Metal Storm logo
Iron Maiden

Original post

Posted by GT, 25.03.2008 - 21:26
Since the old topic exceded its post limit here's the new topic about the band many of us like.

Last discussion in the old topic was about these shoes.

Post your thoughts and comments

EDIT: link to the old topic here
03.04.2010 - 22:07
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Valentin B on 03.04.2010 at 11:42

I think i realized what the problem is with Bruce's vocals on that DVD. he "shouts" too much.

I know exactally what you mean... But he didn't get the nickname Air-raid Siren Bruce (or something like that) for no reason because of that album. Also, it's arguable, but it seems that all Bruce does on Somewhere In Time is yell.
04.04.2010 - 00:29
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 03.04.2010 at 22:07

Written by Valentin B on 03.04.2010 at 11:42

I think i realized what the problem is with Bruce's vocals on that DVD. he "shouts" too much.

I know exactally what you mean... But he didn't get the nickname Air-raid Siren Bruce (or something like that) for no reason because of that album. Also, it's arguable, but it seems that all Bruce does on Somewhere In Time is yell.

at least his shouting on SIT doesn't sound out of place. don't get me wrong, i love what he does on the studio albums and that's where he really shines imo.
04.04.2010 - 00:35
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Valentin B on 04.04.2010 at 00:29

at least his shouting on SIT doesn't sound out of place. don't get me wrong, i love what he does on the studio albums and that's where he really shines imo.

I agree, but I think he is very entertaining live... Especially lately with his cheesy costumes and stuff. He's a great frontman. Oh and SIT is one of my favorite Maiden album by the way. Very underrated... well, underrated for Maiden at least.
04.04.2010 - 01:10
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 04.04.2010 at 00:35

Written by Valentin B on 04.04.2010 at 00:29

I agree, but I think he is very entertaining live... Especially lately with his cheesy costumes and stuff. He's a great frontman. Oh and SIT is one of my favorite Maiden album by the way. Very underrated... well, underrated for Maiden at least.

sure, he's a blast live, on Rock In Rio he's probably the best frontman i've seen perform in a concert, either seen live or on a recording. audience is great too, it's a shame they played so many songs from Brave New World, imo they should have played only Wicker Man, Ghost of Navigators and the title track(his vocals sound really special on it). the rest of the space should have been occupied by some old epic track from Powerslave or Piece of Mind like Flight of Icarus(the crowd would have really gone berzerk) or Powerslave. good shit.

i'm actually considering going to Budapest to catch them in concert, i missed them in 2008 like an idiot that i was.
05.04.2010 - 22:57
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Valentin B on 04.04.2010 at 01:10

sure, he's a blast live, on Rock In Rio he's probably the best frontman i've seen perform in a concert, either seen live or on a recording. audience is great too, it's a shame they played so many songs from Brave New World, imo they should have played only Wicker Man, Ghost of Navigators and the title track(his vocals sound really special on it). the rest of the space should have been occupied by some old epic track from Powerslave or Piece of Mind like Flight of Icarus(the crowd would have really gone berzerk) or Powerslave. good shit.

i'm actually considering going to Budapest to catch them in concert, i missed them in 2008 like an idiot that i was.

I dunno, man. Blood Brothers is EPIC live.

I'm totally seeing them with Dream Theater in July. I hope Maiden's new songs are gonna be better than their last album.
05.04.2010 - 23:13
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 05.04.2010 at 22:57

I'm totally seeing them with Dream Theater in July. I hope Maiden's new songs are gonna be better than their last album.

imo their last album is sorely underrated. it's not all crazy epic sing-along choruses(maybe These Colors Don't Run) but it does feel really good to listen to it. my only objection is with the extremely long track lengths like with The Legacy which seems to drag on forever.
05.04.2010 - 23:16
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Valentin B on 05.04.2010 at 23:13

imo their last album is sorely underrated. it's not all crazy epic sing-along choruses(maybe These Colors Don't Run) but it does feel really good to listen to it. my only objection is with the extremely long track lengths like with The Legacy which seems to drag on forever.

Actually, the last three tracks are the only ones I listen to often. It is def my most least listened to Maiden album. Lord of Light (the shortest one of the three) is def my fav on the album though. I listen to Virtual and No Prayer for the Dying more. XD I think the *album* as a whole is too long.
08.04.2010 - 18:15
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Written by Valentin B on 05.04.2010 at 23:13

Written by Fat & Sassy! on 05.04.2010 at 22:57

imo their last album is sorely underrated. it's not all crazy epic sing-along choruses(maybe These Colors Don't Run) but it does feel really good to listen to it. [...]

Nice to see that I'm not the only one liking their newest album. It took me a while to get into, but now it really does feel good
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
08.04.2010 - 20:22
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
You are definitely not the only one
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

08.04.2010 - 20:28
Warman
Erotic Stains
The latest album is great, when it came out it took me a while to get into it. But after many listenings it stuck with me. Damn it's already been four years since it was released. Time goes fast.
----
09.04.2010 - 11:42
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Warman on 08.04.2010 at 20:28

The latest album is great, when it came out it took me a while to get into it. But after many listenings it stuck with me. Damn it's already been four years since it was released. Time goes fast.

yup, i can't believe it was just yesterday when it came out and everyone was either completely disappointed by it or raving and i was caught in the middle hahah. as a matter of fact i'm gonna listen to Reincarnation right now
09.04.2010 - 19:06
Jร„Y
Metal slave
I dont listen to a matter of life and death too often...but when i do its fucking great!
09.04.2010 - 19:11
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
"For the greater good... OF GOD! For the greater good... OF GOD!...."
*Ten minutes later*
"For the greater good... OF GOD!... For the greater good... OF GOD!..."

09.04.2010 - 19:45
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 09.04.2010 at 19:11

*Ten minutes later*

Great song!
----
09.04.2010 - 21:07
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Written by Warman on 09.04.2010 at 19:45

*Ten minutes later*

Great song!

indeed
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

10.04.2010 - 09:14
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff

*Ten minutes later*

I couldn't agree more. Iron Maiden are supposed to be uplifting and inspiring. That album was completely lacking in any form of climax. There was a handful of potentially decent riffs that just didn't go anywhere.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
10.04.2010 - 22:44
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Doc G. on 10.04.2010 at 09:14

Iron Maiden are supposed to be uplifting and inspiring. That album was completely lacking in any form of climax. There was a handful of potentially decent riffs that just didn't go anywhere.

Indeed. It only ever feels like there are *parts* of songs I really like... Which is probably why it's hard for me to listen to the whole album all the way through. :l

Written by Ellrohir on 09.04.2010 at 21:07

indeed

Nice to know that I'm loved. XD
10.04.2010 - 23:01
Biedrik
Is it just me, or is the newest Eddie the ugliest one ever? You know, the one thats on the parts of their website promoting the next tour? It looks like some horribly cross-breed between snaggletooth and an alien.
----
I'm selling metal posters! Ask me about them if you're interested.
10.04.2010 - 23:09
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Biedrik on 10.04.2010 at 23:01

Is it just me, or is the newest Eddie the ugliest one ever? You know, the one thats on the parts of their website promoting the next tour? It looks like some horribly cross-breed between snaggletooth and an alien.

Yeah. It does look awful. The new album is called "The Final Frontier", so I think he supposed to be an alien.
11.04.2010 - 00:43
Valentin B
Iconoclast

nah, imo worst are The X Factor, Virtual XI and the one from their first album(too cartoonish).

of course, the best Eddies:

the whole cover just reeks of pure pwnage, he's just something like "what the hell are you looking at?", i actually have a photo of me and a girl which is kinda similar apart from the axe and blood hahahaah.

and this one:

i actually have a huge poster with this one right beside my bed, it's amazing.
11.04.2010 - 01:22
Warman
Erotic Stains
Killers Eddie beats all! I love that cover!
----
11.04.2010 - 03:53
Biedrik
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 10.04.2010 at 23:09

Yeah. It does look awful. The new album is called "The Final Frontier", so I think he supposed to be an alien.

I know that, but it just does not look like Eddie. When I look at it, I do not think of Eddie. I think of horrible bastardry resulting from Snaggletooth hooking up with Marvin the Martian.
----
11.04.2010 - 04:01
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Biedrik on 11.04.2010 at 03:53

I know that, but it just does not look like Eddie. When I look at it, I do not think of Eddie. I think of horrible bastardry resulting from Snaggletooth hooking up with Marvin the Martian.

I know. It'd be much cooler if Eddie was riding a Zerg Brutalisk

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20091111232732/starcraft/images/2/25/Brutalisk_SC2_DevGame3.jpg
11.04.2010 - 04:20
Lord_Regnier
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 10.04.2010 at 22:44

Indeed. It only ever feels like there are *parts* of songs I really like... Which is probably why it's hard for me to listen to the whole album all the way through. :l

This probably has to do with the (poor) kind of songwriting Maiden started on "The X Factor" and has never been fixed after. Lots of their songs are way too long and stretched for the little they have to offer.
They start with some kind of mellow (read whiny and weak) intro for 1-2 minutes or more, then it becomes more reminiscent of old Maiden (but never reaches a quarter of the intensity that was present on the old material) and the same boring and weak intro comes back at the end (or sometimes it comes back even in the middle of songs). It completely destroys the pace and flow of songs, making it very hard to keep your attention focused on songs. Their songs since Bruce's comeback have no direction, they just switch between a few different parts without any kind of build up.

Let's face it, Maiden were running out of ideas after SSOASS and, imo, Bruce was right to leave after FOTD for this reason. They came back together, probably for monetary reasons or because of the old friendship between them, but the real Maiden died after SSOASS. What so many people worship today, for a reason that is beyond my grasp, is only a pale shadow of a band that was great during the 80s, sucked major ass for the entire 90s, and never completely came out of the abyss of mediocrity they sinked in during the 90s.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
11.04.2010 - 05:34
Biedrik
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 11.04.2010 at 04:01

Written by Biedrik on 11.04.2010 at 03:53

I know. It'd be much cooler if Eddie was riding a Zerg Brutalisk

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20091111232732/starcraft/images/2/25/Brutalisk_SC2_DevGame3.jpg

You are clearly a person of great genius and imagination.
----
11.04.2010 - 23:08
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Lord_Regnier on 11.04.2010 at 04:20

This probably has to do with the (poor) kind of songwriting Maiden started on "The X Factor" and has never been fixed after. Lots of their songs are way too long and stretched for the little they have to offer.
They start with some kind of mellow (read whiny and weak) intro for 1-2 minutes or more, then it becomes more reminiscent of old Maiden (but never reaches a quarter of the intensity that was present on the old material) and the same boring and weak intro comes back at the end (or sometimes it comes back even in the middle of songs). It completely destroys the pace and flow of songs, making it very hard to keep your attention focused on songs. Their songs since Bruce's comeback have no direction, they just switch between a few different parts without any kind of build up.

Let's face it, Maiden were running out of ideas after SSOASS and, imo, Bruce was right to leave after FOTD for this reason. They came back together, probably for monetary reasons or because of the old friendship between them, but the real Maiden died after SSOASS. What so many people worship today, for a reason that is beyond my grasp, is only a pale shadow of a band that was great during the 80s, sucked major ass for the entire 90s, and never completely came out of the abyss of mediocrity they sinked in during the 90s.

I agree with a lot points you have brought up here, but *I* actually do enjoy listening to a lot of post-SSOASS-era Maiden. I just don't like it nearly as much as their previous stuff. Honestly, if you think about it, the only Maiden song during the last decade that packed a lot of classic Maiden punch (in terms of their non-epics) is The Wickerman. What I DO still like about the current Maiden song formulas you explained is that the songs are still fairly imaginative. Songs like Dance of Death and Paschendale paint wonderful imagery of the story told in the song. That's what I think keeps people interested in some of their recent stuff.

Written by Biedrik on 11.04.2010 at 05:34

You are clearly a person of great genius and imagination.

CLEARLY.

(I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. XD )
12.04.2010 - 07:18
Derwood
I've been revisiting Iron Maiden's discography in anticipation of seeing them (fuck June is a long way away). Now I cut my metal teeth in the 80's and owned all of Maiden's albums on vinyl up through SSOASS, NPFTD being one of the first cassettes I ever bought and FOTD one of the first CD's. What I'm saying is I'm a classic Maiden fan and haven't really paid much attention to anything since FOTD beyond a cursory listen until the last few days. I'm glad that I've taken the time to really listen to the newer albums.

Admittedly, the Blaze albums don't do much for me, though the first one is definitely the stronger of the two. But fuck me, "The Nomad" is one of their best tracks from any era and Dance of Death is among their best albums ("The Journeyman" notwithstanding). A Matter of Life and Death is epic even if it looses some momentum over the last few tracks. I've been missing out on some great music by ignoring their recent catalogue. I didn't think it was possible, but I'm even more excited to get to see them now than when I bought the tickets.
----
You can't fight evil with a macaroni duck!
12.04.2010 - 21:29
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Derwood on 12.04.2010 at 07:18

Dance of Death is among their best albums ("The Journeyman" notwithstanding).

Although that song is kinda an oddball Maiden track, it's majestic enough for me to love.
12.04.2010 - 22:41
Biedrik
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 11.04.2010 at 23:08
CLEARLY.

(I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. XD )

To be honest, I dont know either. Lets assume that I'm not.
----
16.04.2010 - 22:46
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
There's a facebook page, a petition, asking for Iron Maiden to open the Olympics in London.

I think they deserve it. They're certainly one of the best bands to ever come out of England.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram