A concise list of my metalhead man-crushes (now featuring ladies.)
While there is little introduction required for some of these bands and their frontmen/women, there are no words that can accurately describe such jaw-dropping talent anyhow. The albums and youtube links listed are meant to display the full capacity of vocalists' talents, not the bands' most quality or popular tracks - click the links below and behold the prowess.
Many tears will be shed on your behalf if your favourite vocalist isn't here. That being said, any suggestions are more than welcome. A star (★) indicates that the vocalist is exceptionally versatile. If you believe that a certain vocalist deserves a (currently unaccredited) star, then post a few YouTube tracks to support your case.
- Consistency with live performances
- Emotional delivery
- Ability to write aurally appealing vocal lines
- Ability to compliment the music
i.e. The style performances are judged solely on technical ability.
Pending considerations - please recommend songs for the vocalists below:
- Clean vocalist for Borknagar's Urd?
- Tobias Netzell of In Mourning
- Daniel "Ragnar" Bryntse of Isole
- Daniel Brennare of Lake of Tears
- Aaron Stainthorpe of My Dying Bride
- Juhani Palomäki of Yearning
- Mr. Doctor of Devil Doll
- Attila Gábor Csihar of Mayhem
- Dax Riggs of Acid Bath
- Sabina Classen of Holy Moses
- Cara McCutchen of Mortillery
- Rune Folgerø of Atrox
- Sharon den Adel of Within Temptation
- John Tardy of Obituary
- Kim "King Diamond" Bendix Petersen of Mercyful Fate
- Chris Boltendahl of Grave Digger
- Tom "Angelripper" Such of Sodom
- Nils Kvåle Rue of Pagan's Mind
- Lasse Pyykkö of Acid Witch
- Flemming Rönsdorf of Artillery
- Geoff Tate of Queensrÿche
- Mikko Aspa Deathspell Omega
- Martin van Drunen of Asphyx
- Greg Chandler of Esoteric
- Burton C. Bell of Fear Factory
- Daniel "Mortuus" Rostén of Marduk
- Kentha "Lord K." Philipson of The Project Hate MCMXCIX
- Johannes Persson of Cult Of Luna
- Sebastian "Bach" Philip Bierk of Skid Row
- Tommy Karevik of Seventh Wonder
- Roy "Khan" Sætre Khantatat of Kamelot
- Henrik Båth of Darkwater
- Lance King of Pyramaze
- Jacob Hansen of Anubis Gate
- Rowan London of Virgin Black
- Ray Alder of Fates Warning
- John Arch of Fates Warning
- Anneke Van Giersbergen of The Gathering
- Paul Kuhr of Novembers Doom
- Stuart "Stu" Block of Iced Earth
- Matthew "Matt" Barlow of Iced Earth
- Tim "Ripper" Owens of Iced Earth
- Tomas "Ace" "Quorthon" Forsberg of Bathory
- Rain Irving of While Heaven Wept
- John Patrick Jr. "Midnight" McDonald of Crimson Glory
Alex has some deep and resonant cleans with a pretty average scream. In order to make a valid judgement, I would have to hear him perform unharmonised cleans. Can such a performance be found?
Well The Ruins Of Beverast are a one man band, and thus haven't really done a lot of performances. The only shows thus far that Alex actually put together a live band for were for Roadburn, Deathkult, and a few other little festivals earlier this year. Your best bet is to try to find some bootlegged footage of that (on Youtube, I'm sure) and see for yourself. Alex will be the bald guy.
Hey, I know you've already put down Annlouice from Diablo Swing Orchestra, but have you ever considered putting Daniel Håkansson up there too?
For me, he is one of the most underrated vocalists in music, simply because he's overshadowed by DSO's other tremendous vocal talent. Just listen to Justice For Saint Mary if you haven't already to see what I mean