
----
asd
22.02.2007 - 04:09
Strid
Account deleted
Written by Darth Satanious on 14.02.2007 at 15:21

Right now....two songs.

So Reggeaton has found its way to Jamaica already? My sister brainwashed me with that song. haha It is so sad that there are many Puerto Rican musicians here that are talented and yet Puerto Rican Reggeaton artists are the ones to be letting themselves be heard to the World.

heh, yeah, reggaeton's been thrown around here for years now
I like the sound of the song, really. I rarely like the lyrics of songs that aren't rock/metal/electronica....if the song doesn't fall into any of those genres, it's almost guaranteed that the only reason I like it is cuz of the sound or atmosphere it gives off.

But it's a pretty cool sound, stress-free
22.02.2007 - 06:21
Heartwork
Account deleted
Right now I'm obsessed with Bob Dylan's Señor. A great song from a great album (Street Legal).
22.02.2007 - 23:13
darksun
My choices belong to old years.First one is music played by matt monroe.And then a cult somes:Something' gotten hold of my heart by marc almond.And another cult it is sang by almost everyone:Can't take my eyes off you
----
Dark is the sunlight,we cast the life together
Dark is the sunlight or I'm blind forever..
23.02.2007 - 04:10
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer
Written by Guest on 22.02.2007 at 04:09

Written by Darth Satanious on 14.02.2007 at 15:21

Right now....two songs.

heh, yeah, reggaeton's been thrown around here for years now
I like the sound of the song, really. I rarely like the lyrics of songs that aren't rock/metal/electronica....if the song doesn't fall into any of those genres, it's almost guaranteed that the only reason I like it is cuz of the sound or atmosphere it gives off.

But it's a pretty cool sound, stress-free

I didn't know that. Now that I think about it, it kind of makes sense since Reggaeton is claimed to take influence from Reggae by taking the "dembow" rhythm out of it and mix it with rap. The lyrics can get to be really awful at times and kind of superficial. However, I think that this music indeed has its place, even when I don't get to enjoy it, at parties and when hanging out with friends (especially those who aren't into Metal/Rock/Classical/Jazz, etc.) and just having it played at the background of the occasion to stimulate the mood with the rhythm.
----
Christless
23.02.2007 - 23:04
Strid
Account deleted
Written by Darth Satanious on 23.02.2007 at 04:10

... and just having it played at the background of the occasion to stimulate the mood with the rhythm.

pretty much

(although I've gotta say, my spanish is improving enough that some reggaeton IS actually starting to annoy me...cuz then it seems like all I can hear is the lyrics )
24.02.2007 - 00:28
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer
Written by Guest on 23.02.2007 at 23:04

Written by Darth Satanious on 23.02.2007 at 04:10

... and just having it played at the background of the occasion to stimulate the mood with the rhythm.

pretty much

(although I've gotta say, my spanish is improving enough that some reggaeton IS actually starting to annoy me...cuz then it seems like all I can hear is the lyrics )

haha, that was a matter of time. I understand you completely; that is why I prefer bands and singers that sing or have their lyrics written in languages (especially in Japanese) other than Spanish and to some extent in English. It is as if the more we get a hold of a language, its words reach easier to "our bones" and they lose that charm to them. Also, the words can get to take the attention out of the music while words in other languages, other than the ones we mastered, force us to appreciate their sound rather than creating an immediate image or a related idea to each word, as we do with our languages; thus taking our attention from the sounds and literary taking our attention away from what matters: the music itself. The phrases and sentences of those languages we master tend to turn themselves in clichés over time. Well, I am drifting and drifting so I will stop elaborating here before this post never gets to find an end.

Oh, be a little careful with the words that these Reggaeton artists use in their songs since you are mastering Spanish, right? Several words that they use are invented by themselves and are not part of the Spanish language properly; perhaps they invent those words for the sake of finding a word to rhyme their songs, parting from their limited lexis. They are butchering our language.

