Metal Storm logo
Iron Maiden

Original post

Posted by GT, 25.03.2008 - 21:26
Since the old topic exceded its post limit here's the new topic about the band many of us like.

Last discussion in the old topic was about these shoes.

Post your thoughts and comments

EDIT: link to the old topic here
17.02.2010 - 00:03
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 16.02.2010 at 23:42

Written by Valentin B on 16.02.2010 at 23:35

right now the only bit i remember clearly was something in 6/8 time signature with harmonies and weird drums.. to me it seems pretty unexpected from Maiden, but trying something new never hurts.

Uh, need I remind you:

And

Some bands just aren't cut out for it. XD

oh boy.. don't get me started on Priest's inventiveness and their constant drive to make every album different than the previous, which on many occasions was a genius move(Painkiller, Screaming For Vengeance, Ram It Down, Jugulator, Stained Class, Sad Wings, i'd even say Nostradamus). i can't really comment on Megadeth though lol.
17.02.2010 - 00:16
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Valentin B on 17.02.2010 at 00:03

oh boy.. don't get me started on Priest's inventiveness and their constant drive to make every album different than the previous, which on many occasions was a genius move(Painkiller, Screaming For Vengeance, Ram It Down, Jugulator, Stained Class, Sad Wings, i'd even say Nostradamus). i can't really comment on Megadeth though lol.

Priest is different than Megadeth when it comes to blatantly changing their sound. Megadeth tried it once with an obvious fail that is Risk. Priest just takes there sound and applies the heavy rock/metal sound that is currently popular to their stuff. It's very hit or miss when you try to reinvent yourself so much.
20.02.2010 - 19:58
MeTalRea|istiK
One of the pioneer..no word can describe the wonderful of this band!!
20.02.2010 - 20:33
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
You can simply say - "UP THE IRONS"
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

26.02.2010 - 04:42
Richard
Elite
Written by Tormentor666 on 16.02.2010 at 20:18

I have read somewhere on the Internet that Iron Maiden have just finished recording their new album, their producer has stated that there's a lot of work left to do.

What do you expect from Iron Maiden's new album? I think it will be more or less the same as their former album stylistically speaking. If so, I think I'm gonna like it.

Iron Maiden are one of those bands we can (usually) rely on to release quality albums, so I'm sure it'll be great stuff. If the new material is 'more or less' like the former album, then that's fine with me, too. Maiden experiment a bit, but on their own terms.. even their not-quite-so-good stuff still has their signature sound, and whether it's a simple 3-minute job, or a more epic, progressive composition, you know it's going to sound like Iron Maiden, because they have established their own style.
----
04.03.2010 - 06:36
mortjoyeux
AHhh
I heard there are gonna be some CANADIAN tour dates released tomorrow? (Thursday)
I would kill for another Vancouver date.
06.03.2010 - 10:20
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by mortjoyeux on 04.03.2010 at 06:36

AHhh
I heard there are gonna be some CANADIAN tour dates released tomorrow? (Thursday)
I would kill for another Vancouver date.

yup, there is a Vancouver date

on another note, after watching Flight 666 i felt so horrible for not attending their gig here. some guy in Costa Rica quit his job to attend the show, people in Bogota camped outside the venue for several days and even an air traffic controller was excited about the show(Bruce communicated to him something like "Flight 666 maintaining course" and the guy replied "666, the number of the beast!") and i passed because i didn't want to be too tired when going to the seaside with my old group of friends just the next day. instead of going to the gig i sold the ticket i had bought in December 2007 to some fat dude with a cowboy hat on the day of the show.

FFS my best friend told me "fuck it man, just go to the gig"... i could have gone there on the fucking 6th. now my concern is not about the concert setlist, because i'm not one of those old maiden fanboys, pretty much their whole discography i like, but my only beef is with Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner. i hope Bruce will stick true to his words about it being the most exciting song of the whole night and they'll keep on playing it on their next european tour.
06.03.2010 - 10:37
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Yes, i also think you fucked it up there by not going on their show

i would say 08.08.2008 was the best day of my life so far
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

06.03.2010 - 11:28
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Ellrohir on 06.03.2010 at 10:37

Yes, i also think you fucked it up there by not going on their show

i would say 08.08.2008 was the best day of my life so far

mine was probably 11.07.2008, the day Priest came round lol. everything was just perfect that day. i remember i was something like "hmm.. so they still play their stuff a bit slower" when Eat Me Alive started, and i went absolutely bananas. man i was such a fanboy.

EDIT i think it's a tie actually between that and the last day of Wacken last year. almost everything went just perfect, i made 15 euros scavenging for beer glasses, drank a lot of milk, the weather was good, Cathedral was epic as fuck, Volbeat, Gwar and Machine Head rocked too and even though i missed Korpiklaani, Saxon played the best show they ever.
06.03.2010 - 23:06
Got Mayhem?
So pumped, just when I thought I wouldn't get a chance to see Maiden in my lifetime they announce a date just an hour away from me. If I miss out on the tickets I'll be more devastated than ever before in my life.
----
07.03.2010 - 02:53
mortjoyeux
Written by Got Mayhem? on 06.03.2010 at 23:06

So pumped, just when I thought I wouldn't get a chance to see Maiden in my lifetime they announce a date just an hour away from me. If I miss out on the tickets I'll be more devastated than ever before in my life.

YOU MUST GO!
This will be my second time, and wow...they put on a fucking killer show.

Buy the first pair of tickets you can get a hold of(assuming you're buying online).
I searched a couple more times to see if i could get better ones, but nope they go way too fast.

Don't wait in line for these tickets, only idiots do that. You'll get your ass kicked by online buyers.
07.03.2010 - 04:05
Got Mayhem?
Written by mortjoyeux on 07.03.2010 at 02:53

YOU MUST GO!

Buy the first pair of tickets you can get a hold of(assuming you're buying online).
I searched a couple more times to see if i could get better ones, but nope they go way too fast.

Don't wait in line for these tickets, only idiots do that. You'll get your ass kicked by online buyers.

Tickets start selling to everyone non-fanclub the 20th? I better be able to afford them, though my birthday is the 27th... early birthday present?
----
07.03.2010 - 05:13
mortjoyeux
Written by Got Mayhem? on 07.03.2010 at 04:05

YOU MUST GO!

Tickets start selling to everyone non-fanclub the 20th? I better be able to afford them, though my birthday is the 27th... early birthday present?

UH, for certain dates it's march 20th (yours/other cities in the states). Tickets go on sale for vancouver and other canadian dates on the 13th.
Beg people for money, you need to make it!
07.03.2010 - 05:21
Got Mayhem?
Written by mortjoyeux on 07.03.2010 at 05:13

YOU MUST GO!

UH, for certain dates it's march 20th (yours/other cities in the states). Tickets go on sale for vancouver and other canadian dates on the 13th.

Rumors are about $30-80 USD for at least some kind of ticket. I can definitely do that. The only thing left now is the wait...
----
07.03.2010 - 05:24
mortjoyeux
Written by Got Mayhem? on 07.03.2010 at 05:21

YOU MUST GO!

Rumors are about $30-80 USD for at least some kind of ticket. I can definitely do that. The only thing left now is the wait...

Sounds about right, may be a tad bit more though. I think floor/general tickets are cheaper?
I wouldn't want floor tickets at maiden though..
07.03.2010 - 05:28
Got Mayhem?
Written by mortjoyeux on 07.03.2010 at 05:24

Written by Got Mayhem? on 07.03.2010 at 05:21

YOU MUST GO!

Sounds about right, may be a tad bit more though. I think floor/general tickets are cheaper?
I wouldn't want floor tickets at maiden though..

We'll see I guess. Personally I'm going to get the best ones I can afford, keeping in mind that there's going to be other concerts comming up in the summer as well.
----
11.03.2010 - 03:34
mortjoyeux
I got miiiiiiiiiine today. The fanclub got a presale code some days earlier. Hells yaa.
I spent $215 on two tickets, row 9 right by the stage. ( I don't care for floor)
11.03.2010 - 03:56
Culty
They don't have a Florida date... I'm going to Nicko's restaurant on Friday to have a word with him.
----
Gfnttlr
14.03.2010 - 11:45
Valentin B
Iconoclast
I'm curious if they're gonna stop by our little country on their next european tour(which i presume will start with the festivals)
14.03.2010 - 16:27
MeloDeathViking
I can't wait for tickets to go on sale. Told myself the next time they came I'd by tickets for the pit, no matter how much they cost, causeeven from the back that was one of the best concerts I've ever been to, and the fact that dream theater is with them makes it that much more enticing since I've never seen them before.
----
"I am not superstitious, but I'm a little 'stitious." - Michael Scott
02.04.2010 - 22:39
Valentin B
Iconoclast
FUCK ME i cannot BELIEVE how sucky Bruce's vocals are on the Live After Death DVD/album, i even gave up watching it before the second song ended. they're not absolutely horrid, but from Bruce i have enormous expectations, and he completely disappoints on LAD. on Aces High i swear this guy is almost better, at least he tries to keep the rhythm and holds the microphone steady: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkTRV7vz06k and on 2 minutes to midnight.. fuck, i swear i could have done at least as "good" a job.. it's really a shame because the audio/video quality is superb.

Rock In Rio, even with 5-6 tracks from BNW and with Dave jumping around looking gay as fuck, still beats this piece of crap to a pulp. Bruce's vocals on both releases are just incomparable.
02.04.2010 - 22:44
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Valentin B on 02.04.2010 at 22:39

FUCK ME i cannot BELIEVE how sucky Bruce's vocals are on the Live After Death DVD/album, i even gave up watching it before the second song ended. they're not absolutely horrid, but from Bruce i have enormous expectations, and he completely disappoints on LAD. on Aces High i swear this guy is almost better, at least he tries to keep the rhythm and holds the microphone steady: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkTRV7vz06k and on 2 minutes to midnight.. fuck, i swear i could have done at least as "good" a job.. it's really a shame because the audio/video quality is superb.

Rock In Rio, even with 5-6 tracks from BNW, beats this piece of crap to a pulp. Bruce's vocals on both releases are just incomparable.

I just think both songs are bad live, tbh. But shit, dude... He KILLS the vocals on The Flight of Icarus and Revelations. It's very hit or miss on that live album with Bruce. :l
02.04.2010 - 23:07
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 02.04.2010 at 22:44

Rock In Rio, even with 5-6 tracks from BNW, beats this piece of crap to a pulp. Bruce's vocals on both releases are just incomparable.

I just think both songs are bad live, tbh. But shit, dude... He KILLS the vocals on The Flight of Icarus and Revelations. It's very hit or miss on that live album with Bruce. :l

i think he was either really REALLY tired or (most probably) just drunk/high as fuck. imo even Icarus or Revelations(while being better than the rest) are way WAY below what he is normally capable of.
02.04.2010 - 23:12
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Valentin B on 02.04.2010 at 23:07

i think he was either really REALLY tired or (most probably) just drunk/high as fuck. imo even Icarus or Revelations(while being better than the rest) are way WAY below what he is normally capable of.

Eh, I like most of the vocals on the album. They sound a bit more "raw" than usual. Each is to his own, I suppose.
02.04.2010 - 23:15
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 02.04.2010 at 23:12

Written by Valentin B on 02.04.2010 at 23:07

Eh, I like most of the vocals on the album. They sound a bit more "raw" than usual. Each is to his own, I suppose.

"raw"? surely you mean: "RAW, MOTHERFUCKER >:-["
02.04.2010 - 23:25
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Valentin B on 02.04.2010 at 23:15

"raw"? surely you mean: "RAW, MOTHERFUCKER >:-["

Like this?

03.04.2010 - 01:37
Lord_Regnier

Rock In Rio, even with 5-6 tracks from BNW and with Dave jumping around looking gay as fuck, still beats this piece of crap to a pulp. Bruce's vocals on both releases are just incomparable.

I respect your opinion. You have the right to like or dislike anything you want.
However, I must admit I don't understand your criticism here. The difference between Bruce's vocals during the 80s and since his comeback is his voice had some sharpness, some raw power back then (especially apparent on songs like "Powerslave" or "Moonchild" or "The Evil That Men Do", where it sounds kinda tormented and evil) that is not present since his comeback. Imo, it's one of the greatest flaw of Maiden's music since BNW.
I've been used to Maiden during the 80s, so Bruce's vocals sound weak, bland and a bit cheesy for me on the new albums (from BNW onwards).
He has lost much power in his voice over the years.

I remember I had friends back then who disliked his vocals because of that rawness.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
03.04.2010 - 11:42
Valentin B
Iconoclast
I think i realized what the problem is with Bruce's vocals on that DVD. he "shouts" too much. nowadays his vocals are much more controlled and similar to how he sounds on the studio.. i like that. plus, like with Halford, i don't think he sounds weak or something, quite the contrary, both guys have developed lower ranges and some kind of "hrrmmh" edge to their voices that make them sound EVIL.

compare these two videos(yeah i know it's Halford, but it makes my point with Bruce perfectly):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nx00tIL8RY8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVS6-sTZRhk

it may be that Rob was drunk when he filmed the first one(like Bruce on LAD) but the comparison stands. on the second video he sounds far more focused and harsh(at the cost of sounding fresh and young, or "raw" as you guys say), imo.
then again, there's always the possibility that we have diverging opinions on what sounds "powerful" haha.
03.04.2010 - 16:05
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite

FUCK ME i cannot BELIEVE how sucky Bruce's vocals are on the Live After Death DVD/album,

The DVD and the album are different gigs.
The vocals on the album are vastly superior than his vocals on the dvd.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.04.2010 - 16:23
Lord_Regnier
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 03.04.2010 at 16:05

FUCK ME i cannot BELIEVE how sucky Bruce's vocals are on the Live After Death DVD/album,

The DVD and the album are different gigs.
The vocals on the album are vastly superior than his vocals on the dvd.

Damn! Sorry, I forgot to mention it, Valentin B.
Marcel's right. There's a noticeable difference between the album and the DVD when it comes to vocals.
It's definitely better on the album.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"