Metal Storm logo
Band Profiles: Report Mistakes

Original post

Posted by Baz Anderson, 15.03.2011 - 18:14
This is your place to report mistakes with our featured bands, in the same way as the last thread:

http://www.metalstorm.net/forum/topic.php?topic_id=3137
06.02.2014 - 05:49
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Vulture Industries requires the progressive metal tag, Dissona requires the avant-garde metal tag, and Karnivool requires the progressive metal tag.
06.02.2014 - 05:58
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by LeKiwi on 06.02.2014 at 05:49
Vulture Industries requires the progressive metal tag, Dissona requires the avant-garde metal tag, and Karnivool requires the progressive metal tag.

VI and Karnivool were obvious based on the general consensus of both bands being prog bands (more so of alternative prog a la Tool in Karnivool's case) but I'm not biting on Dissona being avant-garde. Admittedly I haven't listened to their stuff (although the name seems familiar for some reason) but there isn't anything I've read about them online that supports the need for the avant-garde tag.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
06.02.2014 - 06:08
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Troy Killjoy on 06.02.2014 at 05:58
VI and Karnivool were obvious based on the general consensus of both bands being prog bands (more so of alternative prog a la Tool in Karnivool's case) but I'm not biting on Dissona being avant-garde. Admittedly I haven't listened to their stuff (although the name seems familiar for some reason) but there isn't anything I've read about them online that supports the need for the avant-garde tag.

Thanks for updating the other two. As for Dissona, they are just have no boundaries, there's nothing that sounds like them. They're more avant-garde than VI and on par with Leprous and Omb; which reminds me, the latter should be labelled as progressive metal as well.
06.02.2014 - 06:12
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Also, sort of off-topic, but what should I do to help activate Omb's profile?

Back on topic, here are two reviewers who think Dissona is avant-garde: first and second
06.02.2014 - 09:27
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by LeKiwi on 06.02.2014 at 06:12

Also, sort of off-topic, but what should I do to help activate Omb's profile?

It doesn't have logo and complete line-up(check out band's bio).

If you done with that, click "request activation" and probably one of the staffers will look into it further.
06.02.2014 - 14:45
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by LeKiwi on 06.02.2014 at 06:08
Thanks for updating the other two. As for Dissona, they are just have no boundaries, there's nothing that sounds like them. They're more avant-garde than VI and on par with Leprous and Omb; which reminds me, the latter should be labelled as progressive metal as well.

Updated both. Other reviewers don't outright label Dissona as avant-garde but the way they describe them and the similar bands mentioned is enough for me.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
06.02.2014 - 14:59
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 06.02.2014 at 09:27

If you done with that, click "request activation" and probably one of the staffers will look into it further.

Apparently there seems to be a particular black and white logo style required for this website, but perusing through the band's various links, I couldn't find anything similar. This and this are the closest things I could find.

Edit: I changed the larger pic to black and white and extended its height and width. Hopefully that is acceptable, check it out.

Written by Troy Killjoy on 06.02.2014 at 14:45
Updated both. Other reviewers don't outright label Dissona as avant-garde but the way they describe them and the similar bands mentioned is enough for me.

Cheers man
06.02.2014 - 15:09
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Bilocate are most definitely simply extreme progressive metal. Reviewers here seem to agree that it's either progressive, Opeth-y, or both.
06.02.2014 - 15:22
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by LeKiwi on 06.02.2014 at 15:09
Bilocate are most definitely simply extreme progressive metal. Reviewers here seem to agree that it's either progressive, Opeth-y, or both.

I wouldn't call them simply extreme prog, although their latest album seemed to break into more progressive/melodic death territory. One constant throughout their career thus far is their death doom approach so that remains on the profile but I did add extreme prog for their latest release due to the similarities (as you pointed out) with the likes of Opeth.
----
06.02.2014 - 15:29
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Troy Killjoy on 06.02.2014 at 15:22
I wouldn't call them simply extreme prog, although their latest album seemed to break into more progressive/melodic death territory. One constant throughout their career thus far is their death doom approach so that remains on the profile but I did add extreme prog for their latest release due to the similarities (as you pointed out) with the likes of Opeth.

I just thought that extreme would cover everything, but you're right: the death doom tag keeps things accurate. Have you heard their sophomore effort, SDS? I've not got around to it, but does it introduce those extreme progressive elements?
06.02.2014 - 15:30
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by LeKiwi on 06.02.2014 at 15:29
I just thought that extreme would cover everything, but you're right: the death doom tag keeps things accurate. Have you heard their sophomore effort, SDS? I've not got around to it, but does it introduce those extreme progressive elements?

I listened to it about a year after it was released and haven't gone back since. From what I can remember it was fairly straightforward melodic death doom, but my memory isn't the greatest.
----
06.02.2014 - 15:43
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Troy Killjoy on 06.02.2014 at 15:30
I listened to it about a year after it was released and haven't gone back since. From what I can remember it was fairly straightforward melodic death doom, but my memory isn't the greatest.

I did notice the reviewers on MA were calling it Opeth-y and progressive, as with their latest. I'll have a listen soon and see what I hear.
06.02.2014 - 17:16
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Reviewers over at MA, tha bane of all things metal. The biggest bullshit ever I have seen those people spout.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

06.02.2014 - 17:59
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 06.02.2014 at 17:16

Reviewers over at MA, tha bane of all things metal. The biggest bullshit ever I have seen those people spout.

I knew that was going to come up, it was just a preliminary search really, couldn't be fucked.
06.02.2014 - 18:05
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by LeKiwi on 06.02.2014 at 14:59

Written by Cynic Metalhead on 06.02.2014 at 09:27

Apparently there seems to be a particular black and white logo style required for this website, but perusing through the band's various links, I couldn't find anything similar. This and this are the closest things I could find.

Edit: I changed the larger pic to black and white and extended its height and width. Hopefully that is acceptable, check it out.

I already added the logo.

In adding logo, background should be black. Nothing to do with the surface of logo. Yes, it shouldn't be blurred or different in shape from the original.
06.02.2014 - 20:03
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 06.02.2014 at 18:05

In adding logo, background should be black. Nothing to do with the surface of logo. Yes, it shouldn't be blurred or different in shape from the original.

Ok sure, but my logo is better
06.02.2014 - 21:20
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by LeKiwi on 06.02.2014 at 20:03

Written by Cynic Metalhead on 06.02.2014 at 18:05

Ok sure, but my logo is better.

We're not competing.
07.02.2014 - 11:13
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 06.02.2014 at 21:20

We're not competing.

I was kidding, take it ez
08.02.2014 - 11:50
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Ihsahn should have avant-garde metal from 2012-present, at the very least from 2013-present.
08.02.2014 - 18:27
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by LeKiwi on 08.02.2014 at 11:50
Ihsahn should have avant-garde metal from 2012-present, at the very least from 2013-present.

Agreed, if only for the fact that we nominated his latest album in the avant-garde category.
----
08.02.2014 - 18:35
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Troy Killjoy on 08.02.2014 at 18:27
Agreed, if only for the fact that we nominated his latest album in the avant-garde category.

Whoops...
10.02.2014 - 03:33
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Uneven Structure requires the progressive metal tag, djent doesn't do them justice.
10.02.2014 - 13:30
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by LeKiwi on 10.02.2014 at 03:33

Uneven Structure requires the progressive metal tag, djent doesn't do them justice.

Ambient
Djent

That would do them justice. There's nothing especially progressive about their form of "djent," especially as djent is generally regarded as a form of progressive metal by many anyway.

Actually, checking the edit history I already had to remove "progressive metal" and "math metal" from the current "djent" tag.