By the way, nice Kadaj avatar you have there.
----
Christless
24.02.2007 - 23:35
Vrana
Radiohead: Street spirit : I haven't heard it for a long time, and now, after hearing it again I just have it in my head and have to play it...
25.02.2007 - 15:31
Strid
Account deleted
Written by Darth Satanious on 24.02.2007 at 00:28

haha, that was a matter of time. I understand you completely; that is why I prefer bands and singers that sing or have their lyrics written in languages (especially in Japanese) other than Spanish and to some extent in English. It is as if the more we get a hold of a language, its words reach easier to "our bones" and they lose that charm to them. Also, the words can get to take the attention out of the music while words in other languages, other than the ones we mastered, force us to appreciate their sound rather than creating an immediate image or a related idea to each word, as we do with our languages; thus taking our attention from the sounds and literary taking our attention away from what matters: the music itself. The phrases and sentences of those languages we master tend to turn themselves in clichés over time. Well, I am drifting and drifting so I will stop elaborating here before this post never gets to find an end.

Oh, be a little careful with the words that these Reggaeton artists use in their songs since you are mastering Spanish, right? Several words that they use are invented by themselves and are not part of the Spanish language properly; perhaps they invent those words for the sake of finding a word to rhyme their songs, parting from their limited lexis. They are butchering our language.

Heh yeah that's probably the reason I like so much music in other languages too, it's much easier to simply get lost in the atmosphere they create. For me, the message I get from hearing just the music combined with the mysterious lyrics is actually much deeper than the message the lryics directly translate into. You're right...it's like some deep subliminal stuff going on there!

And yeah, I need to hold off on the Reggaeton for a while, I think, cuz it seems to be affecting my accent I'm mainly studying various languages at uni now, and I don't really want the tutors to start asking me why I sound like a gangster
Funnily enough, my Japanese tutor doesn't seem to mind me sounding like a crazed anime girl

ps. Kadaj is coolness! thx
26.02.2007 - 01:18
APOHAKC
The Bard
Follow Follow - Glasgow Rangers!
Follow, follow we will follow Rangers, everywhere, anywhere we will follow Rangers!!
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
26.02.2007 - 10:58
hanna of steel
Poison Girl
Written by APOHAKC on 26.02.2007 at 01:18

Follow Follow - Glasgow Rangers!
Follow, follow we will follow Rangers, everywhere, anywhere we will follow Rangers!!

NO - please don't remind me of this song !

I will have to find 'Blue is the Colour' - the Chelsea team song.
----
Hell is other people - Jean-Paul Sartre
26.02.2007 - 19:14
Danny Thomas
God Module- the Source
Amducia- Beyond the Darkness
Imperative Reaction- Only in My Mind
Wumpscut- Jesus Antichristus

i'm a really big fan of harsh EBM/industrial music and if i need a break from metal(which is very rare) i usually turn to this stuff because its still really angry and dark, loud, and msot of all gets you pumped : P
----
Our children are dead. Burnt in the ruins that were left by war.
28.02.2007 - 03:23
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer
Written by Guest on 25.02.2007 at 15:31

Written by Darth Satanious on 24.02.2007 at 00:28

Heh yeah that's probably the reason I like so much music in other languages too, it's much easier to simply get lost in the atmosphere they create. For me, the message I get from hearing just the music combined with the mysterious lyrics is actually much deeper than the message the lryics directly translate into. You're right...it's like some deep subliminal stuff going on there!

And yeah, I need to hold off on the Reggaeton for a while, I think, cuz it seems to be affecting my accent I'm mainly studying various languages at uni now, and I don't really want the tutors to start asking me why I sound like a gangster
Funnily enough, my Japanese tutor doesn't seem to mind me sounding like a crazed anime girl

ps. Kadaj is coolness! thx

Definitely. A professor of mine once said to me that language restraints us because there are some concepts, ideas, and feelings that we are unable to express (being this because of the already established words in our languages or for lack of knowledge of those words that can represent or express them) and I see truth in his words. I even go as far as to avoid reading the translations to the songs from the artists and bands that sing in other languages in order to avoid knowing what they say and maybe getting disappointed about it.

I completely agree with you there in feeling that music in this way can get to us deeper. I have an idea of why this could be. Perhaps, by ignoring the words of those songs we keep ourselves from getting a hold to what the composers want to express, what they really want to say in their songs. In some way, we may be taking those songs and making them ours by filtering them through ourselves with what we know, what we perceived which comes to be led by our experiences. It is not the same to read what someone has to say and to construct something by ourselves parting from some tools that have been given to us. I guess that this can be one of the reasons of why people enjoy polyvalent meanings in lyrics and in literature. It is kind of egoist to an extent if we come to think about it.

Hahaha, yes, if you are to have a role model regarding pronunciation, Reggaetón artists should be the last ones to look up to. Hey, be careful, if you are studying languages a time will come when there will not be any language left that you don't know and you won't enjoy music that much anymore.

P.S. Final Fantasy is THE coolness.
----
Christless
04.03.2007 - 18:26
Graveheart
Any of you ever heard Damien Rice? I absolutely love this song called "9 Crimes", the only one of his I've heard so far. I must purchase the album as soon as I can.
06.03.2007 - 08:59
Strid
Account deleted
Written by Darth Satanious on 28.02.2007 at 03:23

Definitely. A professor of mine once said to me that language restraints us because there are some concepts, ideas, and feelings that we are unable to express (being this because of the already established words in our languages or for lack of knowledge of those words that can represent or express them) and I see truth in his words. I even go as far as to avoid reading the translations to the songs from the artists and bands that sing in other languages in order to avoid knowing what they say and maybe getting disappointed about it.

I completely agree with you there in feeling that music in this way can get to us deeper. I have an idea of why this could be. Perhaps, by ignoring the words of those songs we keep ourselves from getting a hold to what the composers want to express, what they really want to say in their songs. In some way, we may be taking those songs and making them ours by filtering them through ourselves with what we know, what we perceived which comes to be led by our experiences. It is not the same to read what someone has to say and to construct something by ourselves parting from some tools that have been given to us. I guess that this can be one of the reasons of why people enjoy polyvalent meanings in lyrics and in literature. It is kind of egoist to an extent if we come to think about it.

Hahaha, yes, if you are to have a role model regarding pronunciation, Reggaetón artists should be the last ones to look up to. Hey, be careful, if you are studying languages a time will come when there will not be any language left that you don't know and you won't enjoy music that much anymore.

P.S. Final Fantasy is THE coolness.

Deep, man....your professor totally knows his stuff. Though I tend to look for translations if I find I really like songs..heh, fatal, I know. Sometimes though, it's actually pretty rewarding, because even though sometimes the writer's vision and ours are so different, at times, I find that their visions and mine coincide almost perfectly, or that their expression of their ideas is amazing, or that what they see is superior to what I do. In those cases, it's all worthwhile
I definitely am with you on what you're saying though, and even if it might be egoist, that's the whole point of great music....the experience of losing yourself, yet being transported into your own personal new world...it really is a self-focussed activity

And yeah, that pronunciation thing is deadly, I know a guy who...seriously...every time I hear him speak, I feel like shaking him and saying wtf...you sound like a gangster, man...and the sad thing is that cuz he's pretty fluent, nearly all the other students are in awe of his 'greatness'
06.03.2007 - 09:02
Strid
Account deleted
Written by Graveheart on 04.03.2007 at 18:26

Any of you ever heard Damien Rice? I absolutely love this song called "9 Crimes", the only one of his I've heard so far. I must purchase the album as soon as I can.

9 Crimes...seriously depressing stuff right there...Damien Rice is cool, and that song is amazing, but seriously, I think it's the best song I've ever heard from him. Don't rush to buy the album after hearing just one song, man.
07.03.2007 - 21:11
Graveheart
True, buying a Damien Rice album would be a bit too early at the moment so I'll be looking for more samples first. On the other hand though, that one song alone seems worth buying the whole album... seriously, it's not just an average good song, it's better than most metal actually.
07.03.2007 - 21:57
Torelli
Written by ?Bodomchild? on 15.02.2007 at 16:50

Ska-P - La Mosca Cojonera (its a ska band from Spain, and the music and the lyrincs are so good its a song against the pope)

Someone who have mentioned Ska-P! Yeah, that song is really good, but I don't know so much about the lyrics as I don't understand spanish.

I'm currently stuck on a song called "Mury" written by Jacek Kaczmarski. This song was written in 1978 and was soon adapted to a protest song against the communist regime in Poland during the early 80's.
The lyrics is really good, even though I surley miss some things as i had to read a translation. However, the music has really power in it, I understands why people so quickly used this as a protest song.