Metal Storm logo
Albums you love that everyone else hates & vice versa.

Original post

Posted by M C Vice, 10.12.2011 - 10:05
What are the albums that seemingly everyone hates but you think are great? Or so-called masterpieces that you find mediocre at best? Do you love Risk or Lulu? Do you thimk Blackwater Park or Painkiller are steaming piles of horse crap?
For me, Master Of Puppets was just boring. Take Welcome Home, Battery and The Thing That Should Not Be off it and I'd give it a 5.
I do, however, love Gallhammer's Ill Innocence (as well as The End), Judas Priest's Turbo and Black Sabbath's Seventh Star.
How about you? Where does your opinion differ to the masses. Go on, be honest. Its the internet, no one will ever know.
21.02.2012 - 06:49
metalheadpunk
Account deleted
Written by MangledCorpse on 19.02.2012 at 08:51

Maybe it's just me, but I liked The Formation of Damnation. Not Testament's best, but it's a pretty good album overall.

I think that album is great, but like you said not their best.
24.02.2012 - 10:20
slinx
Not to quote anybody, but I have to agree with South Of Heaven over Reign In Blood. RIB is the harder album, but SOH just has more melody and cohesion and has less filler which makes it easier to digest.
----
'You're short, you're fat, and even for a film critic you are ugly.' - The Critic
24.02.2012 - 21:37
Apatheria
Despite my intense love of doom metal, particularly the death/doom records that were being released in the 90's, I have never, EVER cared for My Dying Bride. I'd go as far as saying that "Turn Loose the Swans" may be the genre's most over-rated record. The screechy violin just does nothing for me. Plus, MDB is responsible for the weepy droves of romantic (read: sappy) doom metal bands that took over the genre for awhile.

As far as commonly resented albums that I enjoy, I can only think of Marilyn Manson's "Antichrist Superstar". There's a lot of scorn aimed at him from metal circles, but I've always enjoyed his work, particularly that album.
----
Heavy metal is the law.
24.02.2012 - 21:42
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
I loooooove Shadows Fall's Somber Eyes To The Sky.

most people don't.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
26.02.2012 - 01:40
DevilBabi
Ok, I always loved RELOAD from Metallica, but I get so many eye rolls at that one and I have never been able to work out why, its an awesome album!
26.02.2012 - 08:22
byng
Account deleted
Written by DevilBabi on 26.02.2012 at 01:40

Ok, I always loved RELOAD from Metallica, but I get so many eye rolls at that one and I have never been able to work out why, its an awesome album!

Yeah. I liked RELOAD too, especially Unforgiven II and Fuel.
26.02.2012 - 09:44
Necrox
Between The Buried And Me's Colors; People think its awesome how they incorporate so many genres into it, but I find it messy and lacking.
23.08.2012 - 05:10
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
Fear of the Dark, by Iron Maiden... For me, ten times better than Piece of Mind or even Powerslave. Also some albums by korn. I like them all except for those released in 2005/2007.

And I find "Blackwater Park" by Opeth boring as hell.
23.08.2012 - 13:43
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Guest on 23.08.2012 at 05:10

And I find "Blackwater Park" by Opeth boring as hell.

Ah, bro fist>>
23.08.2012 - 13:59
Warman
Erotic Stains
Adding more albums since my last post here.
I love Shining's two last records. Not really hated as many other "legendary bad" albums, but disliked by many. I find them just as good as their earlier work.
I think Judas Priest's "Demolition" is a good album, it has some kick ass tunes! Strangely enough, I dislike "Jugulator".

And I thought of another album I hate, which others just love (although I'm not so sure what the general MS opinion about it is). Nine Inch Nails' "The Downward Spiral" is except for two songs a real crappy album. The thing is that I want to like it, it's weird and I often like weird. I have respect for it, but I don't like it.
----
23.08.2012 - 15:07
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Apatheria on 24.02.2012 at 21:37

Despite my intense love of doom metal, particularly the death/doom records that were being released in the 90's, I have never, EVER cared for My Dying Bride. I'd go as far as saying that "Turn Loose the Swans" may be the genre's most over-rated record. The screechy violin just does nothing for me. Plus, MDB is responsible for the weepy droves of romantic (read: sappy) doom metal bands that took over the genre for awhile.

Don't think I will change your opinion but just letting you know that their debut is by far their best shit along with the EP previous to that one and definitely do not feautre sappy music at all (Sicne I totally get what you mean by sappy)...Their debut was quite a violent album.

Songs like The Forever People, Vast Choirs and The Return of the Beautiful contain some of their most extreme moments in particular.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
23.08.2012 - 16:57
Dinruth
I don't understand the hype behind Slayer at all ... I love the track 'South of Heaven' but beside that one I don't get their music .. sounds just like loud noises to me
23.08.2012 - 23:13
Capt. Fluntas
Well I personally really like Slayer's debut Show No Mercy, however I've noticed that most people overlook it mostly due to the poor sound quality and other reasons
For me though it's got lotsa catchy riffs and it's got that 80's thrash charm that's unique.
----
Life is one big meme.
24.08.2012 - 11:49
Pazu
The first three Kamelot albums. I really enjoy listening to them. They have this atmosphere that just takes me to the old days of Great Britain, when Arthur was supposedly around. A lot of people dislike Mark's vocals, but I think they are really good. Some of my favorite songs from those albums are 'Fire Within', 'Birth Of A Hero' and of course the amazing 'King's Eyes'. I mean come on, any power metal fan has got to love those tracks.
25.08.2012 - 06:03
helofloki
Written by Necrox on 26.02.2012 at 09:44

Between The Buried And Me's Colors; People think its awesome how they incorporate so many genres into it, but I find it messy and lacking.

For me, I loved colors, but could never quite get into Alaska. All my buddies loved Alaska. It just never happened for me.

I also think Pain of Salvation's 'Road Salt I' is a masterpiece. This album got a lot of flack. Really there seems to be two kinds of POS fans, those who want them to do another BE and those who want them to return to the days of The Perfect Element I and Remedy Lane. I usually fall under the ladder though I try to keep myself open just cause I love them and I think it's cool that they try new things. Scarsick was ok, not great. I really don't like Road Salt II. But Road Salt I really rocked.
28.08.2012 - 02:21
Oaken
Hipster
While many people regard it as a masterpiece of black metal, I simply find Deathspell Omega's Fas a chaotic mess.
----
In that case, man is only air as well.
28.08.2012 - 04:06
ohthechaosity
I can't stand Electric Wizard's Dopethrone, it just dragged on way too much for me and lo-fi gets on my nerves to a point. But I lovelovelove Black Masses, especially Black Mass, a wonderfully catchy song.
28.08.2012 - 05:04
I love In Flame's Reroute to remain
Yes, It was their big sell out album, but it's the only one of theirs that I truely enjoy. I hate everything after, and am pretty indifferent to everything before. Colony was okay, though.
31.08.2012 - 14:18
ANGEL REAPER
I guess that Darkthrone's Circle the Wagons is the album that a lot of people dont like but i like it and listen to it quite often...
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
31.08.2012 - 15:09
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Everyone praise latest Blut Aus Nord EPs, but i can barely find anything good on them
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

31.08.2012 - 17:28
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by ohthechaosity on 28.08.2012 at 04:06

I can't stand Electric Wizard's Dopethrone, it just dragged on way too much for me and lo-fi gets on my nerves to a point. But I lovelovelove Black Masses, especially Black Mass, a wonderfully catchy song.

With you there. Everyone rates this piece of overlong fuzz but I can't stand it. Love or at least like pretty much every other Electric Wizard album.
31.08.2012 - 18:26
Oaken
Hipster
Written by Ellrohir on 31.08.2012 at 15:09

Everyone praise latest Blut Aus Nord EPs, but i can barely find anything good on them

Have you listened to it extensively? It took me several spins, but now I really appreciate it.
----
In that case, man is only air as well.
31.08.2012 - 21:28
Misfit74
Lamb Of God (any/all)
Hatebreed (any/all)

I'm also a big fan of Slayer's South Of Heaven, Seasons In The Abyss, and God Hates Us All

Tons of slam albums that people reject/ignore/hate, but I love most all the stuff from Kraanium, Pathology, Abnormity, and Begging For Incest
01.09.2012 - 14:06
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Written by Oaken on 31.08.2012 at 18:26

Written by Ellrohir on 31.08.2012 at 15:09

Have you listened to it extensively? It took me several spins, but now I really appreciate it.

i simply cant stand it...i find hard spending time with listening to stuff i dont enjoy while there is so much music i like or have to discover
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

01.09.2012 - 19:49
MetalSpider
Katatonia - Dead End Kings....there seems to be more hate and disappointment towards Katatonia's new album than love for it.

I personally love it and think it's one of their best efforts to date.
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
08.09.2012 - 16:36
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
I hate Pink Floyd.

There, I said it.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
08.09.2012 - 16:45
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Boxcar Willy on 08.09.2012 at 16:36

I hate Pink Floyd.

There, I said it.

I hate you.

There, I said it.
----
Rod, let me love you.
08.09.2012 - 19:09
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by X-Ray Rod on 08.09.2012 at 16:45

I hate Pink Floyd.

There, I said it.

I hate you.

There, I said it.

y can't we b friends?

I just think they're really boring, and insanely overrated.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
08.09.2012 - 22:58
ThunderAxe1989
Account deleted
Written by Boxcar Willy on 08.09.2012 at 19:09

Written by X-Ray Rod on 08.09.2012 at 16:45

I hate Pink Floyd.

There, I said it.

I hate you.

There, I said it.

y can't we b friends?

I totally agree 100% even while stoned, I still don't care for them
08.09.2012 - 23:02
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Boxcar Willy on 08.09.2012 at 19:09

I can accept boring but due to their extremely highly influential music in so many bands and genres I would never call them overrated since they deserve the praise they get for such influence. I use the overrated word when a band doesn't deserve such praise for a justified reason.

For example... I don't like Queen. Wouldn't call them overrated though.
----
Rod, let me love you.