[edit]

For what it's worth I went through the album twice and the EP once again. Definitely not progressive.
10.02.2014 - 18:14
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Guest on 10.02.2014 at 13:30
Ambient
Djent

That would do them justice. There's nothing especially progressive about their form of "djent," especially as djent is generally regarded as a form of progressive metal by many anyway.

Actually, checking the edit history I already had to remove "progressive metal" and "math metal" from the current "djent" tag.

[edit]

For what it's worth I went through the album twice and the EP once again. Definitely not progressive.

Yes, that improves the matter, but is not accurate enough.

Definition of progressive metal from Prog Archives:
Quote:
This category represents the core movement of what is called "Progressive Metal" in the literal sense. It is a subgenre of progressive rock as much as it is a subgenre of heavy metal, and this is how its sound is defined: a blend of heavy, guitar-oriented metal music enriched with compositional innovation and complex arrangements, usually expressed through diverse instrumentation and often (but not always) with odd-time signatures. Common, but not essential to define the movement, are the frequent use of keyboards, high-pitched vocals, concept lyrical themes and tracks of longer duration. Similar to progressive rock, progressive metal draws influences from other genres, such as jazz/fusion, ethnic, classical and symphonic music.

Yes, djent does cover a large portion of those aspects, but others it does not, i.e. use of keyboards, concept lyrical themes, and tracks of longer duration. Tesseract, Vildhjarta, and Stealing Axion all share the progressive metal tag; Uneven Structure is equally progressive - even more so in some cases - as those bands.

Here's their profile on ProgArchives - tech/extreme prog.
10.02.2014 - 18:17
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by LeKiwi on 10.02.2014 at 18:14

Yes, that improves the matter, but is not accurate enough.

Definition of progressive metal from Prog Archives:

Doesn't matter what prog archives say, to my ears Uneven Structure do not approach the levels of progressive metal so labelling them so would make it less accurate. Their sound is identifiable with djent, so until they do something which approaches this I certainly won't be changing it. You can badger other people with the perms if you so wish.
10.02.2014 - 18:26
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Guest on 10.02.2014 at 18:17
Doesn't matter what prog archives say, to my ears Uneven Structure do not approach the levels of progressive metal so labelling them so would make it less accurate. Their sound is identifiable with djent, so until they do something which approaches this I certainly won't be changing it. You can badger other people with the perms if you so wish.

You think because Chimp Spanner incorporates a mere bit of jazz and wankery into the djent style that they are more progressive than Uneven Structure?

You still haven't addressed the fact that the other three bands I named have the tag and Uneven Structure does not.
10.02.2014 - 18:28
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by LeKiwi on 10.02.2014 at 18:26

You think because Chimp Spanner incorporates a mere bit of jazz and wankery into the djent style that they are more progressive than Uneven Structure?

You still haven't addressed the fact that the other three bands I named have the tag and Uneven Structure does not.

I don't have to address anything to someone who thinks Scar Symmetry are progressive metal
10.02.2014 - 18:30
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Guest on 10.02.2014 at 18:28
I don't have to address anything to someone who thinks Scar Symmetry are progressive metal

Fair enough, not going to bother with someone with the arrogance to say:
Quote:
Doesn't matter what prog archives say
10.02.2014 - 22:39
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Guest on 10.02.2014 at 18:28

Go ahead, call it Gothenburg or melodic death metal, it will be really funny.

Elements of neoclassical, power, and heavy metal in addition to use of conceptual lyrics, virtuosic and diverse vocals, keyboards, poly-rhythmic instrumentation...if you don't hear it...
10.02.2014 - 22:47
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by LeKiwi on 10.02.2014 at 22:39

Go ahead, call it Gothenburg or melodic death metal, it will be really funny.
Elements of neoclassical, power, heavy, conceptual lyrics, virtuosic and diverse vocals...if you don't hear it...

No thanks, I've listened to that yawn inducing generic melodeath band enough for one life time They will never be considered progressive on MS.