Metal Storm logo
New Album Recommendations 2011

Original post

Posted by IronAngel, 08.03.2011 - 23:09
I couldn't find a topic like this, so I'm not sure if there's a lot of interest in it. But since one of the biggest reasons for my coming here is to discover new music, I think we ought to have a topic dedicated to recommending the latest and greatest music to have just been released. We have staff picks and great reviews already, but a lot of stuff goes under the radar. So share your exciting new discoveries or the comebacks of old favorites with the rest of us here.

I guess it's nice to start this from the beginning of the year, but you can of course recommend some 2010 albums you think were overlooked, too.

My recommendations that haven't already been covered by MS reviews are, so far:

Crowbar - Sever The Wicked Hand: Kirk got sober and found Jesus. Good for him, I guess. It doesn't show in the music, which is as thick, sludgy and melancholy as ever before. Another solid addition to an incredibly consistent discography, if not quite their strongest effort.

DoomSword - The Eternal Battle: I've been pretty unfamiliar with DoomSword for a long time even if I've known about them and heard a song here and there. That's still the case. From what I can tell, though, The Eternal Battle is not quite as doomy and epic as their first albums but rather leans towards traditional heavy metal with the faster riffs and stuff. Pretty impressive nonetheless, there's something authentic and endearing about the band. (Couldn't find a sample, sorry.)

Weedeater - Jason... The Dragon: The sludge/stoner act Weedeater buzzes and crushes away with a deep, heavy sound that really appeals to me. When they're loud, they're tight. There's some strange filler and interludes on this album that don't really fit in, though.

Orchid - Capricorn: Orchid have released a lauded EP already, but Capricorn is their first full-length. They play groovy old school Sabbath worship. It's not new, but why should it be when it's this good?
16.06.2011 - 01:38
The Turbanator
Also Peste Noire's "L'Ordure à l'état Pur"

----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
16.06.2011 - 02:29
The Turbanator
Holy shit. Thank you for whoever who uploaded "A Million Dead Birds Laughing". That album is massive!
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
16.06.2011 - 16:47
The Turbanator
Altar of Plague's Mammal as well.

----
27.06.2011 - 22:36
(((O)))

Petrychor - Effigies And Epitaphs
Very atmospheric and beautiful BM, the production is perfect and adds to the atmosphere and it has this epic feeling, I love it.
28.06.2011 - 13:55
(((O)))

Dining In Tuscany - 1556
This is some really cool shit (good shit not bad shit), black metal/grindcore but they mix it with ambient and some post-rock. Technical, brutal, atmospheric, epic and beautiful, it's fucking amazing.
28.06.2011 - 17:32
Written by (((O))) on 28.06.2011 at 13:55

Dining In Tuscany - 1556
This is some really cool shit (good shit not bad shit), black metal/grindcore but they mix it with ambient and some post-rock. Technical, brutal, atmospheric, epic and beautiful, it's fucking amazing.

Shame about the name... Dining in Tuscany? Seriously? Are you sure it's not Dying in Tuscany?
08.07.2011 - 14:29
InnerSelf
proofread free
Alaskan - Adversity; Woe
Yummy Sludgy Post-Metal . one of this year's highlights for me

----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
08.07.2011 - 19:43
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
09.07.2011 - 00:55
Death To Posers
Hate Thy King
----
The word gen means "illusion" or "apparition." In India, a man who uses conjury is called a genjutsushi ["a master of illusion technique"]. Everything in this world is but a marionette show. Thus we use the word gen.
12.07.2011 - 03:47
Xenosimian
Near death condition - in spiritual spheres
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5-PWVr_F_o

upheaval - incubate the wasteland
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZztGgYDdO0

beyond creation - the aura
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjQUSGmVCGo

probably my top 3 releases thus far.
----
This body holding me, reminding me of my own mortality
We are eternal, this pain is just an illusion...
12.07.2011 - 18:19
InnerSelf
proofread free
Dirge - Elysian Magnetic Fields
addictive !

----
is not bold enough
13.07.2011 - 06:11
Mikyz
Ima post some stuff I'm digging right now but if you want a more clear picture you could always check my 2011 list which I'm updating regularly, even though I'm not posting in the forums as much as before.

A Million Dead Birds Laughing - Force Fed Enlightenment

I'm always interested in bands hat are experimenting and these guys are an Experimental grindcore outfit, as in they're playing some sort of technical grindcore with melodic tendencies and comprehensible yet fitting vocals.

True Widow - As High As The Highest Heavens And From The Center To The Circumference Of The Earth

Heavy Stoner Doom with Shoegaze elements lead by both female and male vocals, an entrancing listen one of my recent discoveries thanks to !J.O.O.E.!'s 2011 llst.

Verwüstung - Beyond the Watercolor Sunset, We Feel New Life

As a Self-Released "Blackgaze" album, this 28 minutes opus is IMPRESSIVE, from its entrancing ambient moments to its intense and raw full-on black metal assaults the song is consistently engaging with no luls whatsoever.

Frandy - Relief

This is a Demo, and I'm not really sure what genre this is but it reminds me of Trap Them and Converge, and it's very promising, I'm looking forward to the full length.
----
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
13.07.2011 - 10:14
IronAngel
Written by Mikyz on 13.07.2011 at 06:11

True Widow - As High As The Highest Heavens And From The Center To The Circumference Of The Earth

Heavy Stoner Doom with Shoegaze elements lead by both female and male vocals, an entrancing listen one of my recent discoveries thanks to !J.O.O.E.!'s 2011 llst.

It's a great album. Pretty surprising to see it recommended here. I didn't make the connection to doom and stoner when I heard it, I just thought it sounded like regular shoegaze/indie rock with an unusually full, low-end sound. And I still don't hear it, to be honest. I think you're just trying to find excuses to dig an indie album. No doubt one of my top 25 of the year.
13.07.2011 - 10:59
Mikyz
Written by IronAngel on 13.07.2011 at 10:14

It's a great album. Pretty surprising to see it recommended here. I didn't make the connection to doom and stoner when I heard it, I just thought it sounded like regular shoegaze/indie rock with an unusually full, low-end sound. And I still don't hear it, to be honest. I think you're just trying to find excuses to dig an indie album. No doubt one of my top 25 of the year.

I'm not embarrassed at all Half my music collection is non metal >.< It's just that I hear it, this record is heavy but not heavy as in My Bloody Valentine or Asobi Seksu kind of way bu rather in an overbearing Electric Wizard kinda vibe (not as much), or it might just be me
----
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
13.07.2011 - 23:48
IronAngel
I was half-kidding about the embarassement. But I do know what you mean: the lazy, low-end guitar sound did remind me of Earth or something like that. But that alone wasn't enough for me to make any mental connection between doom and the band. Cool stuff, anyway!
14.07.2011 - 00:01
Guib
Thrash Talker
I got two recommendations... I believe they already been mentioned but its 2 really good albums
1. Time Is Up (by Havok)
and
2. Boundless (by Assaulter)
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
14.07.2011 - 04:40
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Abysmal Darkening - No Light Behind

Band started in 2003 released their demo in 2004, played at Dutch Doom Days in 2006 and have now finally released their debut album.

A great slab of extreme doom with an awesome cover of Sisters Of Mercy's Marian
Recommended to fans of Deinonychus, Bethlehem, Loss etc.
This is some nice blacked at times stonerish extreme death doom
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

14.07.2011 - 09:42
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Just checked these guys out. Great album. Sweet stoner sludge album. The vocals are just so dirty and filty, with some crushing guitars backing it up. Definitely a good find.

Beast wars- Beastwars, good artwork as well, that actually made me check the album out. You can listen to the whole album at their bandcamp

http://beastwars.bandcamp.com/album/beastwars
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
14.07.2011 - 12:11
demonseed
----
A Servant in Heaven A King in Hell
14.07.2011 - 16:31
oroboros
Written by Xenosimian on 12.07.2011 at 03:47

Near death condition - in spiritual spheres
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5-PWVr_F_o

upheaval - incubate the wasteland
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZztGgYDdO0

beyond creation - the aura
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjQUSGmVCGo

probably my top 3 releases thus far.

All 3 albums are fucking epic.
14.07.2011 - 17:35
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Spirit Molecule on 14.07.2011 at 09:42

Just checked these guys out. Great album. Sweet stoner sludge album. The vocals are just so dirty and filty, with some crushing guitars backing it up. Definitely a good find.

You talkng about about Abysmal Darkening or Beast wars?
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

14.07.2011 - 22:49
Xenosimian
Written by InnerSelf on 08.07.2011 at 14:29

Alaskan - Adversity; Woe

This is a real hit or miss genre for me, but these guys are most certainly a hit. Thanks for the hook up.
----
15.07.2011 - 09:24
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 14.07.2011 at 17:35

Written by Spirit Molecule on 14.07.2011 at 09:42

You talkng about about Abysmal Darkening or Beast wars?

sorry Beastwars, not Abysmal Darkening. I'm checking an Abysmal darkening sample right now.
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
15.07.2011 - 09:50
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
If people havent had a listen to the new disma yet, they should definitely get onto it. crushing death metal monstrosity. features members of both incantation and funebrarum for those who are unaware
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
15.07.2011 - 14:37
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by Xenosimian on 14.07.2011 at 22:49

Alaskan - Adversity; Woe

This is a real hit or miss genre for me, but these guys are most certainly a hit. Thanks for the hook up.

No problem be sure to also check Dirge's new album
----
is not bold enough
15.07.2011 - 14:54
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by BurbotsRevenge on 15.07.2011 at 09:50

If people havent had a listen to the new disma yet, they should definitely get onto it. crushing death metal monstrosity. features members of both incantation and funebrarum for those who are unaware

It's just a shame it isn't released yet
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.07.2011 - 21:48
Xenosimian
Written by InnerSelf on 15.07.2011 at 14:37

Written by Xenosimian on 14.07.2011 at 22:49

Alaskan - Adversity; Woe

No problem be sure to also check Dirge's new album

I listened to the one song you posted, couldn't really get into it. Like I said, hit or miss.
----
15.07.2011 - 21:51
Xenosimian
Also, Evan Brewer's Alone bears honourable mention. This man is simple fucking amazing!

http://youtu.be/X8e8qXxwDu8
----
16.07.2011 - 03:57
Pazu
I don't know if it's been mentioned here before, but Sanhedrin has released a new EP, and it's awesome. I had never even heard of this band until I watched Coverkillernations Review of their latest effort. At the core, they play atmospheric death metal, but I don't really know enough about the more extreme stuff to actually describe it any further, so check it out for yourself, if you're into that kind of style. You can listen to two of the three songs here, and download the EP for free on their Facebook page if you like it.
17.07.2011 - 07:29
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 15.07.2011 at 14:54

Written by BurbotsRevenge on 15.07.2011 at 09:50

It's just a shame it isn't released yet

haha, but it is streaming in its entirety

also, new baring teeth album called atrophy is pretty cool from first couple of listens. heavily influenced by ulcerate and gorguts. def worth checking out if your into ulcerate, gorguts, deathspell, and generally unorthodox death metal
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains